Author Topic: Long Range Rookie needs Scope Reading help  (Read 557 times)

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Long Range Rookie needs Scope Reading help
« on: March 03, 2008, 04:52:33 AM »
Hello Everyone,

I've been shooting my whole life, but it's always been close to where I would just set my scopes for 100 yards and I would be fine.

Now I'm getting into much longer range shooting where I have to adjust the clicks on my scopes for different distances and I'm really enjoying it, but as a rookie trying to interpret the numbers on my scopes dials is new to me. Is there a good article for a guy like me to look at and read? I'm familiar with calipers and other measuring instruments, but I have never had to measure anything in MOA and I'm not sure how I'm supposed to read that.

So far I just keep adjusting the elevation until I hit what I'm shooting at farther out then make a pencil mark for the range on my adjustment knob.  I have two scopes that I'm using on long range rifles and one is in 1/8 MOA clicks and the other is in 1/4 MOA clicks.

I appreciate any help! Thanks.

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
Re: Long Range Rookie needs Scope Reading help
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 07:46:30 AM »
Well it figures that I'd find out part of what I was after shortly I after posted a question I've been wondering about for weeks.  For whatever reason I was goofed up on the 1/8th and 1/4 scope dash marks.

I've got my range marked on the scope on my 223, but it would make more sense to go back and count the clicks to make sure I have it right.

I have the newest versions of the Sierra ballistics program on the way so hopefully I'll start getting squared away on this long range shooting.

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 08:08:12 AM »
http://www.biggameinfo.com/index.aspx?page=%2fbalcalc.ascx

I have been playing with this and other programs to get an idea where to set.
There is no replacement for practice.

Offline Catfish

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 12:01:58 PM »
Leupold is the only scopes I buy. Now for the numbers on the knobs. The numbers are 1 in. apart at 100 yrds. , 2in at 200 yrds. ect. Or 1 click would be 1/4 in. at 100 yrds., 1/2 in at 200 yrds. ect. For my long range gun I carry a drop chart. It tells me which number on the turret I should set to hit at a given yardage so once I range the target I can just dial in the range. My drop chart also tells me the wind drift in a 10 mph wind and the lead for a target moving 10 mhp. If your just shooting targets it`s not to big of a deal to just walk them in, but if your hunting you usually only get 1 shot. To work up a good drop chart you have to know the velosity of the bullet and I highly recommend cronographing them, and checking your data at several of the longer yardages. If your only shooting targets from a bench a Leupold 24 or 36 X scope will surve you well. If your field shooting a good variable power scope is preferable so you`ll have the lower power for close shots. If you need more help feel free to drop me a pm.

Offline KRP

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 04:23:33 PM »
First thing you should do is verify that the adjustments on your scope are consistent and repeatable.  There is no sense trying to dial a scope that won't adjust correctly.  You should also take your rifle out and verify drop information.

MOA=1.047" at 100 yards, 2.094" at 200 yards, 3.141" at 300 yards, ....

So with 1/8MOA adjustments, 1 click of the scope would move the POI .13" at 100 yards, .26" at 200 yards, .39" at 300 yards, ....

1/4MOA adjustments would be twice that.

Depending on the rifle and the target you can probably get away with interchanging inches per hundred yards and MOA out to several hundred yards.  As the range/drop increases this can/will cause problems.

As was said, practice is key.  Learn what your rifle and scope will do and then adjust accordingly.

Offline sscoyote

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2008, 02:38:54 PM »
It is important to understand the "long-range lingo," (and concepts) because this is typically how guys, and ballistics programs communicate windage and elevation correction. Counting clicks is OK, but suppose u want to use a long-range ballistic reticle, or rangefinding reticle (like the mil-dot) for downrange zeroing and/or rangefinding. This is where familiarization with these concepts comes in handy. It's also extremely rewarding to go out and make 1st shot connections on long-range tgts. just by using ballistic program calcs. matched to a reticle or turret comeups/holdoffs. It doesn't always work that way, but it does most of the time.

Here's 1 example of how it can help. I was out with my mom 1 day couple years ago, and we were shooting a big old monster gun a buddy had built, and i was elected to test it at long-range. It was a long/heavy-barreled 270 WSM built up on a Nesika Bay action with a 8.5-25X Leupold. I'd just zeroed the rig on a 200 yd. pr. dog a day before so it was "sort of" zeroed. When we got to the edge of a low ridge we were gonna be shooting off we stopped for a little just to glass for coyotes. I wasn't hunting seriously at all, and howled once before we started shooting long-range rocks and stuff. An old mange dog stood up about 500 yds. away, and started to come in at a tangent to us, Some antelop spooked him off, and when he got way out there i started ranging him. He finally stopped quartering my way at a lasered 775. I checked the drop chart i'd printed off, and quickly ran in the turret clicks for that range--maybe 14 MOA--can't remember now. I reacquired the dog in the optic, and shot. The gun recoiled a little but settled back into the same spot, and i watched that unlucky dog fall over dead right there. Couldn't believe it myself, but sometimes some pretty amazing things can happen just by understanding the "system."