Author Topic: .25 cal in the .223 case...Opinons  (Read 3075 times)

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
.25 cal in the .223 case...Opinons
« on: March 12, 2008, 05:28:26 AM »
Whats your guys take on this round? I have a Handi rifle in .223 that don't shoot like a .223 should( IMO) so I was thinking about having it bored out to .25 cal and see what it'll do. I haven't found alot of info on this round but dies are readily available and I don't have a .25.
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline Ladobe

• Trade Count: (91)
Re: .25 cal in the .223 case...Opinons
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 09:17:03 AM »
I'm far from an fan of the Handi rifles and you don't give a clue as to what may be wrong with it.   But it sounds like it would be easier/cheaper to just figure out why it's not shooting the 223 and fix that if fixable, or simply buy another barrel.   Going up to a 25/223 isn't going to do much unless it takes up the slack in a chamber throat or rifling problem.  If the barrel has chamber to bore alignment tolerances that are way off, it's not going to fix that.   Could easily be you'll just waste time and money and still have a grape stake.

No experience with a 25/223.    The closest I owned was two 257JDJ's (225 Win case).   They were very accurate and excellent for long range shooting.   Some people have even used them for deer.
Evolution at work. Over two million years ago the genus Homo had small cranial capacity and thick skin to protect them from their environment. One species has evolved into obese cranial fatheads with thin skin in comparison that whines about anything and everything as their shield against their environment. Meus

Offline Blackhawk44

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 12:31:12 PM »
I'm with Ladobe.  Likely that a rebore will not help the basic problem.  If you decide to forge on, look for your .25/223 improved under the label .25 or .257 TCU.  Dies are available and 6mm TCU load data is in the Hornady manual.  Use same weight bullets, start LOW and work up carefully.

Offline Badnews Bob

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 07:38:49 PM »
Part of the problem is the twist rate, the 1 in 12 just don't like heavier bullets that I prefer to shoot, The rifle doesn't shoot bad, just kinda hohum and I have a CZ 527 .223 that'll out shoot me anyday ya wanna get it out, The other problem is me. I have a .223 that don't shoot great but I don't have a .25, so ya see what I mean? Only real reason is ....... just because.

Hills there gotta climb it.
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline Ladobe

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 12:40:19 PM »
So the REAL problem is the twist.   You ain't gonna fix that by re chambering to a 25 caliber whatever when they like the same twist range as .224 pills do.   Best you can hope for all else being equal is to gain a little bullet weight in whatever 25 pills end up shooting OK with that twist IF there is not other problems with the barrel, the re chamber is done correctly and the sun comes up tomorrow OK.   LOL

Evolution at work. Over two million years ago the genus Homo had small cranial capacity and thick skin to protect them from their environment. One species has evolved into obese cranial fatheads with thin skin in comparison that whines about anything and everything as their shield against their environment. Meus

Offline Badnews Bob

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 06:47:01 PM »
I'll be having the barrel re-bored so it will have to be re-rifled also should be able to get a 1 n 9 or 10, I'd Go with whatever is recommended for bullet size of course. But all that being said I've read up some on the 7mm TCU, It looks like it may be more to my liking in as I can easily use it for a deer round. And has much better bullet selection.
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline Ladobe

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008, 09:18:21 AM »
Your mind is made up to throw good money after bad, so have at it mate.

Small world sparky.    Started as an AE back in the Navy days (60's) but soon switched to AT and became a tweet.   ;) 

L.

Offline Badnews Bob

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2008, 05:56:42 PM »
I've always been pretty good at wasting money that's for sure, I own some very nice firearms Mausers, CZs,Remington, TC,and such but for some reason I really like messing around with my handies. I'm just not right I am told.

Funny you should mention that Ladobe, I started out a Tweet and ended up a sparky, Now I work for the army as an avionics tech.
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2008, 12:19:04 PM »
Part of the problem is the twist rate, the 1 in 12 just don't like heavier bullets that I prefer to shoot, The rifle doesn't shoot bad, just kinda hohum and I have a CZ 527 .223 that'll out shoot me anyday ya wanna get it out, The other problem is me. I have a .223 that don't shoot great but I don't have a .25, so ya see what I mean? Only real reason is ....... just because.

Hills there gotta climb it.
go for it
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten

Offline blackhawk45

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2008, 03:00:11 PM »
I've always been pretty good at wasting money that's for sure, I own some very nice firearms Mausers, CZs,Remington, TC,and such but for some reason I really like messing around with my handies. I'm just not right I am told.

Funny you should mention that Ladobe, I started out a Tweet and ended up a sparky, Now I work for the army as an avionics tech.

Why would you waste money,on a rifle that isn't worth that kind of money ?
Hunter, Shooter,Second Amendment Supporter,Handloader.

Offline Badnews Bob

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2008, 07:21:29 PM »
Because if it shoots well its worth it.  I like handie rifles I like the way they handle, I own several of these fine little rifles and they all shoot well,The .223 shoots well enuff , just not what I want, a re-bore to something different is still cheaper than most new rifles. If I get something I want nothings wasted.
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline StrawHat

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2008, 05:05:59 AM »
Bob,

I had a 30 US that did not shoot too good.  Got it rebore and rerifled and it shoots real nice now.

Good luck with it.

Another thought would be stopping at 6mm for the 6x47.  Same idea, different caliber.
"Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result"  Winston Churchill

"A law without a punishment is merely advice."  anonymous

Offline Badnews Bob

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2008, 07:20:56 AM »
Thanks Strawhat.  I tend to do what ever I want no matter what sometimes stupid result sometimes pretty good results, One of the great things about living in America at least we have these choices. For now anyway.
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline Catfish

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2008, 10:11:31 AM »
I have a 722 Rem. chambered in .25-221. This round is almost identical to the old Win. .256 mag. It`s nothing I would have built, but it was cheap. After playing with this round, I would recommend that you go with the .222 mag. case rather than the .223, but the velocity gain would be around than 100 fps. and .223 brass is easier to find and cheaper. I have never shot any thing but 75 gn. Sierrs bullets in mine and it makes a real nice little groundhog gun. With heaver bullets it should make a nice short range deer gun.

Offline AWS

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2008, 06:59:01 PM »
I did up a barrel for my Savage 11 in 25-204 (25-222Rem Mag Improved) 1-10  by 22".  It matches 250-3000 factory velocities.  100gr NPT's at 2800fps, 85gr NBT's at 3000fps and 75gr "X" bullets at 3150fps.  There is a great selection of brass and it's a straight neckup , no fire forming.  Works great on deer and coyotes.

AWS

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2008, 03:22:33 AM »
If you are matching .250 Savage performance in a case that much smaller your pressures must be up there at blue pill proof load level. I'd hate to be around you when that action finally decides it can't take that pressure any longer and lets go.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline AWS

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2008, 02:59:55 PM »
If you'll notice I said factory velocities and the 250 is loaded to quite low pressures for the Sav. 99's.  My velocities are right in line with the 257 Kimber and Wayne Blackwells work with the 25x47mm.   I'm on the Sixth loading on some of the brass and am starting to loose a few to split necks (I didn't anneal after expanding the necks) primer pockets are still tight, the there is no sign of pressure when measuring case head expansion and I haven't had to FL size yet.

AWS

Offline Datil

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2008, 01:52:33 AM »

I say go for it! If it is what you want, I wanted a 25-35, Got a new Super
 light weight 223, had Wayne York do the reboring and recamber,
 changed ejecter to a 30-30. cost a pretty penny but it was what I wanted.
 Worked out great.  Best of luck Marv.

Offline 260 AAR

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
    • http://www.kailuacustom.com
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2008, 01:03:14 PM »
The 25/223 is a hoot to shoot and perfectly capable of taking a Blacktail deer at nominal ranges. I have built several and they all have shot like there was no tomorrow! I would suggest------??? using a 1-12 twist and sticking to bullets in the 87-90 gr range however a 1-10 will also stabilize the light er bullets and you could then shoot the 100s. Remember! The 250/3000 got its fame from 87 gr bullets going 3000 fps. Those same bullets killed like lightening.  I have shot several deer with the 25/223 and they never went anywhere but down! Of course bullet placement was critical but that is true of about any hunting rifle. Fireforming is a no-sweat. Just shoot cheap 223 ammo down the tube and then reload to 25/223. I have one rifle, a little Sako 461 Vixen in this calibere and love it. Light, easy to carry and shoot, accurate to a fault a killing machine too.
Aloha, Mark
Hawaii No Ka Oe!

Offline Nessmuk#1

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
    • truedblued gunsmithing
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2008, 03:35:36 AM »
If your going to spend the money on reboring, than chambering wouldn't add much more.  I say make it a 250 Savage.
Visit my website:  http://truedblued.com/

Offline mt.bronk

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2008, 08:47:02 PM »
i know these is old but why dont you just go whith a 25 swift AI. then you can come close to a 25-06. in a small case? im a big 1\4 bore fan mysalf but i like may 25-06s just my 2 cents.

mt.bronk

Offline harrys

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2009, 08:10:20 AM »
Save your money and sell it ,,, buy a 25wssm or 2506 you'll be one happy camper. The wssm uses less powder with same performance with less recoil. I know i have both they are great shooters.

Offline Badnews Bob

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2009, 12:09:14 PM »
Don't like WSSMs at all.
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired