Author Topic: Ruger LCP  (Read 1887 times)

Offline XD9

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
  • Match Grade Makes A Difference!
Ruger LCP
« on: March 10, 2008, 02:48:24 AM »
Anyone been looking at the new Ruger LCP that's coming out this month?  It's a good looking little .380.  I'm looking for something smaller to carry when I can't carry my XD9...when I'm wearing a t-shirt or something.  I looked at a few small frame revolvers but I'm just not much on revolvers for some reason.  I prefer semi-auto's much more.  I've kind of narrowed my search down to the Kel-Tec P-11 (9mm) or this Ruger LCP (.380).  Any thoughts?  I've been trying to look at the pros and cons of both, along with a couple other smaller guns but I think these are the front runners right now.  I like that the P-11 is a 9mm and holds 10 rounds.
I'm an accountant and I carry a gun...'nuff said

Offline jeffk14

Re: Ruger LCP
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 04:01:07 AM »
I have a P11 and after I did a lot of polishing and buffing up the internals, I like it. The new Ruger will be very similar to Kel-Tec's P3-AT.  I want to look at one when they become available, but I'm a little skeptical about .380 in such a tiny package. I have a P32 which is about the same size ad it is very comfortable to shoot. If I decide to get something in .380, I'm going to give the Bersa Thunder .380 Concealed Carry a serious look.

Offline XD9

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 04:34:12 AM »
If I decide to get something in .380, I'm going to give the Bersa Thunder .380 Concealed Carry a serious look.

I currently own the Bersa Thunder .380...not the CC version.  I like it but I'd like something just a little smaller when I'm wearing a t-shirt.  I carry in about the 4 to 5 o'clock position and it tends to profile a bit when I bend over or something in a t-shirt.  I really like the size of the P11 and I'm looking forward to handling the LCP.  Hopefully, my local gun shop will get one soon because I'd like to make a purchase as soon as I can.

Offline greenjeans

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 06:45:49 AM »
I have the P11, P3AT, and the Bersa Thunder. All are good pistols. You are going to find that the P11 is about the same size as the Bersa. Slightly thinner because of the polymer frame and grips. The P3AT is much smaller and lighter and can be hidden about anywhere. The LCP is almost the same size as the P3AT but I think has at least one major improvement if the pictures are correct. It looks as if the LCP has the recoil spring retainer as an integral part of the slide instead of being a separate piece like my Gen 1 P3AT. I could very well be wrong about this since I don't have the LCP and LGS doesn't have any yet. If it is fixed to the slide, that is a major improvement in my estimation as I have searched for mine many times. My P11 has been flawless. This is my second one and the first was flawless, also. Traded it because I wanted something else at the time and then got another one.
Romans 8:38,39

Offline XD9

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 06:57:32 AM »
Anyone own the Kel Tec PF9?  I just got into doing some size comparisons and the PF9 looks like it would be a much better choice.  It's only .88" wide, compared to 1" of the P11.  It's also lighter, and has an accessory rail for compact lights / lasers.  8 rounds is pretty good for that small of a pistol too...still with a 3 inch barrell.

Offline S & W 642

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 09:33:42 AM »
XD we need to go shooting and I'll let you shoot my S & W 642 and you want one.  We really need to go shooting.
Eph2:8-9

Offline jeffk14

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2008, 12:02:50 PM »
XD, how's the reliability been for you with the Bersa? I've read a lot of threads where folks are having feeding problems. I wouldn't mind getting one & polishing up the internals a bit if it would help with reliability. I know nothing about the Bersas, but from what I read, I suspect that they tend to be like the Kel-Tec's in that they need a little "finishing work" out of the box. Also, FYI, there are now 12rd factory mags available for the P11. You can get'em directly from Kel-Tec.

Offline Curtis

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (65)
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2008, 04:52:46 PM »
I got on the waiting list tonight at my local gun store for the Ruger LCP 380.  I had been looking at the P3AT but was a little hesitant after reading about the lack of final finishing and the "fluff and buff" that is needed on many of the Kel Tec autos.  At $299 the Ruger is not much more and I'd rather stay with a name I know.

Curtis
Lord, please help me to be half the man my dogs think I am.

Contender in 17 Rem, 22lr, 22k Hornet, 223 Rem, 256 WM, 6TCU, 7TCU, 7-30, 30 Herrett, 300 Whisper, 30-30 AI, 357 mag, 357 Herrett, 375 JDJ, 44 mag, 45/410..... so far.

Offline Savage

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2008, 02:19:55 AM »
XD-9
I have a PF-9. Zero problems with everything I've tried including my lead reloads. It's light, thin, accurate, and easy to shoot. I am happy with mine.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline XD9

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2008, 03:28:27 AM »
XD, how's the reliability been for you with the Bersa? I've read a lot of threads where folks are having feeding problems. I wouldn't mind getting one & polishing up the internals a bit if it would help with reliability. I know nothing about the Bersas, but from what I read, I suspect that they tend to be like the Kel-Tec's in that they need a little "finishing work" out of the box. Also, FYI, there are now 12rd factory mags available for the P11. You can get'em directly from Kel-Tec.

Honestly, I've had the Bersa for about two years and only put about 300 rounds through it.  However, in that time, I've had somewhere around three or four jams.  Out of 300, that's not too good.  That's one reason I'm getting rid of it.  I clean it after every time I take it to the range so it's not a cleanliness problem.  I haven't shot any hollow points either.  It's almost exclusively shot Blazer Brass fmj's with me.  I'm the second owner though and the first person didn't take that great of care of it.  With a little work, it couldn't probably be a great gun.  It's very accurate and it feels good in the hand...mine at least.  The only thing I don't like about the feel is that it starts wearing on the skin between your thumb and first finger after shooting it for a little while.  My local gun shop is going to give me $150 on for a trade so, to me, that's worth the trade for a PF9.

Offline XD9

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2008, 03:35:05 AM »
XD-9
I have a PF-9. Zero problems with everything I've tried including my lead reloads. It's light, thin, accurate, and easy to shoot. I am happy with mine.
Savage

I'm glad to hear this because I'll probably be purchasing it on my way home from work today.  I've done A LOT of research the last couple of days and it seems to be the best option for me.  I went and held one yesterday and really liked it.  The guy behind the counter, who I trust, said he thinks it's THE most reliable pocket pistol on the market today.  He wasn't familiar with the LCP yet though.  All things considered, I think I'd rather have a 9mm than a .380 though.  The PF9 in stock has grey grips and a blued slide.  I may have him order me the one with black grips and a steel slide.  I like the looks of those better.

Offline XD9

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2008, 03:36:41 AM »
XD we need to go shooting and I'll let you shoot my S & W 642 and you want one.  We really need to go shooting.

I like your 642 but the cylinder still makes them thicker than the pocket pistols I've been looking at.  The PF9 is only .88" wide...VERY concealable and won't hardly print at all, depending on the holster.

Offline S & W 642

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2008, 04:14:15 AM »
Xd did you buy the PF9 last night if so I know we are going to go shooting soon.
Eph2:8-9

Offline XD9

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2008, 05:00:36 AM »
Probably going to get it today.  Yeah, we need to get out this weekend.  Weather is supposed to get up in the high 60's by the end of the week.  Good luck keeping me at my house!!  ;D

Offline XD9

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2008, 02:42:40 AM »
Bought the Kel Tec PF9 yesterday!!!  I haven't gotten to shoot it yet but I love the feel of it and it will be VERY concealable.  Now, I just have to find a holster for it.  There are many offerings in holsters for the P3At but not many yet for the PF9.  Anyone have any recommendations?  I traded my Bersa Thunder .380 for this PF9.  They gave me $170 for my Bersa...I only paid $150 for it when I bought it.  I was happy with that!  ;D

...Looking forward to getting out this weekend and testing it out...

Offline ccoorreeyy

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2008, 03:52:31 PM »
I picked up two LCP's last week for $279 each.  Fit and finish is really good for a gun under $300.  IMHO its what the p3at should have been.  One went in the safe for latter, and the other (my wife's) has been shot a little more than 400 rds and has had only one hiccup.  In my book thats pretty good.  I bought them to use when we go ATV'ing.  It won't break my heart to get them muddy. 
This is the day that the Lord hath made!!  I will rejoice and be glad in it!!

Offline BullyDawg19

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2008, 10:59:36 AM »
Actually - the new ruger is just a more refined P3AT. go to rugers website and take a look at the take down schematics and such and you will see a KelTec that's been slightly altered and dressed up. reminds me of springfield and its xd. didnt that first hit the market as a hs2000 or something from croatia or somewhere. i was so disappointed when i realized what had been done.