Author Topic: Ejector vs Extractor  (Read 1285 times)

Offline tstetz

• Trade Count: (3)
Ejector vs Extractor
« on: March 15, 2008, 07:57:10 AM »
Question guys:

I've had a number of H&R shotguns over the years and they've all had ejectors on them. I recently got a Handi-Rifle with a .357 barrel fitted and it just seems to have an extractor not an ejector on it. Is that the norm for these barrels? I sorta prefer an ejector although I can deal with either one.
There are some who call me... Tim

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Ejector vs Extractor
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 08:05:24 AM »
Welcome aboard Tim!! ;) That's the way they've been making them for several years now, first extractors were made in 2004,  only the shotguns and rimfires still have ejectors, for now anyway. Spend some time in the FAQs and Help sticky, you'll learn a lot including ways of converting extractors to ejector if you're the DIY type, otherwise, learn to use em, there's no factory option. :o

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline tstetz

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 09:45:55 AM »
Thanks for the welcome and the info!

It's okay how it is but I really was used to how my shotguns kicked the shells out. I'll definitely check out the FAQ's. While I'm not terribly handy I have a father-in-law who's a tool and die maker.  ;D

Offline tstetz

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 11:08:55 AM »
Any idea what the logic is to them switching over to extractors?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2008, 11:30:11 AM »
Use the search function, there are hundreds of threads on the topic, but the main reason is:

1. Lots of complaints about failure to eject, probably the biggest issue and the easiest to fix.

2. Liability issues with ejected hot brass, possibly in conjuction with pop opens.

Niether is an issue with  mechanical extractors and they're less expensive to produce.

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php?action=search

Offline tstetz

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2008, 11:37:06 AM »
Thanks.

Shame really, that's one of the neat things about the H&R's.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2008, 11:38:38 AM »
Yes it was, it's too bad they don't offer it either way or a simple conversion kit to go either way, then everyone could be happy.  ;)

Tim

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2008, 12:28:15 PM »
I have converted most of my ejectors over to temp extractors just so i don't have to chase brass when shooting off the bench , just wish there was an easy way to switch the other way around .  ???

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline NAM70

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2008, 01:30:36 PM »
Any idea what the logic is to them switching over to extractors?
I reload and wouldn't want an ejector unless it was on a rimfire. Along with everything else the price of brass keeps going up and I don't want to have to dig through weeds to find the empties. Gotta save money where you can.
Dave

Offline tstetz

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2008, 01:52:48 PM »
Yeah, I can definitely understand that. I do still kinda like 'em though.

Offline ib_crawlin

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2008, 02:46:56 PM »
I agree with Stimpy.
I'm a handloader and don't like chasing down brass either. Yesterday I was shooting my 44mag (ejector), 500 S&W (extracter),  and 38 S&W versa-pack stub-job, (pick 'em out with your fingers) handi-rifles one after another. I had to pay attention on which rifle I was breaking open or risk getting beaned in the forehead with a spent 44 mag case!
A selectable extraction system would be ideal. (I know, dream on, never gonna happen).

Ron

Offline jdwolf

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2008, 03:36:07 PM »
I have an H&R .223 Handi made in 2007, it has an EXTRACTOR.  A friend of mine has an NEF .223 Handi made in 1994 that has an EJECTOR.  I've never had a problem with failures to extract but my friend has had problems with failures to eject.   
Help support concealed carry in Illinois,  show your support.  http://www.cafepress.com/sicc

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2008, 11:30:27 PM »
There was not a clean break when H&R changed to extractors. They used up existing parts and then there is ones that were setting on the shelf. I got a 22 Hornet SL barrel this year (2008) that had an ejector on it. Over all I like the extractor, but the ejector is nice when you have gloves on; in hunting situations, where you are not worried about saving brass; want a faster follow up shot or a quick one for a finish shot. Too bad there is not a switch you can shift to make it either way, like some shotguns. ;D
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline Ranger J

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2008, 05:02:41 AM »
I had a 223 with an ejector which at times would not work.  I tried polishing the chamber, making sure reloads were clean etc and still would get an occasional stuck piece of brass.  I carried a 3 piece cleaning rod just for those occasions.  On the other hand I have never had my 45/70 fail to eject and this is an real advantage on a hunting gun where you might be fumbling for a second shot.  At the range it is just a pain...My two new barrels .357 and .44 mag are extractors and I don't mind removing the cases with my fingers and not having to play catch with them.  Yes it would be great to be able to order them either way but still no big problem.

RJ

Offline Stan in SC

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2008, 05:36:30 AM »
The last new Handi I purchased was a 45-70 last Febraury.It was a 2007 maunfacture and had the extractor.I like it.The action opening and closing is quite smooth as compared with the ejector model.I don't find the removal of the empty by hand any bit of a bother.In fact being a reloader I like it better at the range.I also have had NO failure of the empty shell to clear the barrel(sticking).

Stan
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70..it's almost a religion.

Offline BAGTIC

• A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2008, 07:54:34 PM »
I prefer the ejectors because they give me the choice. Never had any problems chasing empties as it is very easy to cover the breech with the hand when opening it. Also never had a problem getting bonked in the noggin by flying brass, I just turn the gun a little to one side if I am in a hurry and want the empties out fast.

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2008, 12:10:17 AM »
My 06 and .45-70 have ejectors, and I'm going to convert them for all the above mentioned reasons.  I might mention I have no problem with the extractor and wearing gloves.
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline ib_crawlin

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2008, 02:54:13 PM »
"I prefer the ejectors because they give me the choice. Never had any problems chasing empties as it is very easy to cover the breech with the hand when opening it. Also never had a problem getting bonked in the noggin by flying brass, I just turn the gun a little to one side if I am in a hurry and want the empties out fast."

Ejectors are'nt so handy when the case/shell stick in the chamber. I use a NEF 10 gauge (ejector) for goose & duck hunting here in Montana and I have missed out on that second shot many times due to a stuck empty in the chamber. Yes I honed and polished the chamber but still had the occassional sticky shell ruin the moment. I took to carrying a .690 lead round ball in my pocket for such situations. (Drop the ball down the tube and the shell ejects every time, at least for me it does.)

Same situation with my ejector equipped NS serialed 44 mag handi. If I do my part It's minute of tin can or prairy dog out to 100 yards or so with home cast gas checked bullets. (Ideal mold 429-244. drops WW bullets out at .432-434 diameter, 10 grains of Unique for fuel). Same deal, a polished clean chamber does not guarantee that the spent case is going to eject....Got to have a cleaning rod or screwdriver handy to keep it running.

My extractor equipped 500 S&W handi has not, so far, failed to extract each and every time, even with my hottest handloads. No need to polish the chamber on this one yet, cross my fingers.

Anyway, not complaining, just explaining. I love my handi rifles (ecpecialy the 44 mag) and they are what they are.  ;D

Ron