Poll

How often do you get "Bang flops" when you shoot deer.

Always
3 (4.1%)
Usually
21 (28.4%)
Sometimes
34 (45.9%)
Rarely
14 (18.9%)
Never
2 (2.7%)

Total Members Voted: 74

Voting closed: April 11, 2008, 06:57:00 AM

Author Topic: Bang Flops?  (Read 10082 times)

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
Re: Bang Flops?
« Reply #120 on: March 28, 2008, 12:35:34 PM »
Nonya;
  If you're asking about mine..the graze to the head knocked it out (on the spot)..cutting the throat & gutting out, killed it as far as I know; I didn't let him "come to" before finishing the job..
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Hooker

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #121 on: March 28, 2008, 03:32:51 PM »
Opps I missed the part about no arrows.  Bad day.

Jerry

I actually have a video with a twang flop shot. The lady shot  the buck straight down through spine between the shoulders. It's pretty wild to watch. ;)

Pat
" In the beginning of change, the patriot is a brave and scarce man,hated and scorned. when the cause succeeds however,the timid join him...for then it cost nothing to be a patriot. "
-Mark Twain
"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms."
-- Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, 1787. ME 6:373, Papers 12:356

Offline LeadPoison

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #122 on: May 18, 2008, 03:16:32 PM »
About 90% of the time. The first twelve deer I took hit the ground. I never knew they could run until the 13th ran 30 yards without a heart or lungs. I have taken many since then and most just drop.

Offline mattmillerrx

• A Real Regular
« Reply #123 on: May 18, 2008, 05:55:06 PM »
I have not kept track.  After reading through this thread I lost track of who said what, but someone said about half the time with there .270.  Well, I think I may be close to half with my .270 ( which is what I have hunted with since I was a kid, tell this last year) as well.  I have always taken heart lung shots.  One last thing, I have noticed is that the ones that tend to do it the most are the yearling size deer.  I prefer the does and yearlings to eat and is mostly what I take.  I have also always used soft point 130 gr bullets of several makers most recently monarc's (spelling) and core-locks.  I think I will start trying to see if  the bullets are turning to hit part of the CNS when this happens.  All have been heart and lung shots and few where high so am not sure of the cause here.
Almost forgot to add all where inside 100yrds and most around 50-70 yrds.  And have noticed the closer in they are the more like they are to drop.
MGM

Offline RaySendero

« Reply #124 on: May 19, 2008, 04:30:03 PM »
   Now, I'm going to "stir the pot"..but I am speaking only from my experience..others will surely differ..

I believe that given adequate power, that is..enough to shoot clean through the chest with a (hypothetical) full metal jacket;
   The chances for a BF rise with the diameter of the bullet. Obviously using a proper hunting bullet...not an FMJ...

OK, pile on now..you high velocity, "hydrostatic shock" fans....LOL

ig,

You can see my first post at the top of page 3.  I've killed deer with all those calibers.  Contrary to your BBBFT ("bigger, better bang flop" theory) - My 270 has produced more bang flops than the 4 other larger calibers.
    Ray

Offline prairiedog555

• Contributor
« Reply #125 on: May 20, 2008, 12:31:08 PM »
My experience has for the most part been with a 30.06 for many years.  shots mostly 75-200yd.  150-165gr bullet.  everyone has been a bang flop.  That is large Kansas whitetails and Nevada mule deer.  Used a 762x39 on deer drives one season.  Shot a large doe coming straight at me, grazing the heart.  Had to shoot again to break a back leg as she ran off.  Also used my Swiss K-31.  That also hits like Thor's hammer. 
Saw a big mule deer doe shot in the rump at 200yd with a .270 fall over and die.  That was impressive.  But I saw a deer shot good with a 7mm mag. run a long way.

Lots of variables.

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #126 on: May 21, 2008, 02:41:16 AM »
i would venture to guess that he meant a shot gone wrong, with a less than perfect hit, was still  lethal.   it should  be noted, that the femoral artery runs through the ham and if hit,  results in a very fast kill.  but,  i would not take or advocate that shot because it would ruin so much meat and it is a bit harder to hit reliably. 

Offline NONYA

« Reply #127 on: May 21, 2008, 06:36:25 AM »
You were impressed by someone shooting a doe in the ass?????

You've never been impressed by a "posterior shot" of a female?  ;D

Dave
Thats a whole different sport Dave ;)
If it aint fair chase its FOUL,and illegal in my state!
http://www.freewebs.com/lifealongthedge/index.htm

Offline james25889

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #128 on: May 24, 2008, 03:06:08 PM »
my bang flops are probably about 60% i have noticed that for some reason it happens with one of my guns about 95 % i dont know why, i always aim for the same spot right behind shoulder halfway down from spine with all my guns

Offline rem700-3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • Contributor
« Reply #129 on: July 03, 2008, 02:17:10 PM »
I have shot alot of bang flops over the years, most of them with a 22-250 or my .357 1894c with 125 gr winchester silver tips.  The .357 just in front of the shoulder if the shot presents its self  (120 yards or under) will do it 90% of the time or more. I shoot the same place with the 22-250, 270,300 and usually get the same results.   Bullet placement is the key to success. I hate looking for deer that my friend shoulder shoot. Of course we usually shoot less than 100 yards here to, much over 200 yard opportunities I will go with the 270 or 300 and shoulder or rib shots.

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #130 on: July 04, 2008, 05:44:24 AM »
So to the guys who get bang flops EVERY time. Do you ever have any deer that you completly "miss"?
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #131 on: July 04, 2008, 06:38:30 AM »
This thread has stayed alive longer than some of the deer I've made "perfect" heart shots on only to have them run. I agree with Nonya, the only time I'd shoot a deer in the ass (trophy or otherwise) would be if he was already wounded and that was the only shot I had. 

IMO, folks that have had 100% BF's have either not shot very many deer or have been shooting a different brand of deer than I have. 

Offline rem700-3

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #132 on: July 06, 2008, 08:46:52 AM »
I dont think it would be fair to say that a properly place bulet wouldnt get a bang flop every time (it will). I just have not met anyone who can achive that placement every time. I will say the size of the hole means nothing, its where you make the hole that matters.

Offline Davemuzz

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #133 on: July 06, 2008, 01:24:49 PM »

Thats something I didnt consider,maybe they are just shooting very weak deer that drop at the slightest wound

Ha..HA..Ha...LOL.....I never thought of that! Well, no wonder I only get 5lbs of meat from my deer! I'm pickin on the wrong Bambi!!!

(And no.....I don't get 100% DBF's...some just collapse when they see my trusty handloaded ammo!) ;D

Dave

Offline NONYA

« Reply #134 on: July 07, 2008, 03:06:25 AM »
There is nothing complex about shooting deer,they dont ALWAYS go right down no matter the shot placement or the round.What is complex is your apptitude for tolling up an argument while making hypocritical critiszms of other members,you do EXACTLY what you find so offensive while chastizing others for the same attitude,amazing.The one that yaps the most...hmmmm...I think you have that covered.You make a plethora of insults while hiding behind your mod status and play the defender of the weak while doing it,myro if you believe a hunter can go through his life with nothing but BFs more power to you but Im pretty sure your just trolling up another fight.

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #135 on: July 07, 2008, 04:46:42 AM »
if you believe a hunter can go through his life with nothing but BFs
show me exactly where it is that i EVER said that.   
all i have said is that all but one deer shot with my 270 were bang flops.   and the one that didnt b/f was because of bad shot placement. 
You make a plethora of insults while hiding behind your mod status
show me where exactly it was that i was hiding behide that.  or even mentioned it.   you cant.   keep on spewing.  you remind me of a broken sewer pipe. 

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #136 on: July 07, 2008, 05:36:10 AM »
Whoa, I was just trying to keep it light. And make a comment that very few could contradict. Kinda like old Bro Treadwell. He thought he had bear behaviour all doped out. He had all the answers. BUT, he just hadn't met the right bear. That's basically what I said.  I don't think it was bad enough for you to get a stick up your butt and give us a sermon.  You know what they say about preaching to pigs.  It frustrates you and confuses the pig. ;)

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #137 on: July 07, 2008, 09:58:25 AM »
Whoa again!!  My post was "folks that get 100% (keep that figure in mind, we will refer back to it) bang flops have not shot very many deer or are shooting a different brand of deer than I do."

And then a couple of guys kinda picked up on it and kicked it around a little. Then **WHAM** the door busts open and you come galloping in on your fine white horse and gave us holy hell for being so low bred as to call people liars and make them feel bad about themselves.  And generally made us feel bad about ourselves but that seemed okay with you so I said we were just kidding around. 

Then you posted that you were addressing ONLY those people that had called you and others that "REGULARLY" (keep that word in mind, we will refer back to it) get B/F's a liar.  Now then, on the one hand, if I've got a beef with someone, I don't have a problem calling them by name. I found a long time ago that when you address an office memo to "some people"  or "only those" the folks that it's intended for never get the word. 

Now, back to those isolated words.  I think you'll agree that it's a looooong way from regularly to 100%.  Hell, I get B/F's regularly. If I didn't, I'd change something about the way I hunt or what I hunt with.  If I remember correctly, I voted for regularly.  But not 100%.  Two of the not 100% deer got up after being knocked down and ran a considerable distance with awesome wounds. So I still don't think there was anything wrong with what I said nor with anything the other guys said.  Are you sure that stick ain't binding you?  ;)

Offline rem700-3

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #138 on: July 07, 2008, 02:35:00 PM »
Anyone who thinks you wont get a bang flop everytime with a well placed .22 is not living in the real world. I personaly dont think anyone gets them everytime because its hard to hit a live animal perfect everytime. I have gotten b/f'c 100% of the time the shot was perfect, but not 100% of my shots have been b/f's.

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #139 on: July 08, 2008, 02:52:08 AM »
If a non mod pulled a flame thrower expo like that hed be banned in no time
the best proof that is not true is you.   and what is funnier, is that you know that is not true; yet put it out there anyway.   i knew you were a closet liberal.

You included yourself in the 100% BF group
no, i didnt.  i voted "usually".  but facts have never mattered to you anyway.  folks, the sewer pipe is still spewing....

Offline NONYA

« Reply #140 on: July 08, 2008, 03:42:41 AM »
At least come up with some new lures,vary your trolling pattern some,this one is used up.

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #141 on: July 08, 2008, 04:35:57 AM »
Dang, did y'all have any words before you fell out??  GB's gonna make you kiss and sit in the corner if'n you don't play pretty.

All kidding aside, do y'all think the rest of us want to hear that (word meaning organic fertilizer) ?  ::)

Offline Davemuzz

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #142 on: July 08, 2008, 05:15:49 PM »
Why can't we all just get along? ;D

Offline jhm

« Reply #143 on: July 09, 2008, 03:51:02 AM »
Both of you need to take that kinda of acting like children to your PM and leave it off of here!!  No more of it or I will ask GB to get involved, we all want our opinions read and understood but there is a limit and you have crossed it.   JIM