Poll

How often do you get "Bang flops" when you shoot deer.

Always
3 (4.1%)
Usually
21 (28.4%)
Sometimes
34 (45.9%)
Rarely
14 (18.9%)
Never
2 (2.7%)

Total Members Voted: 74

Voting closed: April 11, 2008, 06:57:00 AM

Author Topic: Bang Flops?  (Read 10091 times)

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
Bang Flops?
« on: March 12, 2008, 06:57:00 AM »
This is being debated on another forum.

How often do the deer you shoot with a bullet drop in there tracks and die?
(I think we will leave the arrows out this time)

No tracking and no follow up shot.

Offline Castaway

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Bang Flops?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 07:39:46 AM »
It's not that uncommon for me.  With my 45-70, I'm sighted 3" high at 100 and often hit just below the spine.  When that happens, the legs generally fold up and the deer falls down.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 07:56:35 AM »
Rarely. I don't aim for the "bang flop" but rather for the heart/lungs and that is not a bang flop shot so I rarely see them do that. In fact I don't recall EVER seeing it happen with that shot but a few times when circumstances caused the bullet to hit the central nervous system CNS instead or in addition to my more normal aim point it has happened.

Unless you shock the CNS pretty heavily you are hardly ever going to get a bang flop and if you are aiming for the CNS you're going to wound and lose or miss and lose a lot more deer than when aiming for the heart/lungs due to the smaller target area.

That high lung shot that goes high enough to shock the spine is a dangerous shot to take really and if you go just a wee bit too high there is a band of muscle there that is not a deadly shot at all. It is responsible for the infamous "it fell to the shot but got up and ran off as I was walking up to it" shot.

I prefer to punch a hole in both lungs and get an exit for a good blood trail to follow a short distance to a dead deer. The margin for error on a CNS shot is very very small.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline gr8ful

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 08:03:22 AM »
Rarely have I had deer run more than 50-75 yards most pile up within 25, maybe 50% drop instantly.  Most of my hunting is from elevated box stands over food plots where I have PLENTY of time to pick my shots.  The rest are in thick woods where ranges are close (less than 50 yds).  I hunt with many different chamberings from 22 hornet (legal here in LA.) to .500 S&W.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 08:05:05 AM »
Rarely. I don't aim for the "bang flop" but rather for the heart/lungs and that is not a bang flop shot so I rarely see them do that. <snip>
I prefer to punch a hole in both lungs and get an exit for a good blood trail to follow a short distance to a dead deer.

Once again a +1 from me.  Ol' GB saves me a lot of typing!  (how's that for kissin butt!?) but then we GB's got to stick together...

Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline flintlock

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 08:33:25 AM »
Man, you can tell it's the off season and we are all bored!! :D

I will say, when I need a bang flop, I can consistently do it...Some of the swamps and cut overs I hunt I need a bang flop so I don't have to go tracking through the water and muck, add the bears and coyotes and I will sacrifice some meat to recover the rest...

I've also noticed that I take this shot when using my inline because with all the smoke and sometimes sparse blood trail it just makes recovery easier...Lung shots are great, if conditions warrant, in these situations that's what I take...

With a broadside deer, I put the bullet through the shoulder blade, with a quartering towards, I put it at the base of the neck...Most of these shots are within 150 yards and with a proper rest I feel that a good rifleman with a center fire should be able to execute it...

I too usually  hunt from a climber with a rest or a tower stand with a padded shooting rail...

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2008, 08:42:30 AM »
I also generally go for the heart/lung shot,
so I have only had a few drop.

Two I hit high this year and got the spine (turns out the gun was shooting high)
and one I remember was so close to my 30/30 the muzzle blast may have knocked him down.
:)

Offline NONYA

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2008, 08:48:35 AM »
I like a center shoulder shot,break bones AND put a hole in the circulatory system,I do make some headshots on does,this is when I see a few true to life BFs.I dont see any votes for always yet,Myro get over here and vote!BTW I voted rarely.
If it aint fair chase its FOUL,and illegal in my state!
http://www.freewebs.com/lifealongthedge/index.htm

Offline Davemuzz

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2008, 09:08:39 AM »
I'm a "pulmonary system" shot guy. For me, that's the high percentage kill shot. Now, with that being said, this year, for what ever reason, I killed 3 deer. First with my 45-70 405 grain Cast Performance bullet. Hit the deer in the front just left of the brisket. Bullet exited thru the right leg while taking out the plumo system. Bang-flop. Deer #2 I shot with my 44 mag. 200 grain Hornady hollow point XTP at 40 yards. Broke both front legs while taking out the pulmo system. Bang, flip, flop. Third one was with a muzzle loader. Nothing spectacular.

Point is I was going for a heart\lung shot. Close I'll aim a bit low and go for the heart. Longer shots that's a bit too risky as the lungs are a bigger target. But that's just me and that's how it went this year. However, it was nice to not have a long up hill down hill cross the creek, thru the brush tracking to do.

Dave

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2008, 09:57:48 AM »
I have noticed that they usually cross the creek before giving up.
:)

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2008, 11:22:21 AM »
Heart & lung. Used to aiming there (bowhunter) Mine run from 30 to 60 yards With a blood trail.  That being said My deer this year didnt give me a broadside shot so I shot him thru the spine 50 yards from a treestand. That was a bang with 2 or 3 flops.
I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting

Offline BRL

• A Real Regular
    • Premium Nutrition
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2008, 12:20:59 PM »
I am somewhat new to hunting (but not to shooting) so I really don't know what the reason is for my luck. I have taken 5 animals in my short stint of hunting. All of them have gone straight down. With the exception of one, a spine shot (not aiming for the spine...got lucky. I was shooting at a deer higher than me, fairly close, and the shot went high) all have been heart or heart/lung hits. Now, 3 weren't killed immediately, just went down and didn't get up. Those were hogs and they kicked while on the ground for a few seconds to one that kicked for about 20 seconds. Then there was an Axis that was hit in the heart, went straight down and died right away, or at least didn't move but was dead when I walked up to it.

All animals where shot with the same rifle in .30-06 and at 100 yards or under with Remington 150 grain Core-lokts. Again, I really don't know what was truly the cause of these incidents. I am hoping my luck stays the same but I know it won't. Also, I have passed on dozens of shots I just didn't feel right taking. So, maybe it was careful shot placement...the round I was using, etc...I don't really know.     
B. Leeber
Nutritional Biochemist

Offline NONYA

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2008, 01:40:02 PM »
We are talking about deer.
If it aint fair chase its FOUL,and illegal in my state!
http://www.freewebs.com/lifealongthedge/index.htm

Offline rural17

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2008, 02:27:54 PM »
Have to agree with GB on this one. I only aim for a double lung shot with my
45/70 Contender, last 5 years 7 bucks good enough for me.  ;D

Offline flintlock

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2008, 05:41:08 PM »
That might be the problem...Ya'll ain't shooting enough....

I killed 9 deer this year...NC had free doe tags and I took advantage.... ;D

If gas keeps going up, I might have to take a few more, just to eat!!!

Offline .357 shooter

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2008, 08:34:42 PM »
I am a bottom 1/3 of the deer heart and lung man. Sometimes see drop and flop, but mostly rare.

New York State! Home of high Taxes......

Offline Davemuzz

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2008, 12:44:08 AM »
I am a bottom 1/3 of the deer heart and lung man. Sometimes see drop and flop, but mostly rare.

Well....ya need to shoot 'em with a caliber that start's with a "4". Any caliber will do....as long as it begins with a "4" it opens up a bigger wound channel. The 357 will work fine, but you will just have to walk to fetch 'em back!  ;D

Dave

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2008, 01:26:16 AM »
  I have probably not taken as many deer as some of the guys here, but usually they are bang-flop. Until the last 2 years, my area has been a "shotgun only" area,
  And I believe a 12 ga shotgun w/Foster slug has a high percentage of the quick kills, with it's sledgehammer effect.
   One thing that ups my opportunity for bang-flop is that I won't shoot at a running deer unless it is straight toward or away from me. Also, my hilly country usually limits ranges.
      Last two were .44 mag and 30/30....44 took two shots, but the buck dropped in his tracks, don't know why he didn't drop with first shot..they were within 2"
  of each other, and destroyed the heart.
  The 30/30 was 170 gr and the buck did a complete back flip, landing just where he stood, with legs folded under. These last two were at about 40 yards each..
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Savage .250

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2008, 02:10:24 AM »
     B/F:  When I pull the trigger that`s my bang. When and where the deer hits the ground that`s my flop. So I
         guess I do get my version of the B/F .  Looks like different B/F`s for different folks.
          If there are some who always get the B/F, A tip of my cap to you.   
" The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but in the experience."

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2008, 03:52:39 AM »
i voted usually.  because about 1/2 of my deer kills have been with my 270, and the rest were killed with a variety of weapons.   the 270 is the only weapon i have used that reliably puts them down on the spot and has failed to only once, and that was my fault as i hit it back a little too far.   
  i usually go for lung shots, but the last few years the only shot i had involved taking out the front shoulder/leg, so i did.   
   anyone can come sit with me next year, and see for yourselves.   at least have guts enough to do that before you call me a liar.   the invitation is open, my money is where my mouth is.   

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2008, 03:54:10 AM »
wow.  27.3 of us are f.o.s..  amazing.  ::)

that is 27.3%  modified to avoid misquotes and confusion.....  ;D

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2008, 04:29:47 AM »

Offline Davemuzz

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2008, 04:31:33 AM »
MM3,

I don't think you are FOS. Unless you think you are FOS. Then if you think your are FOS....then you must be FOS. But....if you hit a deer low in the chest, and take out a leg...or both legs if they are position right, you have just destroyed the pulmo system that pumps the blood to the animals brain. No blood flow...no brain function. The 270 is plenty enough bullet to destroy the plumo system and give you the "bang flop" that this post discusses.

I think a hit in the pulmo system by a small caliber would be different. You know, like a 22lr, 22 mag, or a 17hmr. Something like that which has not hit any heavy bone. It will poke a hole in the pulmo system....but that deer is still going to run before the loss of blood flow makes it tip over.

Dave

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2008, 06:28:49 AM »
Only 23 have voted.
opps!   i meant to add the % sign behind that....27.3%

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2008, 01:51:01 PM »
I had to check usually because I've had 2 that didn't.......I would have preferred to vote most always.....
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2008, 01:57:52 PM »
When I first got my 7mm mag, I used hand loads with a max charge of 4831 and  Hornady 120 grain hollow points. I shot six deer with that and load and all were bf. That would be 100%.

I suppose the keyboard truth warriors will be coming for me now. Oh well.

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline Davemuzz

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2008, 02:59:55 PM »

I suppose the keyboard truth warriors will be coming for me now. Oh well.

Cheese

Yeah.....well we can tell it's not true 'cause of that keyboard flicker when you type your "e's". There's a special infra-red software detection...plus the funny lookin glasses that you have to wear to pick this stuff up.

Dave

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2008, 03:57:03 PM »
 ;) :D ;D
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2008, 09:26:11 PM »
  I rarely have had that happen unless the spine/neck was hit. The deer I harvested this year dropped and just kicked for several seconds and died. I used one load of 9-pellet 00 buckshot through the lungs at 6 yards.

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2008, 03:25:08 AM »
I used one load of 9-pellet 00 buckshot through the lungs at 6 yards.

That might bang flop a Buick. ;D  :D ;D