Author Topic: My CVA optima elite help please  (Read 1980 times)

Offline 99 jeep

• Trade Count: (0)
My CVA optima elite help please
« on: March 16, 2008, 11:31:19 PM »
Well boys it was a good deer season and now ive booked a moose hunt  ;D yes a moose hunt but its going to be a muzzeloader hunt ;D now i need to know what the best bullet and maximum grain or powder would be shockeys or 777 ??? Right now im using 270 power belts at a range of 100 yards in tennis ball size group but id like to go further should i or  ??? Oh yeah im using 100 grains  of powder.

Offline Tunaman

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Contributor
Re: My CVA optima elite help please
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 07:46:38 AM »
I shoot 120 grains of loose 777 with a 295 PB with very good accuracy. I also use the 777 primers. I am very happy with this load but frankly, i have found several accurate loads with my OE. She shoots saboted shock waves with 100 gr of 777 as well.
good luck
Tuna

Offline deer_predator

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 03:46:53 PM »
For deer here in Illinois I use 100 grains of 777 combined with 300 grain Barnes Expanders. This year I took two deer with that combination. One at 163 yards and the other at 186 yards. The Barnes are a little hard to load (you almost have to run a spit patch between shots); however, I am willing to trade off long range accuracy for a hard to load sabot. I sight in at 3" high at 100 yards and have about 7-8" drop at 200.

Offline Buckskins & Black Powder

• Trade Count: (16)
    • Buckskins & Black Powder
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 08:08:23 PM »
120 grains triple 7 is an extremely hot load. To hot for the 295 grain powerbelt! 120 grains triple 7 is equivalent  to 150 grains Pyrodex/Black Powder.

Im doing my best to help the powerbelt users from making this common mistake.
 Please read up on the Powerbelt/Powder charge issue.

http://www.gbofreeforums.info/ThePowerbeltForum/viewtopic.php?t=4

Powerbelt Bullet tests,
http://www.gbofreeforums.info/ThePowerbeltForum/viewforum.php?f=11

Please read up and consider my recommended charges so you'll have a wonderful hunting experience with Powerbelts.

Also, Try different powder guys. I tried triple 7 but after having the bottle opened, the powder changed drastically and i ended up buying some Pyrodex RS and had to resight in with that. Pyrodex Select seems to offer me better groups too.

Offline 30-06man

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 04:53:22 PM »
I would look into a better sabot if possible. Your load isn't hot if you do go with anything else like the Hornaday sabot, or T/c shockwaves. You can use 120grains of LOOSE T7 with these with no problems but as Bigblock said do not go over this as you are going over the magnum charge. You can use 3 50grain pellets or T7 which is the magnum charge but the loose power is totally diffrent. Each gun is diffrent so get out and test diffrent combos of power and bullet.
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline Keith Lewis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 07:33:16 PM »
If you read the owners manual you will find that any loose powder over 100gr. is considered above the recomended level. 150gr. loads are only on pelletized powder. 120gr. loose T7 is well above the maximum load for this rifle.  I know the rifle probably can handle this load but it is not recommended and you are taking a chance doing it.