Author Topic: Pardner 12g. with fixed modified choke or screw in choke model?  (Read 2037 times)

Offline dnastrau

• Trade Count: (0)
Greetings!

Thanks in advance for any advice; this really looks like a great forum.  I have done a lot of reading here over the past week and have learned a lot so far.  I would like to get some thoughts on my upcoming shotgun purchase if possible.

I am looking to purchase a basic shotgun for a couple of purposes: 

Black bear hazing as needed; firing loud blanks and rubber buckshot as a deterrent.  00 buckshot or rifled slugs only as a last resort.  The bears that come calling have gotten increasingly bold over the last year or so.  (The loud air horn treatment isn't very effective anymore.)  We've had them on our front porch and they have actually tried to get into our cars (!)  Too many idiots feed them in the nearby developments.  I don't think a 400 pounder on my front porch is cute.  I have a four-year-old son who would live outside if he could in the spring and summer and I don't want these big fuzzy pests hanging around.

I would like to try some clay shooting.  I looked at a Pardner 12g. Modified fixed choke at Wal-Mart and it was a lot lighter than the Maverick 88 and Mossberg 500 pumps that they also had.  It felt very well made and maneuverable (the $105 price helps too.)  I also like the inherent safety of the single shot design.

Based on the proposed use for this firearm I was wondering if this sounds like a good choice, and if there is any reason to special order the screw-in choke model with synthetic stock from Wal-Mart that is on their web site for $128 instead of just buying the fixed mod choke wood stock model off the rack.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Andrew S.

Offline bighemidaddy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Pardner 12g. with fixed modified choke or screw in choke model?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 01:16:01 PM »
get it
 its a good gun. but I would also get a pump .If it comes down to it you need a 2nd shot youll
have more than one in a hurry.

bighemidaddy

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 02:13:18 PM »
I think it will be just fine for the uses you mentioned. Go for it.

If you plan on using it for different types of hunting such as turkeys, upland birds, deer etc. it would
be worth it to get the screw in choke model.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 02:31:32 PM »
I also suggest you get the screw in choke model, with the proper choke tube you will be able to use the gun for anything. For the protection and uses you are speaking off I suggest a 12 gauge with a 24" barrel, much easier to handle in the house or on the porch but if you feel better with the 28" barrel that is fine. To protect the family from bears up close and personal, on the porch or trying to get into your car I would also prefer a 12 gauge pump over the single, but for the money get the single. Who knows you may become a Handiholic and end up with a couple more guns or at least another barrel for the gun you get. You actually can do no better for your money than a H&R/NEF single barreled shotgun, as I said if you can afford the few extra bucks get he screw in choke, if not get a modified choke 12 gauge and you are good to go. The 12 gauge fixed modified choke will do everything you need of it....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 03:52:45 PM »
I wouldn't waste my money on a pump.  I have the NEF Turkey gun with interchangeable chokes.  It's great.

"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline dnastrau

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 03:54:21 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys!  I am leaning toward the screw in choke model; I just wish they stocked that one at WM...

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 02:11:07 AM »
if you order it from them it should not take to long to get in. Good Luck....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 02:23:11 AM »
Sports South (Wal-Mart's distributor) has the Pardner with screw in choke in stock so if you ordered it
it won't take long for it to come in.

http://www.internetguncatalog.com/results.asp

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline LEO

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2008, 04:00:01 AM »
I think you will be well pleased with the shotgun, I would go with the screw in tubes as well, only a few dollars more and a lot more versatility if your use for the shotgun changes.  Just a word about hazing bears, be sure to have someone standing by with something more potent than rubber buck, hazing doesn't always go as well as one would hope.  Enjoy your new shotgun.

Offline dnastrau

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2008, 04:57:48 AM »
I called WM this morning and they are calling me back about the screw-in choke model.  I expect that they will have no trouble getting one.

The point is well taken on bear hazing.  I will use a loud blank first instead of the air horn that I have been using with is no longer very effective.  If they turn tail from that I will follow it up with a peppering of rubber buckshot.  I will keep 00 buckshot on hand if things get ugly, but with these bears I don't think it will come to that.

Offline Davemuzz

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2008, 05:17:52 AM »
Screw in choke.....good choice on whatever shotgun you get. Fixed choke's are just not the thing today with the availability of screw in sets'.

MHO

Dave

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2008, 06:04:37 AM »
If you have the opportunity do yourself a favor and discard the 00 buckshot in favor of either 000 buckshot or slugs.  Either will be much more effective. 00 buck should work, but when something better is so easily available, and it could be a dangerous situation, why not use it the more effective product....<><....:)

Offline dnastrau

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2008, 07:08:46 AM »
Will do - thanks again for the advice!

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2008, 09:18:20 AM »
MSP Ret said what I was going to say about trading the 00 buck for 000 and would add that you may want to look into a tri-ball load form dixie slugs.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline dnastrau

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2008, 12:10:52 PM »
Thanks Markus!

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2008, 05:15:01 PM »
Dixie Slug Tri-Ball, great up close and personal hog and black bear "medicine"....<><....:)

Offline dnastrau

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2008, 08:33:21 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion - I'll check those out...

Offline Gip

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2008, 01:46:04 PM »
If you can try them both, it might be good.  I just bought the synthetic stocked version from Walmart and as much as I like the functionality of synthetic, it doesn't seem to fit me as well or shoulder as smoothly as my wood-stocked Pardners.  I'm thinking of switching stocks to have a choked-tubed, 3 inch chambered, wood-stocked gun with 28 inch barrel.  The synthetic seems lighter but I haven't weighed it.  It also has a nice recoil pad and probably needs it.  ;D

Offline dnastrau

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2008, 03:51:35 PM »
Well, here is my update:

I really wanted the screw-in choke model so that is what I got, and that model in the Pardner line only came with the light synthetic stock.  The factory recoil pad wasn't very effective so I removed it, made a wooden plate (actually Masonite) to replace it and put a plastic bag in the hollow synthetic stock and filled the bag with sand.  I sealed the bag (it was a cone shaped cake decorating bag from my wife - worked like a charm) jammed a few packing peanuts in the end and installed the homemade wooden butt plate with shorter screws so it would seal tightly. 

I then put a small-sized Limbsaver slip-on recoil pad on the butt.  It fit perfectly.  I also added a Hi-Viz green sight to replace the factory bead.  I even picked up an Improved Cylinder screw-in choke (Remington recommended this for their rifled slugs) to complement the factory Modified screw-in.  The added weight of the sand and the superior recoil pad made felt recoil with rifled slugs much more comfortable.  In its original configuration with 2 3/4 rifled slugs this gun would really thump your shoulder.  I can't imagine 3" or especially the Topper model with 3 1/2" slugs.  At some point I may upgrade to a wood stock as I think they look really nice.

I have run about 50 rounds of various types through it so far and it performs flawlessly.  I guess my accidental dry firing incident(separate post) didn't hurt anything after all.

I am happy with my new shotgun; thanks to everyone here for all of the great advice! ;D 

Andrew S. 

Offline Hunter_Smurf

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2008, 05:16:01 PM »
I HAVE THIS

NEW ENGLAND FIREARM
SINGLE SHOT
12 Gauge
3" MODIFIED FIXED BARREL
43"  OVER ALL LENGTH
14" PULL FROM TRIGGER TO TOP SIDE OF BUTT PLATE
27.5" BARREL LENGTH
PARDNER MODEL SB1

I BOUGHT IT BACK IN THE 90"S
IT HAS TAKEN SEVERAL DOE AND A NICE BUCK.
I PLAN ON USING IT FOR TURKEY THIS YEAR. SEE MY PATTERN AT TOP OF THIS FORUM

I CAN NOT TELL YOU HOW MUCH I LOVE THIS GUN.. I CAN RELOAD IT AS FAST AS FRIENDS CAN BOLT A SHELL
IT IS THE MOST ACCURATE SHOTGUN I HAVE EVER SEEN...
MY SISTER SHOT IT AND  SLUGGED A 1 INCH BRANCH FROM 35 YARDS EXACTLY WHERE SHE SAID SHE WAS GOING TO HIT IT.

MINE SHOOTS SO SWEET..   IF THEY ARE ALL LIKE THAT MY NEXT SHOTGUN WOULD BE ONE WITH A SCREW IN CHOKE.. JUST FOR THE TIGHTER PATTERN FOR TURKEY..

AS FOR BEAR... WELL I'M A COWARD WHEN IT COMES TO THEM.. I WANT A CANNON...LOL

PAYED I BELIEVE AROUND $89.00 BACK THEN FOR IT. AS I SAY SEE MY OTHER POST ON THE STICKY AT TOP OF THIS FORUM FOR A SIDE BY SIDE PATTERN OF THIS AND A WESTERN AUTO REVELATION  ( MOSSBURG 500A) WITH FULL FIXED BARREL

I'm not laughing at you I'm laughing with you,
                             Your just not laughing.......

Ever notice the deer we get is always smaller
                              than the deer we saw..??.lol