Author Topic: Promised .44 mag report  (Read 1369 times)

Offline Ranger J

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Promised .44 mag report
« on: March 14, 2008, 03:21:22 PM »
It is amazing how much your groups close up when you have the scope mounts tightened down good (see previous report).   I finally got over my cold enough and the weather co-operated enough that I could make it to the range to give the .44 barrel another try.  I loaded up 5 different loads.  #1. 240 Mag tec JSP over 23 gr H110.  #2. 240 JSP Mag Tec over 7gr Red Dot.  #3. 180Gr Hornady XTP over 29 gr H110.  #4. 180gr cast OT over 9 1/2gr AA#2.  #5. 240gr cast OT over 9gr AA#2.

At 50 yards everything gave me a recognizable group.  This was not usually so with my previous .44 barrel.  The worst group was the 240 Mag Tecs.  While I got a three inch group with most of the ten rounds there were a couple of definite fliers.  I will have to try Th's load again as I might have been at fault.  The best group was with the 180 gr XTPs.  These were about 1 1/2 inches.  The Red dot as well as the AA#2 rounds all came in about 2 inches.  I was really surprised at the how well the two cast rounds shot.  I still have some fine tuning to do but if everything keeps as is I will probably set the barrel up to shoot one of the two cast loads as these are cheap to shoot.  The fact that the barrel shot the 180gr- XTP well probably means that it will also shoot the 240 and perhaps the 300 XTPs also well.  As soon as I get some more I will give them a try.

RJ

Second thoughts:  I am very encouraged by this barrel.  It seems to group nearly everything I have so far shot through it.  As I said above I am very pleased with it being able to shoot the Laser Cast bullets as well as it does.  This is what I have been looking for in a .44.  I wanted a gun that would shoot low power bullets accurately.  It seems that this barrel will do that with either the cast bullets or the bulk Mag tec bullets.  At least it will shoot the Mag Tec bullets at a low speed as with the Red dot.  As to why I got the flyers with this bullet with the H110 load, I don’t know.  Maybe I pulled off or lost concentration or maybe the barrel just doesn’t like this bullet when it is driven hard.  I have several other powders I would like to try with this bullet.  I probably won’t use this barrel for deer as I have several other .44s that I am confident in using full power loads in.  I do believe if I wanted to take the time and trouble I would be able to develop hunting load with the Hornady XTPs in either 240GR or 300GR.  All in all I can recommend this barrel to those of you who have been wanting a .44 barrel but like me were ‘bitten’ by the old one.  While this barrel may or may not develop into a tack driver I do believe that with the right ammo and normal size bullets it will be more than adequate for deer hunting within 100 yards or so.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Promised .44 mag report
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 04:40:34 AM »
Thanks for the detailed update, I'm sure that if anyone was on the fence about buying a 44mag barrel, your report will give em the push they needed to get one!! ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 03:33:58 PM »
I went out today also. I put on a Simmons Pro Diamond 4x32. Started at 25 worked back to 45. I do not reload yet. I was shooting Winchester 240gr jacketed soft points. I will try loading up my target, It tells the story.Its not great but for me leaning against the truck, its not to bad. I think when I go back out, I will take the table and bags. Should shoot better. But hey the sun was shining and I got to shoot, I call that a good day.

Offline Slufoot

• Trade Count: (21)
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 04:10:44 PM »
But hey the sun was shining and I got to shoot, I call that a good day.

Very well said, I couldn't agree more!

GOOD SHOOTING!
Slufoot

Offline junkgun

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 12:28:21 PM »
I just got a 44 mag handi last week as a replacement for a bad 500 s&w.  I love this gun. with winchester usa 240 gr factory bullets this thing shoots through the same hole at 75 yds.  I am shooting small water bottles at 130 yds with great consistency.  I am very pleased with this gun,s performance.  I never would have expected this kind of performance from one of these guns!

Offline Slufoot

• Trade Count: (21)
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2008, 01:38:23 PM »
I just got a 44 mag handi last week as a replacement for a bad 500 s&w. 

Hey Junkgun, What was wrong with your 500 s&w barrel?
Thanks!
Slufoot

Offline junkgun

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2008, 08:02:38 AM »
It kept coming open no matter what i did.  Also the trigger had a large burr on it that cut me wide open  The factory had it twice then suggested i get a different barrel.  So I guess they must not be strangers to this problem.  Much happier with the 44 mag!  My friend got a 500 the same time I did and his comes open as well.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2008, 08:17:02 AM »
Must have been a bad batch of barrels, or the smiths that fitted them were having a bad day!! Mine's never popped open even with max loads with 350gr, 440gr and 700gr bullets, many here are very happy with the 500S&W Handis, others haven't been due to poor accuracy, but IMO that's likely due to the heavy recoil that many shooters just can't handle and it affects accuracy, unfortunately. ;)

Tim

Offline junkgun

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2008, 01:33:00 PM »
I don't know what causes it but I was using hornady "custom" 350 gr.  The recoil was not causing any accuracy problems.  The two shots I got in before the gun came open were in a pretty tight group.  I guess just the shock value of having your gun come open repeatedly and seeing blood all over your hands might even rattle a veteran shooter such as yourself!  The recoil of this gun is stout but no worse than my 300 win mag.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2008, 02:11:06 PM »
Your cut finger is a new one, no one has ever reported that before, pop opens are usually caused by shooter error from not cleaning oil from the latch and latch shelf, or on a new gun, not closing it firmly as stated in the owner's manual.

But glad ya got the 44mag shooting good, they have a long history of poor accuracy up until Marlin started making the barrels early last year, many here have sworn off them due to that, but slowly it's gaining a good reputation as a great shooter as more of the new barrels have been bought, just bought one myself not long ago to get closer to having a rifle of every chambering H&R ever made, not many left to achieve that goal. ;)

Tim

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2008, 03:01:02 PM »
But glad ya got the 44mag shooting good, they have a long history of poor accuracy up until Marlin started making the barrels early last year, many here have sworn off them due to that, but slowly it's gaining a good reputation as a great shooter as more of the new barrels have been bought
Tim

I was surprised to hear how accurate some of these .44s were using jacketed ammo until you mentioned that Marlin is now making them. Have you slugged yours to see the bore diameter? Are all of the barrels now being made by Marlin.
Don

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2008, 03:48:27 PM »
Yes, slugged it the day I got it.  ;)

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,130530.msg1098482018.html#msg1098482018

Most, but not all barrels are now made by Marlin, some are made by someone else, whom and which I dunno, I could find out if needed if you have a specific barrel in mind.

Tim

Offline Ranger J

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2008, 10:40:20 AM »
While I have not slugged the barrel it continues to shoot well.  As I was just going by the road to the range on another job last week., just in case I had a little extra time I threw the gun in the old bus.  I had loaded up sever more loads for the .44 but did not pay attention when grabbing green plastic boxs and instead of them I got a full box of 180gr Hornady STP H110 loads.  I only shot five of them and they all touched at 50 yards.  I had about a dozen 'non-disrupt 44s rolling around in the bottom of my shooting box and I shot them up.  I couldn't tell much as I really didn't know what was under the bullets.  I switched to the .357 barrel and learned that it did not like 38 loads at all.  At least it didn't like the ones I had.  The wind was huffing and puffing from right to left and I was not satisfied with the .357 cast loads I had either.  W the wind was down they shot well but not when it was blowing.  I hope to try again when there is no wind.  Even with these frustrations I enjoy these barrels.

RJ

Offline junkgun

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2008, 01:30:09 AM »
I looked online and tried your suggestions for a gun that comes open.  Nothing worked, as I stated I had it in the factory twice and they told me just to get a different gun.  Anyway Im sure I'll be happier with the 44.  I live in Indiana and wanted to try to take advantage of the new rifle rules.  I thought I would get biggest gun avail (500), but im sure the 44 mag will be plenty effective for deer and maybe some day my little boy can use it as I doubt many children would want to shoot the 500 S&W!  Thanks for your input

Offline Ranger J

• A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2008, 04:10:00 AM »
I lived and hunted in Illinois for much of my early life and we also had the shotgun rule.  I would have much preferred a 44 carbine to the Rem slug gun I used there even though it was not a bad gun.  I have killed a couple of deer with a .44 Deerfield while in MO and have taken three with other caliber Handi rifles.  I really like the idea of the single shot gun.  If you reload try some Hornady XTPs in 240 gr over a load of H110.  The Hornady bullets seem to give me the best results accuracy wise

RJ

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2008, 03:10:56 PM »
For years I've turned my back on the Handi in .44 mag. due to it's bad reputation. I think Marlin's influence and you guys have changed my mind on that point and also changed my mind about getting a .357. I think I'd like to give the 320gr. WLNGC Cast Performance bullets a try from a Handi in .44 mag. With a 4X Nikon Buckmaster scope, I think it would be a great deer rifle.
Don

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2008, 05:02:57 PM »
Here ya go Don, it's from a 16" barrel, a 22" barrel should work real well!!!  ;D

Tim

http://www.loadswap.com/comments.php?table=Rifle_Data&id=1630

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2008, 01:38:15 PM »
Tim,
That is the exact load I had used in an Marlin 1894P that I used to own. At 80 yards it produced the most dramatic kill on a buck that I've ever witnessed. The barrel on that rifle was also 16", so your right, it should really be something from a 22" barrel.
Don

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2008, 02:44:38 PM »
I shoulda known you already used it, you don't go by Jaybird there, do ya! ;D

Tim