Author Topic: Mueller Long Range Scope?  (Read 6759 times)

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Mueller Long Range Scope?
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2008, 11:04:25 AM »
I agree with the others Rich a mil dot reticle and side focus rather than AO would really move some scopes for you. If you could do either or better yet both and keep prices in the same general ball park as now you would truly have a winner on your hands.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2008, 11:10:14 AM »
I agree with the others Rich a mil dot reticle and side focus rather than AO would really move some scopes for you. If you could do either or better yet both and keep prices in the same general ball park as now you would truly have a winner on your hands.
I agree 100%. The side focus on a scope really makes it much more user friendly and is all the rave now days. Also anyone who has used a mil dot on a long range scope would not be with out on such a scope. A regular multi x recticle is fine on your short range rifle out to 200 or 300 yards. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline jnclement

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2008, 11:15:53 AM »
I guess I'm in the minority. The dots on most mil-dots are too big if you're really doing long range, precision shooting. They'll completely cover the bullseye on an F-Class target @ 500, and you're just guessing where you're shooting.

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2008, 11:29:57 AM »
I have had a couple different brand scopes with the mill dot set up and loved them. I had no problem busting Groundhogs out to 500 yards with it. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

Offline jnclement

« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2008, 11:53:53 AM »
Then the existing Part #MT852544 should work fine, except for the side focus. And Millett makes that. Shooting minute-of-prarie dog will get you somewhere in the middle of the pack in F-Class, most of the time. I didn't start this thread asking a question about the next Fudd scope.

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2008, 01:30:59 PM »
Then the existing Part #MT852544 should work fine, except for the side focus. And Millett makes that. Shooting minute-of-prarie dog will get you somewhere in the middle of the pack in F-Class, most of the time. I didn't start this thread asking a question about the next Fudd scope.
If you look at the picture below my post you will see that the scope you speak of in on top of it. A Muller 8.5x25x44.  I do not know what you mean by the next fudd scope. ??? Dale

Offline Mueller Optics

• GBO Sponsor
  • Avid Poster
    • http://www.muelleroptics.com
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2008, 12:53:00 AM »
This particular scope will have a side focus and because of this we may have to open it up to a 30mm tube. The glass etched reticle will be almost identicle to the Eraticator but the center dot will be smaller and it wont illuminate. For those who arent familiar with the Eraticator reticle, the fine lines dont touch the center dot.. On most 1/8moa target dot reticles the fine lines touch the dot so the dot doesnt look defined. As mentioned above, if your looking for a higher power mildot scope, we already have a 8.5-25x44.. I dont see a reason to duplicate an existsing scope that just has a little more magnification and a side focus.

Thanks
MO

Offline sscoyote

• Avid Poster
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2008, 06:48:00 PM »
I got a chance to handle a couple of those MD Muellers. Both i saw were well made and as good as any less than NF/S&B quality, IMO. For small tgt. shooting (PD's/steel) I really like the MD when it's in a 2FP optic that's calibrated for lower than the highest power. That way the MD can be used for both rangefinding and downrange zeroing with a smaller dot and dot to dot subtension.

MO, is the MD dot .2 mil diameter in your scopes??

Jnclement i've been working with a Nikon MD recently that's cald. for 12X in an 18X optic. The dot diameter @ 18X is basically .5 inch. Should subtend only 2.5" then @ 500. Is that too big for F-Class?

Offline NONYA

« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2008, 05:12:04 AM »
Do they have anything in a 50 mm mildot 10x fixed with no side focus?Im looking for this combo for a new project.
If it aint fair chase its FOUL,and illegal in my state!
http://www.freewebs.com/lifealongthedge/index.htm

Offline jnclement

« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2008, 10:54:13 AM »
Coming up on the 1 year anniversary of my original inquiry. Any news?

Offline Mueller Optics

• GBO Sponsor
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2008, 12:09:16 AM »
The scope is almost done but we want to try and improve the contrast even more on the higher powers. The exit eye pupil size on 32 power is only 1.375mm (with a 44mm objective) which effects both brightness and contrast. I'm sure it would be acceptable by most entry level brands standards but were not the same as most other brands so if its not perfect, I wont release it. Sorry for the delay

MO

Offline jnclement

« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2008, 04:36:48 AM »
Sounds like a 1" tube then?

Offline Mueller Optics

• GBO Sponsor
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2008, 08:59:40 AM »
Actually, it wil be a 30mm tube with side focus and glass etched reticle.

MO

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2008, 09:29:11 AM »
Actually, it wil be a 30mm tube with side focus and glass etched reticle.

MO

Now your talking my kinda scopes. I hope it comes without the lighted dot as for me that's just not needed and just adds bulk and weight I'd rather not have. Toss in a mil dot reticle and it's the kinda scope I'm looking for.

As much as I dislike overly large objectives you might have to go larger with that much power. Again that's more at the upper end than I feel needed altho some really go for maximum upper end magnification. I prefer to top out in the 24X range personally as in my experience mirage usually rears its ugly head long before I go above that in the kinda weather I actually get out to use the scope. Even in cooler weather barrel heat adds enough mirage so that I don't like those above 24X magnifications.

For me on my real long range rifle a 30mm tube for range of adjustment mostly, side focus, a reticle that helps in defining aim points at longer ranges like a mil dot or like the Leupold B&C or Varmint reticles and a magnification range of around 6-24 or there about is ideal.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline jnclement

« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2008, 09:31:34 AM »
Let's compromise. Fine, etched mil-hash.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2008, 12:41:13 PM »
Sure hash marks, dots it matters not just something besides a plain old plex that helps in having multiple aim points for various long range distances.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline Singleshotsam

• I.T. Professional
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2008, 08:20:13 AM »
I would also like to add that I hope the elevation adjustments are the same amount of clicks between say 9 and 0.  That way your not having to do any division in your head when trying to adjust for elevation after you return to the 0.  I've seen and owned several scopes that have 8 clicks between numbers from say 0-9 and then between 9 and 0 have 4 clicks.  It really screws me up when I'm on a PD hunt trying to return the scope to the original zero by looking at the numbers.
I'm voting 3rd party in this election by writing in Jesus Christ for president.  Sadly even if this were an option most of you would still vote Republican because "It's a two party system."

Offline sscoyote

• Avid Poster
« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2008, 07:02:56 PM »
Let's compromise. Fine, etched mil-hash.

I'd like to see that also.

Offline Inrut24/7

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Contributor
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2009, 05:00:23 AM »
Im still interested in one of these new scopes when they come out.!!!!!!!!! ;D

Offline jnclement

« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2009, 07:39:48 AM »
I had originally asked Mueller about this in November, 2007. The scope should be pretty refined by now.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2009, 09:59:23 AM »
It's available with an introductory price of $199.99 plus shipping, intro price will show in the cart.  ;)

Tim

http://www.muelleroptics.com/products/MU83244TD.html
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Skunk

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2009, 10:18:14 AM »
It's available with an introductory price of $199.99 plus shipping, intro price will show in the cart.  ;)

http://www.muelleroptics.com/products/MU83244TD.html

Wow, that's very tempting. Not sure how a person could go wrong on that deal.
Mike

"Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition" - Frank Loesser

Offline snapcrackpop

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • A Real Regular
  • Baloo - blue weim
« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2009, 10:36:33 AM »
Dang it, I was going to use that $200 in my pocket for something else.
Choices......!
Got:
Handi VP 22/410, 410, 20, 17M2, .223, 357MAX, 50cal ML SS w/MU plug

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2009, 11:08:07 AM »
It does sound like a nice scope. My only concern is the 20" adjustment from center. Here is a copy of the email I received from them. Dale

Introductory Sale

Well folks, the Mueller 8-32x44 Side Focus Target Scope is finally ready!!
We personally feel the view through this scope is going to knock your socks off and for the price offered believe it is by far the best value in the optics industry!! Yes, its that good!!  For a short period time, and while supplies last (a short production run), we are going to offer you this scope direct at a greatly reduced price of only $199.95 plus shipping (MSRP $259.95).. This special offer will also include a FREE 3" sunshade and FREE flip-up scope covers (the flip-up covers are a free gift and not covered under our limited lifetime warranty).. This special offer will not last long!!!!! Our price after this special offer ends will then be listed at MSRP $259.95.  This scope will never be offered again with both flip-up covers and a 3" sunshade for this price so get in while the gettins good because once this short sale ends we will not offer it again for this price.  TELL YOUR FRIENDS BEFORE THIS SHORT SALE ENDS!!!

To speed up the process, we highly recommend placing the order through our online shopping cart, which is safe and secure.

Since this is a brand new release, we do not have information on ring heights for your application so please contact your favorite ring manufacturer and give them the scope dimensions, which are listed on the product page of our website (keep in mind this scope has a 30mm tube)..

Please be aware that by law we cannot ship outside the USA without the proper exporting permits and we do not do this on an individual basis, sorry!

Mueller 8-32x44 Target Dot Side Focus Scope

Promotional Sale Price $199.95 plus shipping.
Note: The "Buy Now" option at the bottom of the product page shows $259.95 but when you click on it, it will take you into our shopping cart where this scope is currently priced at $199.95
Please CLICK HERE for details and purchasing information.

CAUTION: This scope is limited to 40" of over-all travel at 100yds (20" from center).. If you have any major/minor misalignment issues, this scope may not have enough internal adjustment to compensate for the error..   If after mounting this scope you run out of adjustment trying to reach zero but you didn't have that problem with your existing scope, it just means your existing scope has more internal adjustment to compensate for the alignment error.. 

Offline jnclement

« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2009, 11:39:56 AM »
20" of adjustment?? So much for long range. Wonder why they went with a 30mm tube, a 1" would have worked. I take back my complaints about my Bushnell 4200 only having 25" of adjustment, and needing to be zeroed at 300 with a 20 MOA base.

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2009, 01:34:22 PM »
The thing is I always heard with a 30MM tube you get more adjustment over a 1" tube. I wonder why that is not the case here. Dale

Offline snapcrackpop

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • A Real Regular
  • Baloo - blue weim
« Reply #56 on: August 07, 2009, 12:24:16 PM »
Tim, did you get one and when is the review coming?
Got:
Handi VP 22/410, 410, 20, 17M2, .223, 357MAX, 50cal ML SS w/MU plug

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #57 on: August 07, 2009, 12:33:35 PM »
Nope, don't need one, but I just bought their new 3-9x40 Hybrid, got it mounted, but not to the range yet.  ;)

Tim

http://muelleroptics.com/products/MU3940EER.html
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2009, 11:46:13 AM »
The Hybrid might be a good scope for my 444 Marlin. I paid about the same for a Weaver 6X classic, but this has got more eye relief!
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline jalyn

« Reply #59 on: August 12, 2009, 03:18:17 PM »
I just received my mueller 8x32-44 scope and can say that i am very happy. I have not mounted it yet, but i like the clarity, turret adjustments, and over all appearance. I think this is going to be a nice scope for the money. I have 3 top end, high power Leupold scopes that i would not part with,but i do not see the $700.00 difference.