Author Topic: NEED HELP IN A BUYING DECISION  (Read 1019 times)

Offline rebel57

• Trade Count: (0)
NEED HELP IN A BUYING DECISION
« on: March 03, 2008, 11:08:51 AM »
I have decided to buy a handgun,my wife supports this.She used to have a Redhawk in .357, and was quite proficient  with it, I am told, by her family members.(we,ve been married 2.5 years..2nd marriages).I am reasonably familiar with rifle and shotguns, but not handguns.One reason she would like a revolver is she would like to try deer hunting with me, but shes only 5 foot tall, and after a mastectomy, is afraid of a rifles recoil..even a 30-30...she bruises very easily...I like the simplicity of a revolver, but a 1911-style auto in 45 acp is appealing for self defense...id like to get out for $500 or less, and is a 4"barrel too short to hunt with>??pros and cons, yall...

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: NEED HELP IN A BUYING DECISION
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 12:09:05 PM »
hard to figure what you want. theres no gun that is ideal for ccw and hunting at the same time. Some will do double duty but there a compromise. First if hunting is on the agenda id skip the 45acp. It can work but its better in the hands of a marksman. Same goes for the .357s. So now ive talked you out of any hunting gun that will be handy for conealed use. If it were for a man id recomend you go by a 4 inch 629 mountain gun and shoot 44 specials in it. Theres a few problems with that. FIrst to do it properly for hunting with 44 specials you need to reaload as there isnt much out there for hunting ammo over the counter. Another problem would be that it would take up quite a bit of space in her purse. I guess if it were me id have to look at two guns. Possibly a j frame 38 smith snubby for her purse and something like a 5.5 inch super blackhawk for hunting. You could get into a pair of used ones for about 600 bucks if you shop and thats as cheap as your going to find a good 1911 or a 629 anyway. Your still going to have to find someone to load you some decent ammo for the super though. For another 200 bucks you could set yourself up with some decent reloading gear and be able to afford to take her out practiceing alot more.
blue lives matter

Offline buck460XVR

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 05:06:18 AM »
rebel....as Lloyd said it's a hard compromise to have a efficient hunting and ccw gun all in one. My suggestion would be to prioritize your needs and get one of each as time/money dictate.  You claim your wife was quite proficient at one time with a .357 revolver and you are unfamiliar with handguns. You also state that one of the reasons you want this weapon is so she can deer hunt with you.....that along with her small stature and fear of recoil, seems to say to me that another .357 revolver is your best bet. At reasonable ranges with well placed shots regardless of what others  might say will take down any whitetaill/mule deer that lives in N.A.. I hunted with my 6'' 686 as a sidearm along with my old M1917 for years and took all three deer I shot at with it. None went more than 40 yards and dropped within sight.  Within 30 yards I am still more accurate with it than my X-Frame. Seeems to me, that a gun that she is comfortable with and enjoys to shoot would be a better investment for the both of you than something else that needs to be loaded down so that she can actually use it.  Everybody and their brother carries a variety of .357 shells so factory ammo is readily available in many platforms.  A 4'' barrel would work for hunting, but I' prefer a 6'' because of accuracy and balance. New Rugers and used Smiths fall in your price range and that is where I would start. Take her shopping and get the one that feels the best in her hands. The time and enjoyment you both will get from the good times spent together is well worth the investment. Later on when you both have become proficent and you decide it is time, get a compact auto or snub nosed .38 for ccw.
"where'd you get the gun....son?"

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 05:50:49 AM »
I agree with Buck.  If your wife is comfortable with a Ruger design and you are a handgun novice then I would get her what she knows and is familiar with.  The 357 will work as a big game handgun.  A 4" will work but check the laws where you hunt, to see if there are any restrictions.  hunting is expensive enough not to add fines for not reading the rules. 
As a home defense gun you can not beat a revolver.  It can stay loaded for years and does not compress any springs.  The 125 grain either Mags or +p 38's will work.  For hunting I would look to the 158 grain bullets.  And just plain 38 Specials in the 130 grain ball for plinking and target. 
   I would look at a Ruger  GP 100 for your wife.  It is a medium framed gun that operates just like the Redhawk she had in the past.  It is a pretty heavy gun that will suck up a lot of recoil.  I would not look at the Smiths only because she is familiar with the Ruger design.
  If you want a 1911 as well.  There are a lot on the used shelves and most are only pre-owned not really used at all.  But you are saying that she is a small woman and the large 1911 design may be too big for her to manipulate.  My father is a small guy with small hands and has to turn the 1911 side ways to take off the safety.
If you are looking for an Auto I would that she can shoot I would go to a local range and rent a few different guns to see what both of you like.  I would also enroll in a basic pistol class.  My local gun shop puts on the class once a month.

Offline blhof

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008, 02:25:52 PM »
As previously stated; revolvers can stay loaded for extended periods of time, without spring problems.  Loaded auto's are compressing clip springs and if one is in the chamber and safed; the firing pin spring is compressed.  Auto's are higher maintenance for peak performance.  Many deer and hogs have been taken with factory 357's.  Shot placement is the key.  You might also consider the 38 wadcutter for practice and self defense.  They are accurate at short ranges and make a very large hole for a 38, lots of energy transfer for a low recoil round, and usually the most inexpensive rounds to buy.

Offline Davemuzz

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2008, 02:53:15 PM »
I agree with most of the above. (All but not using the 357 for deer. The 357 handgun has killed more whitetail than you can shake a stick at. Use the right bullet and put it in the lungs). Check with your state's hunting laws if you are considering a semi-auto. Here in Pa., semi-auto handguns are not legal to hunt anything with. If your wife is familiar with the Ruger, then stay with that. Ruger's are quality guns.

I have 1911's and revolvers and prefer shooting the revolvers.

Once you buy the gun, go to the range as much as you can and get both you and her comfortable with loading and shooting the gun. It's surprising how proficient you become when you practice grip, stance and focus on the target.

BTW, FWIW...I would also look at "investing" in a good leather holster for the gun. I had bot the "cheap" stuff and until I sprang the $60 for a good leather holster for my 357, I didn't know how bad the cheap stuff was.

Dave   

Offline irold

• Trade Count: (22)
  • A Real Regular
  • "Live today , for tomorrow may never come"
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2008, 12:19:22 PM »
Can't say much more than has already been said........agree with everyone, the .357 with a 6" barrel would be my choice for your wife. A few mentioned ccw....you didn't mention concealed carry, you said " self defense ".  If your looking for a concealed carry weapon , now we have to talk a shorter barrel and maybe a smaller frame.  But if she's used to a revolver.....stick with it ...Good luck

Offline cybin

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2008, 04:10:13 PM »
I agree with the above concerning revolvers. As to 1911 style auto's if your wife has small hands a 1911 might not be a good idea, my wife loves shooting her Smith & Wessons (.38, and .357) but for some reason doesn't grip a 1911 style pistol very well--what I'm saying is that the grip safety gives her problems. She shoots right handed, but has to depress the grip safety with her left thumb. She even has the same problem with both of my llama .380's, and they are a  small version of a 1911 colt style pistol.

Cybin

Offline SharonAnne

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2008, 04:40:23 PM »
get her a remington 700 in .260 remington with their best recoil pad. it won't bruise her and is fine for deer. get her a .45acp for personal defense
SharonAnne
Luke 22:36-38

Honor the American Soldier and Sailor, the source of Our Freedom

Really, it only hurts when I breath - SharonAnne

An armed society is a polite society - Robert Heinlein

THE TREE OF LIBERTY MUST BE REFRESHED FROM TIME TO TIME WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • When it ceases to be fun, I shall cease to do it.
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2008, 07:20:04 PM »
Totally agree with the drift of all posts.   Just my 2 cents:

When I lived in Maine, my wife shot my Model 19 S&W 357mag with a fair degree of proficiency. I gave it to her. At 5'4" and 135 pounds, she didn't care for my 41Mag RBH, but preferred my rifles and that 357Mag for hunting. Moving to Wyoming, the 357Mag was not legal to hunt with so became a non-issue. She still didn't like my 41Mag so stayed with the rifles, namely my 257 Roberts. On a whim, about a year or so ago, I bought a Ruger Bisley Blackhawk in 45 Colt, for me to embark on a new adventure in handloading. Really? Never happened! She shot it, loved it, claimed it for her own!! It's the 71/2" blue model, and she handles it like a kitchen spatula - totally naturally. I offered to have the barrel cut back for easier handling and she refused the offer. All she asked for was a pretty crossdraw holster. I had one custom made with her initials on it! You bet! Get HER what SHE wants that is legal for what she intends to use it for. In the long run, price becomes a non-issue, so don't let that constrict her choice by very much. Lots of stuff is available and bargains are there if you are patient. Be happy she wants to share the adventure with you!!

Regards,
Sweetwater
Regards,
Sweetwater

Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway - John Wayne

The proof is in the freezer - Sweetwater

Offline huntswithdogs

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2008, 04:55:11 AM »
I'd look  into a Blackhawk in 45LC. My wife shoots mine and is deadly with it. Recoil is easily handled until you get into the top end stuff(high velocity and larger bullet). The "Colt style handles" are the natural pointing design out there. No safties to fool with either. Just ear back the hammer and touch it off.

Have you or your wife considered her getting a bow to hunt with? No recoil or noise to contend with and the distances would be about the same as an unscoped handgun. Just another thought...

HWD

Offline warrior1

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2008, 03:29:56 AM »
you could look at the ruger gp100 6" , S&W 686 7 shot 6", a blakchawk 6", a sleeper may be the 10mm, or as some one before me mentioned, a blackhawk 45colt.As for carry guns,
that is an area i'm not too familar with, just keep buying till she finds one she likes.good shootin dan
Dan Deluca aka "warrior1" has passed away.  Dan was a frequent poster here and on several other sites.  He passed away on 12/29/08 from a massive heart attack. RIP Dan.

Offline Davemuzz

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2008, 11:48:49 AM »
........ just keep buying till she finds one she likes.good shootin dan

Man.....I keep tellin my wife that's what I'm doin......but for some strange reason......she just doesn't get it! Go figure....Huh!

Dave