Author Topic: Negative on new magnums  (Read 757 times)

Offline KW

• Trade Count: (0)
Negative on new magnums
« on: March 04, 2008, 07:31:12 PM »
I am not sure if this has been said yet, but I called H&R customer service yesterday to ask some questions on the new magnums they had in the catalog only to be told that they decided against producing them, not enough interest at the shot show. To bad I was really excited to hear about the magnums.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Negative on new magnums
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 07:33:50 PM »
Yup, old news, but thanks for reminding us of their disappointing decision.  :'( :(

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,137657.msg1098534754.html#msg1098534754
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Inrut24/7

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 11:17:38 AM »
Well they had to make a few for testing and for the pictures in the catolog,  probally a few lucky workers at the factory ended up with them.

Offline mitchell

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 04:48:15 PM »
wow thanks for screwing my day :(
curiosity killed the cat , but i was lead suspect for a while

Offline JonD.

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 06:31:38 AM »
Just pondering, do you think H&R changed the reciever and barrel lug material on those magnums?--and we'll never know now. Is there enough material lengthwise in the breech of the barrel for a safe rechambering from 7-08 to 7mm mag? or .308 to 300 mag.? Well, never mind, the rifling twist would have to be different or would it? just some ramblings of mine here, and I'm very new to gunsmithing, I am a machinist though, ;D ;) I was just thinking of how one could go about getting a magnum if they really wanted one, but as we talked about before even if the rechambering would work, if the barrel lug did set back H&R wouldn't repair it.

Hey BTW, and some of you may already know about this, but I found a great web page that gives a detailed blue-print for nearly every rifle and pistol cartrdige made it is http://stevespages.com/page8d.htm   ;)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 06:58:18 AM »
You could get a magnum out of either barrel, twist rates are 1:10" for both, but whether you could shoot full pressure factory ammo in it would be another question, you'd have to increase the size and/or support for the latch pin, I believe that's where a lot of the flex in the action happens. The underlug would also need to be fully welded to the barrel, the reliefs at the front end are the weak point, plus it isn't solid, it could be filled in with weld and refitted tho prior to rechambering.

Pressures for the mags are both over 61kpsi with a .513" case head, that's smaller than the 500S&W at .526", but the operating pressure of the S&W is ~52kpsi, and even 500S&W barrels have been reported to shoot loose, fortunately H&R replaces those that are factory fitted, that won't happen with a rechambered barrel.

I've used Steves Pages a million times for cartridge diagrams, you'll see them in many old posts at broken pic links since he blocked hyperlinking to his site, but he has a ton of good info other than the cartridge drawings. I've been using Ammo Guide for a while now, they have lots of info on each cartridge and comparisons can be created.

Tim

http://stevespages.com/page8.htm

http://ammoguide.com/cgi-bin/aicompare.cgi?sn=LqeEIqZaWc&loadset=35&xxglbl=1
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline JonD.

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 02:16:12 AM »
Thanks Tim. It looks like a guy could make it work if he really wanted to, but in the long run, it really isn't worth taking the chance on it. Kind of like that re-chamber from 45-70 or .450 marlin to a .458 win mag idea I had a while back--it would probably work, but more trouble than it's worth. ;) ;D