Poll

How often do you get "Bang flops" when you shoot deer.

Always
3 (4.1%)
Usually
21 (28.4%)
Sometimes
34 (45.9%)
Rarely
14 (18.9%)
Never
2 (2.7%)

Total Members Voted: 74

Voting closed: April 11, 2008, 06:57:00 AM

Author Topic: Bang Flops?  (Read 10092 times)

Offline Mohawk

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Bang Flops?
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2008, 04:27:09 AM »
 Weird thing is that only 3 of the 9 pellets exited. Very effective though!!

Offline plumberroy

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2008, 04:38:05 AM »
when I lived in w.v. I shot a 45-70 (300 grain sierra hp's 1900 fps) I always shoot for middle of chest just behind  front leg Out of the last 5 deer 4 were b/f's  5th one made one jump  and collapsed when his feet hit the ground
Roy
Every breath I take as a Free man was paid for with the blood of an American Soldier

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2008, 05:01:45 AM »
  Next year I'm going to flash a picture of my ex-wife to any unsuspecting deer and see what happens ;)

If trends in nervous system behavior are similar I should be well stocked with venison and improve my bang flop percentage :P

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2008, 05:44:33 AM »
  Next year I'm going to flash a picture of my ex-wife to any unsuspecting deer and see what happens ;)

;D ;D

I am somewhat qualified to answer the BF question...
In the last four years, 2004 through 2007 I have had "0" but took all of these deer with a handgun.

In the years 1981 through 2003 I had the BF happen enough times with a patched ball out of the .50cal blkpwder that it was not a suprise anymore.
My fellow hunters who were using shotguns and slugs during this time period were getting a very low percentage of bang-flops.
With most all of the shots being in the 30 to 50yd range, The only thing that I can think of that might have gave me the advantage was the Higher velocity of my ball (just over 1,850fps) which I think tended to shock the CNS much greater than the slower moving 12ga slugs at the same said distances. Most of these were frontal shots but I can think of at least four that were broadside near the junction of the top of the heart.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2008, 05:59:41 AM »
anyone can come sit with me next year, and see for yourselves.   <snip>   the invitation is open, my money is where my mouth is.   
COOL!!!   :o  Where are you located at?  ???  Up north I hope!  I always wanted to kill one a them big yankee deer I heard about!  ;D  (Durn spell check INSISTS on trying to capitalize yankee! >:( ) Anyway, I really do 'preciate the invite!  You can put me up any old place but I kinda like firm mattresses... and I do got me an appetite!  So how 'bout having the chief cook and bottle washer at your place come up with some personal and local specialties for breakfast, lunch and dinner (or breakfast, supper and dinner... whatever, but I got's to have me 3 squares a day!)  Speakin of local specialties, I'm a beer drinker and if'n ya got's any of them local micro-brew houses I'd love to try all of them.  If ya ain't got none, no problem, don't put yourself out none, just about any good imported beer will do.  Just none a that "lite" stuff!  Well, maybe for breakfast, but never after noon.  Now don't get me wrong, I been known to take a taste of likker onect in a while, but it got to be good sippin likker!

Now, about the huntin!  Stands!  y'all do hunt from stands where you be at dontcha?  I 'spose we could sit in a buddy stand but that might be a little to close for comfort... 'sides, people tell me I snore and I'd hate to disturb your early mornin nap if I do!  (I ain't nothin if not a considerate guest!)  Speakin of considerate, I KNOW you will insist on me takin the first few shots and bein the gracious guest I am I'll be happy to do it, which reminds me... if I do hit one a them brown things, I 'spose you got a place that will cut it up and ship it home for me.  I know that can get expensive but I wouldn't worry about the cost none if I was you.  Most times my eyesight is a little blurry... especially if I've had a, um, big breakfast.  ;)  Which actually is another reason I prefer to hunt from stands... sometimes my walkin gets a little ... unsteady.

You want I should bring my .270?  Even with all the added fees the airlines are charging I don't think you'll have to pay extra for it.  OH!  that reminds me!  I'll shoot ... HAHAHAHA!  I made a punny!   ;D ;D ;D ;D  No, no, <snort> I'm okay <heehee> I'll email you my address so you can send me my tickets when huntin season gets close.   :)

Your friend and fellow flopper,
Richard
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline John020769

• Avid Poster
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2008, 06:04:05 AM »
Maybe I did not understand the ? but to Me a bang flop is dead right there . So I voted never ,only 1 have I ever had to track ,the rest were even with bow dropped under 50yards. Now the 1 I had to track I was young just got My first handgun (S&W 357 4" barrel) got good with it ,I thought, could hit a milk jug at 100Yard's. ever time . Small buck came in about 50+/- Yard's stopped put 1 in the broiler room right down and back up and gone ,snowed that morning tracked several hundred yards found him in cornfield needed 1 more to end it . I live in shotgun only or handgun zone and much older now put your shot in the kill zone and know your guns limits ,shoot at the range for the killing power for that gun, never shot farther even if You can hit the target ballsiest are a must to kill your game not a target ..............John

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2008, 07:25:36 AM »
northern wisconsin.
 i'm not paying anyones way here, or paying anyones expenses, but you get here and i'll take you out there.  manners are to minded, my family respected, a drunk fest it will not be (although a drink or two isnt out of the question), and ALL laws are to be obeyed.   while i am a good host, if those rules are broken, super bad things will happen in the blink of an eye.
   altlaw, you are welcome to come on up.  you have been decent, i would even let you hunt. 
   the only thing i would request in return would be that you be truthful about what you witness. 

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2008, 08:30:15 AM »
i'm not paying anyones way here, or paying anyones expenses, but you get here and i'll take you out there.  manners are to minded, my family respected, a drunk fest it will not be (although a drink or two isnt out of the question), and ALL laws are to be obeyed.   while i am a good host, if those rules are broken, super bad things will happen in the blink of an eye.

WOW!!!  :o  That doesn't sound like any fun at all!! :-\  yankee hospitality and Southern hospitality obviously ain't the same thing!    :'(

the only thing i would request in return would be that you be truthful about what you witness.

Oh common!  I'm a lawyer!  Just pay my hourly rate while I'm there and I'll say anything you want me to!  :P

Seriously, and that's a word you will seldom hear me start a statement with, I hate to see a man put into a position where he feels he has to justify his words.  You made a statement, others are free to give it as much credit as their personal experience will allow and to, in turn, make their own statement on the subject which you are free to accept or reject in part or in whole. Common decency and good manners should preclude anything but.

FWIW:
(1)  I don't remember a BF that wasn't a CNS shot.  AFAIR, all heart/lung shots resulted in the deer traveling between 1 step and 100 yds.  I don't shoot shoulder shots, bad for the meat.
(2)  I like Nosler BT's, can't say anything bad about them.
(3)  I think the .243 is marginal for deer.
(4)  I want an exit wound, preferably on the opposite side of the deer's chest from the entrance wound.
(5)  I think Catholics are as Christian as anybody else
(6)  I think the "choice" is made when you have sexual relations without giving due consideration to the possibility of pregnancy.

YMMV... did I leave anything out?
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2008, 08:40:24 AM »
motorcycles? ;D

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2008, 09:04:48 AM »
motorcycles? ;D

Oh Ya! thanks!

(7)  I think anyone who rides a "crotch rocket" isn't really a biker.
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2008, 09:15:28 AM »
motorcycles? ;D

Oh Ya! thanks!

(7)  I think anyone who rides a "crotch rocket" isn't really a biker.

Sounds like a great topic for a new thread.

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2008, 09:22:11 AM »
I think anyone who rides a "crotch rocket" isn't really a biker.
i dont care what a brother rides, as long as it isnt another brother.  :o

Offline Davemuzz

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2008, 09:25:48 AM »
(Durn spell check INSISTS on trying to capitalize yankee! >:( )
Richard

Richard, that's because ""Yankee" is a proper noun and should be capitalized. Just like capitalizing your name. If you didn't do that....it would also be incorrect.

Oh...and if crotch rocket riders are not bikers....what are they? (BTW, I agree they are not bikers.....but I dunno what they are ??? :o :P)

Dave

Offline plumberroy

• Contributor
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2008, 09:32:08 AM »
I want an exit wound, preferably on the opposite side of the deer's chest from the entrance wound

I can do that long ways .was walking up to a "dead deer " told my cousin to load his rifle   his answer  was the deer is dead when we were 15 foot away the "dead deer" stood up and took a step towards us while cous was diggin'for a round  I shot it with my 45/70 handi, bullet went in  front shoulder 45ed through shoulder blade upper leg joint any part of the lungs the bullets did not damage the bone fragments did, hit  the bone in the opposite side ham  before exiting  It was not pretty :o the deer did not get up again
roy
Every breath I take as a Free man was paid for with the blood of an American Soldier

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2008, 09:45:59 AM »
 A .243 is marginal? I did not know that! I better call the taxidermist and meat processor and tell them they were handling a live animal the last 34 deer they were given. I'm glad someone said something. Thank you for correcting me of my poor caliber choice the last 22 years.

Offline Davemuzz

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2008, 09:51:30 AM »
Roy,

If there is a "down side" to the 45-70....I would say that is one of 'em. If your shootin hollow point bullets, and you get a quartering too shot....and that bullet is gonna exit thru the hind quarter...man....you just lost that hind quarter and that's 30% of the "good meat" on a deer.

That's one of the reasons I shoot a solid lead bullet from my 45-70. No bullet expansion. Same size hole out as in. I will not (even shooting lead bullets) take a quartering too shot where I believe the bullet is going to exit thru the hind quarter (I will take it if the exit is thru the rib.....if I think I have the correct angle).

But hey.....that's just me.

Dave

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2008, 09:54:21 AM »
Sounds like a great topic for a new thread.

Cheese

It do don't it!  We don't want to hijack this thread!  I'll go over to another forum (general discussion?) and start one ... sometime...
 ;)

i dont care what a brother rides, as long as it isnt another brother.  :o

"Broke Back Bikers?"  another topic!  Also, how about this for a topic: who do we call "Brother?" Perspectives from the independant rider and MC member viewpoints.

Richard, that's because ""Yankee" is a proper noun and should be capitalized.

A rule obviously thought up by a yankee...

If you didn't do that....it would also be incorrect.

You ain't from around here are you boy!?

...and if crotch rocket riders are not bikers....what are they? (BTW, I agree they are not bikers.....but I dunno what they are ??? :o :P)

Another topic!  We ought to ask for a bike riders forum!
Answer:  Girly men?
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2008, 10:05:53 AM »
  Its cool. We can keep it on bikes. However, no deer I've nailed the last two decades has walked away from a .243....at least more than 50 yds. They would'nt be much use on a Harley......

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2008, 10:10:14 AM »
I can do that long ways
roy

Great!  I think "over penetration" is right up there with "almost virgin" when it comes to non-sensical statements!   :P

A .243 is marginal? I did not know that! I better call the taxidermist and meat processor and tell them they were handling a live animal the last 34 deer they were given. I'm glad someone said something. Thank you for correcting me of my poor caliber choice the last 22 years.

<sigh>  :-\  you guys make me want to  :'(  You KNOW I would never presume to correct anyone... well, unless I was being paid for it...

Geeeese I love this site!   ;D  But, the originator's topic was "Bang/Flops" so I'll say nothing more....for fear of getting... dare I say ... Moderated.
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2008, 10:19:53 AM »
moderated i can handle.   

and i like different opinions and experiences, even different tastes.  one guy's choice may make him happy, but others might choose another route.   it adds flavor and a fellow might learn something if he isnt careful.   
   my problem exists with know-it all finger-pointers; a.k.a. "self appointed true police". 

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2008, 10:28:42 AM »
 You're right. This is fun. My family originates from Dalton GA. They used to run deer into water and tickle off a couple of .32 Rimfires. I stepped up to legal firearms here in Texas......... We are all sportsmen and debating is what makes us Americans......Cheers my friends......Hope to hunt with ya'll soon!!!! Thanks for a good discussion.

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2008, 10:32:28 AM »
  Ease up yall. We are in the off season and we have little to do. Cool! Lets just have fun. We have more interests than most marriages so lets just learn from each other. Afterall, I learned that a .243 was a marginal deer cartridge :P    Glad I did not mention the .218 Bee.......

Offline Davemuzz

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2008, 01:55:25 PM »

Richard, that's because ""Yankee" is a proper noun and should be capitalized.

A rule obviously thought up by a yankee...

If you didn't do that....it would also be incorrect.

You ain't from around here are you boy!?

Well, Richard....no. I'm not from around here. Actually, I'm a Navy brat. My Dad's a Gerogia boy (Ringold) and my Mom's from Pennsylvania. I've lived in Washington D.C., Philadelphia, San Francisco, Hawaii, and then back to Pittsburgh....all of that before I was 13. I'm now in my 50's and a retired CPA. So...if you need any tax code deciphered...let me know.

BTW, if you spell Rebel without a capital "R" that would be incorrect also. However, since you went to Law school...you are the master of language.....and I'm not telling you anything you don't already know. ;D

Dave

Offline plumberroy

• Contributor
« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2008, 02:57:05 PM »
I once had 3 does lined up side by side by side  ;D the thought crossed my mind( it went as far as me dropping a 500 grain lead bullet in the gun) then I came back to my senses 
First I did not  have a witness >:(
One of them would not have been legal >:(15- 18 years ago I hunted  for food so that wasn't a major concern)
I all ready had lots of meat ;D
I had a cold/flu and did not feel up to cleaning 3 deer shooting an illegal deer back then was not a big concern. shooting somthing and not using it  Is somthing I can't live with
Did I mention I did not have a witness ;D
Roy

Offline NONYA

« Reply #54 on: March 14, 2008, 03:08:33 PM »
LOL,would have been a hell of a show though!I have seen a few double kills and none of them were intentional,its always a suprise when two critters fall instead of one.New Q,how many of you get synchronized BFs when you shoot 2 deer with one shot?
If it aint fair chase its FOUL,and illegal in my state!
http://www.freewebs.com/lifealongthedge/index.htm

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2008, 04:13:09 PM »
This year in NC, I lined up two doe deer so that their necks were perfectly in the line of sight, and had a double bang flop.  This was accomplished with a 7mm-08 and an older Barnes bullet.

I don't always get a BF, but I prefer one.  Tracking deer where I hunt is not a pleasant experience.  Nor is dragging one out from deep within the woods.

Offline High Brass

• Contributor
« Reply #56 on: March 16, 2008, 06:12:13 AM »
I typically get a bang-flop or a bang..trot, trot, trot, flop.  Either one is fine with me.  I've only had maybe 2-3 deer leave my sight after the shot, the rest just dropped on the spot or never left my sight, which works for me to.  One thing I've learned though is to never expect the bang-flop and be ready for anything after that shot!

Offline Davemuzz

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #57 on: March 16, 2008, 09:20:54 AM »
Stories being what they are....one of my hunting buddies this year lined up on a nice doe at about 60 yards. Put the cross hairs on her shoulder (oh..BTW...he is a "one eye" scope shooter like myself....I know...I know...if you have 'em both open bla, bla, bla.....but it's like this...it aint gonna happen...so don't go down that road) and just as he was squezzin the trigger he said their was a brown blur in the scope. Well, the doe's spring young one happen to step "into" the crosshair.  Took her head pretty much off and the big doe went about 20 yards and dropped. Hey, these things happen.

Dave

Offline gr8ful

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #58 on: March 16, 2008, 03:10:36 PM »
when I was a kid several of my relatives were prone to shoot deer at night ::).  I have witnessed several umm pop-flops with .22 shorts.

Offline super mario

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
    • boardstobeauty
« Reply #59 on: March 16, 2008, 04:50:36 PM »
95% of the deer I shoot are bang flops as I hit them in the neck.  The last 9 deer and 2 hog have been dropped in there tracks to my .22 Hornet. As a matter of fact nothing has taken a step from my Hornet all neck shots except the hogs which were head shots.