Author Topic: How did I do? 45-70 Bolt gun  (Read 5044 times)

Offline Mike Britton

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: How did I do? 45-70 Bolt gun
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2008, 01:35:51 PM »
Or you can get one of the Gibbs 45-70 conversions made from No4 MI Enfields................
I bought one of these Gibbs "Summit" rifles. It looks just like a sporter # 4 except the barrel  is really fat.
I mounted a Williams reciever sight on it and although I've not been out farther than 50 yds. three touching at 50 is OK with me. The thing weighs a ton! I'ts all barrel.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"   George Orwell
Life member NRA, Life member TSRA
Crabby conservative old fart

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2008, 12:41:20 AM »
Mike:  I have a nicely sporterized No4Mk1 that is about the same size as the Gibbs 45-70 conversion and it also weighs about a ton.  I don't think it is all barrel as the actions are pretty solid.  But, a 3 shot one hole group is pretty good.  Mikey.

Offline Mike Britton

• Contributor
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2008, 03:50:34 AM »
Mike:  I have a nicely sporterized No4Mk1 that is about the same size as the Gibbs 45-70 conversion and it also weighs about a ton.  I don't think it is all barrel as the actions are pretty solid.  But, a 3 shot one hole group is pretty good.  Mikey.
Yeah, when I bought it, I bought it for the novelty, and to add to my .45/70 collection.
It has a Navy Arms barrel in it and I thought " Gibbs probably bought all the old barrels Navy had and put these together on Indian actions with SILE wood."
I really didn't expect much out of it for accuracy, but I went to the range with some Winchester 300 gr. and it put out three touching at 50 yds. Out of a brand new barrel! I haven't shot it enough to even break in the barrel, but I noticed that when I went to clean it, it didn't take many patches before I was finished. I wonder if they polished those bores?
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"   George Orwell

Offline Mike Britton

• Contributor
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2008, 04:37:52 AM »
Mikey, Do you think a good #4 action will take the pressuure of my '95 Marlin? I have some loads for my Marlin that are pretty stiff that I'd like to try in my Gibbs rifle.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2008, 02:38:08 PM »
Mike - be careful with hot loads for the 45-70 in the Gibbs rifles and if you have any questions about which power level loads to use call/e-mail Gibbs for clarification.

I know of three power level loads for the 45-70:  the original Springield loading, the Loading for the Marlin lever actions, and the loading for the single shots and bolt rifles but I don't believe the Gibbs conversion on the Enfield action is one of 'those conversions'. 

I know the Enfield in 308 is supposed to be a stronger action that may handle 308 pressure levels and I believe the Marlin lever loads in 45-70 are near that pressure level but unless someone counters this with fact I am not so sure the Gibbs rifle should be used with 45-70 loads at that pressure level. 

I think I saw/read somewhere that the Gibbs rifles were good to go with the original level loads for the Springfield 45-70s but to avoid hotter loadings.  Even so, the original loads are nothing to sneer at.  Mikey.

Offline Mike Britton

• Contributor
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2008, 03:53:09 AM »
Mikey, I doubt that Gibbs is even still in business. I'll do research at get back to you.
About Springfield loads, I used to make 70gr. black powder loads for my Springfield and the first time you touch one off you have a new respect for the ole trapdoor!
I love the .45/70. I have loads with 3031 that come out smokin' and loads with reloader 7 that just make it out the end of the barrel.

Offline Hank08

• Trade Count: (35)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2008, 08:52:07 AM »
I know this is an old thread and by now you've either loved it or dumped it but they can be made into decent looking guns and many parts are interchangable with the Mauser 98.  This is a M98 stock.  It feeds perfect and is as accurate as any 45/70 I've ever seen.  It's as strong as any 45/70 including the Ruger #1.

Offline Mike Britton

• Contributor
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2008, 03:04:20 PM »
Is that a Siamese Mauser? I hear you'll give up because of recoil before you blow one up!

Offline Hank08

• Trade Count: (35)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2008, 06:22:44 AM »
Yep, that's Siamese, not japanese as someone stated.  I bought this one a few yrs. ago for $100.  It's also drilled and tapped for a scope and a mid sight.  They use the
same Weaver scope bases as the regular m98 (45 rear and 46 front) but to me a 45/70 is just an iron sight type of gun.  My favorite load is 25 grs. 2400 and a 420 gr. plain base cast bullet at 1400fps.  That's a good load for any 45/70  including the trapdoor.  Your right, like the #3 it can be loaded up to where it's not fun to shoot.
H08

Offline Redtail1949

« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2009, 09:52:51 AM »
I have a friend that bought a Siamese Mauser took it the local gunsmith school had it totally reworked and put a heavy target bull barrel on it. I forgot the total weight but very very heavy. We took it out and put her through her paces with a full range of bullets and powders. Their were three of us taking turns fireing groups. We are all used to shooting rifles up to .338 WM and .375 H&H on a regular basis. Let me tell you that rifle was unmercifull in the heavy loads, none of us would really want to shoot it again.

However, the rifle shot very well, kicked the holy s*** of you, and functioned flawlessly. We were just up to 458 performance with out signs of pressure. Wer had to stop because we were bruised so badly.

All in all it was an interesting project for him..but why did he not just build a 458. He is a gun nut in the worst way and spends great piles of money building and converting rifles just for the heck of it. Most of the time he was trying to up the caliber he had to the next step up. To me its a waste if you want that kind of performance buy it factory made and tinker with your loads.

Of course that is what makes the gun nuts and reloaders tick..the experiment.. the making of what they want out of something else..can not argue with that.

Oh....No you do not have to worry about the strength of the Siamese Mauser it is strong..very strong.