Author Topic: well it happened...(goodbye favre)  (Read 1428 times)

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
well it happened...(goodbye favre)
« on: March 05, 2008, 09:09:52 AM »
it couldnt last forever, and it sure was a load of fun watching him play.   what an amazing career, player, and guy.   he will be missed sorely, but good for him.  i am glad he didnt end his career on an injury, in other words, that it was his choice.   and after last season,  i think it is safe to say he is going out on top.   
   best wishes to ya, brett.

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
Re: well it happened...(goodbye favre)
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 02:48:30 PM »
My condolences to all you packer fans. I enjoyed watching him play very much and also the rivalry between us (bears fan). It will be tough to fill his shoes.
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline oldandslow

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 05:04:47 PM »
He has been a class act all the way. He always seemed to be having fun.

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 12:33:41 AM »
Favre is a class act. He had a great career.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline youthpastorjon

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 02:40:27 AM »
Well, I am sad to see him leave I am glad to see he left on a good note.  After all how many pros play to long and leave on a bad note.  (I.E. I believe Montana never should have gone to Kansas City)

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 08:11:52 AM »
Class act, I have enjoyed watching him play at several levels. He was a cocky kid at the University of Southern Mississippi, and continued to be a classy cocky guy in the pros. I am sorry to see a great career end, but it is best that he can step out on top.

Offline six_gunz

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2008, 03:13:37 AM »
Too bad he didn't get one last HOORAH. He will always be one of the greats to play QB in my book.
"I don't hunt for the kill, I kill for the hunt!"

Offline youthpastorjon

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 10:12:56 AM »
Hey Guys,
I thought  would revive this post. What are your thoughts on this mess?

Offline TribReady

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 10:53:21 AM »
Without going into this too much, because this isn't the website for it:
I've been a Packer fan forever, and will be forever....with or without Favre.
I think the 80's Motley Crue song sums it up for me:"Don't go away mad...just go away"

Hard to say that about a legend in WI, but it's time. No player is bigger than the team.  Besides, his having side deals going with the Vikings puts a pretty bad taste in alot of fans' mouths.  Enough with the poor, farm boy routine.  It just doesn't ring true when you expect special prima donna treatment.  It was a great ride with a top-5 alltime quarterback, but it's time to take the diva routine and 3 playoff wins in the last 10 years and go home.

There's way more here than we know and more than we may ever know. I've been following it pretty close (in my spare time away from Graybeard's  :)  ) 
No matter what, it's still just a game, just entertainment.  This whole drama just adds to the entertainment.  Keep it all in perspective with the realities in life.

No matter the QB:
2008 Pack vs. Vikings - Pack 2-0
2008 Pack vs Bears - Pack 2-0
2008 Pack vs Lions - Pack 2-0
A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have. -Thomas Jefferson

...if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.  -2 Chronicles 7:14

Offline tn_junk

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • A Real Regular
  • Look to Him
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 01:33:00 PM »

No matter the QB:

Might want to check your keyboard. think it may be reversing some numbers on you there.
Common Sense Ain't Very Common

Deceased May 20, 2009.  RIP Alan we miss you.

Offline Casull

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2008, 02:10:57 PM »
Quote from: TribReady on Today at 03:53:21 PM

No matter the QB:

Might want to check your keyboard. think it may be reversing some numbers on you there.

ROFLMAO.  I think you may be right.  Couldn't beat the Bears with Favre, what makes you think they can beat them without him?   ;D
Aim small, miss small!!!

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2008, 04:08:53 AM »
Now it seems the Pack is trying to pay him not to come back to training camp, what a story,
what drama, this will make a good TV show TO PACK OR NOT TO PACK. ;D
Rex
GOD GUNS and GUTS MADE AMERICA GREAT

Texas is good for men and dogs, but it is hell on women and horses.

Offline TribReady

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2008, 04:25:39 AM »
Like I said, despite what most people in WI think, it's just entertainment.  This just keeps us constantly talking about football--in JULY!

I think it's fun to watch play out.  Everyone, from kids to little old ladies, has an opinion. One thing I've seen, Favre is killing his reputation in WI.  We might not seem as "blue collar" as say Pittsburgh or somewhere like that, but we're ordinary, hard-working folks that just don't put up with prima donna/diva behavior.

I wonder which is the true "Brett"? The tough, play-thru pain, tractor driving ordinary guy or the self-absorbed, egomaniac that's holding the Packers hostage---again?

A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have. -Thomas Jefferson

...if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.  -2 Chronicles 7:14

Offline magooch

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2008, 04:31:37 AM »
I could never get past the spelling and pronunciation of his last name.  There was nothing wrong with the way he played, though.
Swingem

Offline TribReady

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2008, 04:46:14 AM »
I think from way back when, it's just easier to say and it stuck.

His family being from Cajun country (with a French influence I think), I'd think his name would be similar to LeFevre.  I've seen it pronounced La-Fay or La-Fever, depending on preference and how close you are to Canada :)   My guess is that Favre's name originally was pronounced FAY, or maybe even Fay-ver.

I think the FAY pronunciation would lend itself to too many nasty jeers from opposing fans :) , and Fay-ver wouldn't fit, cause he's not doing us GB fans any favors now :)

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2008, 04:53:50 AM »
  at this point is is obvious he is planning on coming out of retirement, and it seems as  though the guys making decisions at pack headquarters are dead set against him playing for us.  it would kill me if he ends up playing for another team.   i thought it was foolish of him to retire last year anyway, and would love for a few more seasons of watching him.    i guess i am forced into biting my nails until we see how this develops.  :-\

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2008, 05:30:31 AM »
I don't know. How much money is enough?  Why can't a guy go out on top without the meat merchants hounding him to make THEM another payday?  A body can only take so many hits. So many bruises.   

I can't remeber whether it was a famous footballeer or baseballer that was asked "when do you lose the fire in your belly?"  And he replied, " You never lose the fire in your belly. It's all the stuff you have to do to get ready for game day and all the stuff you have to do after game day that you no longer want to do."

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2008, 06:20:13 AM »
I can understand having second thoughts after retiring.  I went through the same process after "hanging it up.  What it boils down to is finding yourself with no purpose, no reason to abide by a schedule, no reason to get up, the absence of daily contact with friends and co-workers.  Many things pass through the mind during the "adjustment" period.

Looking back, how many of the old timers went through this.  How about Georghe Forman, after a period out of his game he came back even stronger.  Point is, the second thought process hits almost everyone, you will have your day too!

Offline TribReady

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2008, 06:26:45 AM »
No one is questioning WHY a retired athlete, or whatever, comes back.  It boils down to the "side deal" with the Vikings that really stinks.

There's teams out there that want him, that the Packers could trade with, but Favre doesn't want to play for them. Now, he and his agent, are considering the $20 million buyout.  It's not about the itch to play or the passion of the game, it's about the $$$$$ and having his butt kissed.

Retired guys I know, want to get back to work, any work.  It's not necessarily a money thing (but it could be for us normal folks), usually it's the sense of a "good job done"

Offline youthpastorjon

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2008, 07:21:02 AM »
The $20 mil buyout or buy off is making Brett look like a rather gifted con artist! :)

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2008, 08:35:18 AM »
yeah, i dont think the guy is about money.   i have watched him too long and he is a person to respect.  i believe he wants to keep playing because he loves to play.  and i would have to see it to believe that he would actually play for another team; and i never want to see that.

Offline TribReady

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2008, 08:48:00 AM »
I've lost the respect factor. I didn't have it at first (anyone living in the Green Bay/Appleton area back in the day remembers Favre, Chmura, and the boys taking over a bar for the night, the girls in the back, endless boozing it up) but as he got older the respect grew.

Now, instead of keeping things behind closed doors, he goes public and bad mouths GB. He says yesterday to ESPN that if not a Packer, he wants to come and compete against them within the division, preferably with the Vikings of all teams!  He has side deals with the Vikings.  What a way to show respect to the GB fans that backed him thru the drunken years, the Vicodin years, the Deanna cancer years, the father/family dying years.  Respect and loyalty go both ways.  He's made his bed, now he has to sleep in it.  At 38, grow up and go home (to Mississippi, not Minnesota :)  :( )

Offline youthpastorjon

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2008, 09:04:45 AM »
I've lost the respect factor. I didn't have it at first (anyone living in the Green Bay/Appleton area back in the day remembers Favre, Chmura, and the boys taking over a bar for the night, the girls in the back, endless boozing it up) but as he got older the respect grew.

Now, instead of keeping things behind closed doors, he goes public and bad mouths GB. He says yesterday to ESPN that if not a Packer, he wants to come and compete against them within the division, preferably with the Vikings of all teams!  He has side deals with the Vikings.  What a way to show respect to the GB fans that backed him thru the drunken years, the Vicodin years, the Deanna cancer years, the father/family dying years.  Respect and loyalty go both ways.  He's made his bed, now he has to sleep in it.  At 38, grow up and go home (to Mississippi, not Minnesota :)  :( )
Well said, he retired.  He said he did not have any more to give.  Green built an offense around Aaron Rogers and Favre thinks he can just waltz in and get his job back? In his later years he appeared to be a very humble guy but my goodness this is getting ridiculous.  He is the one responsible for tarnishing his legacy not the Green Bay Packers.

Offline tn_junk

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • A Real Regular
  • Look to Him
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2008, 01:08:39 PM »
If the Media would ignore this then it would all go away, as He should.

alan
Common Sense Ain't Very Common

Deceased May 20, 2009.  RIP Alan we miss you.

Offline coldmold

• Avid Poster
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2008, 10:37:27 AM »
Whats all the dang hype about anyway? He was just a FOOTBALL PLAYER. Not like he was anybody special.

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2008, 03:27:47 PM »
On the news tonight they said the NFL had re-instated him and he should be reporting to camp soon.

What I don't understand is why does the Packers make such a big issue about him going to another team (even Minn).  After all one man a team does not make, they woiuld have to put some thone togeather to make a move toward the champship.......is the Packers so afraid that ONE man will beat them?

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2008, 05:07:02 PM »
The $20 mil buyout or buy off is making Brett look like a rather gifted con artist! :)

I'll stay out for $10 million. ;D
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2008, 05:10:22 PM »
I would love to see him in the purple and gold. If just to stick it to the hated cheese heads. ;)
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2008, 05:11:22 PM »
According to the 10 PM news, he is back in Green Bay to play...

Cheesehead
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2008, 05:26:26 PM »
some people just never know when to quit.
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten