Author Topic: Standard Choke  (Read 561 times)

Offline Specklebelly

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
Standard Choke
« on: March 16, 2008, 07:11:28 AM »
What is the standard screw in choke that comes with a NEF?  I took mine out yesterday while cleaning and it does not have any markings on it.

I thought that was kind of strange but I was going to use if for turkey this year and needed to know.

Thx
Specklebelly

Romans 5:8
Mark 12:28-31

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Re: Standard Choke
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 08:03:38 AM »
The writing is usually very faint and appears on the portion of the choke body between the threads and the end of the choke that is even with the muzzle. These questions will help if there are no markings on it...Which barrel is it?, how long is the barrel?, what gauge is the barrel?, what is the diameter of the end of the choke tube in thousandths...Thanks. I, and others I am sure, will try to help. You could, and should, shoot the barrel before you hunt with it anyway, that may answer all your questions even better than what is marked on the choke tube. In reality how it shoots is more important than what is written on it....<><.... ;D
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 10:59:05 AM »
What is the standard screw in choke that comes with a NEF?  I took mine out yesterday while cleaning and it does not have any markings on it.

I thought that was kind of strange but I was going to use if for turkey this year and needed to know.

Thx

If you are talking about the thread pattern? That would be a Win-Choke. If you are talking about the constriction? Probably a mod, but check the model # in the catalog, it should tell you what it is.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline Specklebelly

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 04:38:08 PM »
The writing is usually very faint and appears on the portion of the choke body between the threads and the end of the choke that is even with the muzzle. These questions will help if there are no markings on it...Which barrel is it?, how long is the barrel?, what gauge is the barrel?, what is the diameter of the end of the choke tube in thousandths...Thanks. I, and others I am sure, will try to help. You could, and should, shoot the barrel before you hunt with it anyway, that may answer all your questions even better than what is marked on the choke tube. In reality how it shoots is more important than what is written on it....<><.... ;D

Thanks for the suggestion, I looked with a bright light and could not find any markings.  It is a 12 gauge 3 1/2 inch Topper Deluxe with a vent. rib barrel that is 27.5 inches.  It is factory as I bought the gun new.

I have no clue on the diameter as I don't have anything that measures that small.

Thx
Specklebelly

Romans 5:8
Mark 12:28-31

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 04:42:31 PM »
From what I have seen of the 12 gauge TDC barrels (the ones I have seen and am referring to have been 3" chambers), they have come with modified choke tubes from the factory. That said, anything is possible........<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2008, 01:37:03 AM »
I've got a TDC barrel that I bought from MAC that has a 3 1/2" chamber. The only choke I've ever seen them include with TDC barrels is MOD. That said There are always surprises.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun