Author Topic: Kel--Tec PF9 Pro's & Con's  (Read 12874 times)

Offline nodlenor

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
Kel--Tec PF9 Pro's & Con's
« on: March 17, 2008, 12:34:38 PM »
Anyone own a Kel-Tec PF9? What do you like or dislike about it? I'm looking at it for concealed carry.
Self government without self discipline will not work; Paul Harvey

Offline Savage

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Kel--Tec PF9 Pro's & Con's
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 01:11:28 PM »
Had a PF9 for a year or so. Haven't shot thousands of rds thru it like everyone else seems to. I have put maybe 300rds thru mine. No problems and accurate enough. Don't have anything bad to say about it. I think it's a great choice for the money.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline XD9

• Contributor
  • Match Grade Makes A Difference!
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 02:00:13 AM »
Just bought mine last week so I can't give any great advice one way or the other but, so far, after a few firing rounds, I'm very happy with it.  It's extremely easy to conceal, even with a t-shirt.  I have to get used to the trigger but I'm sure I can adjust after a few more times at the range.  Seems to be pretty accurate and I'm sure it will be more so when I adjust to the trigger.  This is my first Kel-Tec but I know a lot of people who really love them and depend on them.
I'm an accountant and I carry a gun...'nuff said

Offline nodlenor

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 02:22:27 PM »
Checked one out at a local dealer today. It was priced at $245. Is this a fair price?

Offline Savage

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 03:25:53 PM »
$245 is about the going price around here, other than gun shows where they go a little higher.
Savage

Offline nodlenor

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 03:04:54 AM »
Thanks, Savage, I thought it sounded ok. I'm thinking of making an investment. I don't have a 9mm but I do have a 38 special. How do they compare to each other?

Offline canon6

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (119)
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 06:38:01 AM »
That is a fair price , I have had one for over a year, @300 rnds down range, not a single problem     hth   Doug
a armed man is his own master

Offline unspellable

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008, 07:47:53 AM »
Between the light weight and the very squarish grip I find the recoil unpleasant.  How ever this is probably not a big issue in a pistol intended for deep concealment rather than target shooting.

Offline nodlenor

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2008, 03:09:39 PM »
I bought it! I think I'm going to like it but the trigger is definitely different. It is going to take some getting used to. The recoil is a tad unpleasant but I don't intend to shoot it a lot. I think if the grip was wrapped with some soft rubber or something like that it would help. I don't know if there is anything that can be done about the trigger.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2008, 04:50:25 PM »
Congrats, check out these links, if you have questions, I'm sure someone else has asked it too, the KTOG forum is loaded with info, it's a Kel-tec GBO!!! ;D

Tim

http://ktog.org/

http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Savage

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2008, 01:45:04 AM »
nodlenor,
Great little carry pistol, you'll learn to love carrying it! Be sure to read the owner's manual, especially the part where it tells you not to dry fire the pistol! The recoil is the result of all the things that make the pistol such a great carry gun. No big deal! Congrats!!
Savage

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2008, 10:52:03 AM »
This is a tempting thought, as smaller and lighter has always been desirable.  But a little research on Kel-tec's web site is interesting.  The P11 while holding 11 rounds is only 5 oz heavier (rounded off).  And it is actually slightly shorter also while both are the same height.  I guess I will have to handle both side by side before choosing.  The fact that the PF9 is 1/8" thinner may or may not make a difference to the feel and carry of it.  I do know that I would not step down to .380 power reguardless of size.  You have to draw a line somewhere on what cartridge you would stake your life on.  I know that kel-tec products have always had a good reputation for reliability with acceptable accuracy.  I had a Kahr PM9 for a bit and while that was very accurate, it still felt heavier and blockier than ncessary.  Ah, such things are the stuff of controversy!  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline canon6

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (119)
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2008, 11:20:44 AM »
44 Man, I have both a PF9 and a P11, I like them both both, but my P11 with 12 round Mec-Gar mags gives me 13 rounds of (mm.I use a cheap uncle mike IWB  holster and find the extra 4 rounds comforting.   Doug
a armed man is his own master

Offline Blowtorch53

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2008, 09:13:49 AM »
Hi Nodlenor,

I have one.  Also the .380 AT.  Not target pistols.  If you want a small pistol for a big whammy at a cheap price, there is none better, period.  Accurate enough at combat range.  When you get one you need to follow the instructions in the owner's manual an shoot it a lot to break it in.  It shoots every time where you point it.  That is what you are buying.  If you have a limited budget and want a target pistol, save up your money and buy something else.  I have 100% confidence in mine and it stays with me all the time.

Regards,

DeWayne
"That God could and would if He were sought"

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2008, 05:01:36 AM »
My local dealer finally got some Kel-tec's in!  I got to handle the PF9 and a P-11.  Wow!  I was really surprised at the difference in feel for so little difference in dimentions.  The biggest thing was the triggers.  The PF9 must pre-load the hammer when it cycles like a Glock so the pull was MUCH lighter and smoother than on the P-11.  I'm sold!  Since the accident I have been unable to wear my .45 and even my trusty S&W snub is uncomfortable.  The cylinder presses on all the wrong places.  I'm hoping the flat profile of the Kel-tec will sit better for me.  Now to get some money down there before it is gone.  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline Savage

« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2008, 12:50:37 PM »
Yep, I have a couple of P-11s. The PF9 "Feels" much smaller and lighter when handled side by side with the P-11. Much more than the dimensions on paper indicate!
I haven't carried a P-11 since I got my P-32s. Still carry the P3AT much more frequently than even the PF9. The P-11 is just large enough that I would only carry it with a belt holster. So---------one of the Glocks isn't much harder to pack, especially on the belt.
Savage

Offline rugerman

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2009, 02:25:43 PM »
The only con that I had was the grip on the pf9. When I got mine the striations on the front and back were pretty sharp so I took my dremel tool with a small grinding wheel and smoothed them out a bit now they don't bother my hands (arthritis).

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2009, 03:30:43 AM »
I handled both and went with the P11.  It fit my hand better than the PF9 and I liked having more rounds on tap.  Also the P11 has 2nd strike capability somewhat like a revolver only you are getting a 2nd whack at the same round instead of a fresh one.  The PF9 does not offer that option.  The trigger on my P11 though still stiff and long has smoothed up considerably with use and really doesn't feel much different than my wife's DAO (hammerless) Undercover revolver.  I carry the P-11 inside my waste band using Kel-Tec's belt clip.  It's comfortable, conceals well and can easily forget I have it on me.  The P-11 is my primary carry piece taking over the job from my S&W M90 which get's to come out of the safe only occasionally now. 
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline vinpar092

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2009, 03:02:30 AM »
I've put around 600 rounds and around 400 dry fire's (with snap caps) and my trigger is getting alot better. Still long put very smooth. I love my pf-9. Rapid fire requires trigger control for accuracy for sure. I do not find the recoil bad at all, although I did add a hogue grip that changed my hold. I can shoot plates at 25 yards regularly, so accuracy is there with trigger control.

Vince

Offline Tonk

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2009, 07:11:40 AM »
Nodlenor.......I have had 4 Kel-Tec's and 3 of them went down the road~! The PF-9 has a better trigger pull than the P-11 by far ok. I had issues with ammo jamming and some of that problem was the feed ramps on the barrels of two of those pistols. They would NOT fire more than 2 rounds if that, if you used hollow point ammo. One of them had a problem with the clip coming lose and thus caused a bullet no-feed issue. Kel-Tec has evidently fixed this problem on a modification to newer pistols.

The one PF-9 I did keep, is very accurate as opposed to the other two PF-9's, which I must say were not that bad in accuracy, as these are not meant to be target guns by any means...up close and personal period.
I can shoot hotter self-defense rounds out of this pistol but I simply load it with full metal jacket rounds and be done with the issue of Jamming.

The newer Kel-Tec's have a more polished feed ramp and the ramp is a little narrower and a tade longer to I believe. The one I have decided to keep is used in the backyard when I am cutting grass etc. I use it strickly around the house. I much perfer the Glock for a CCW tool.......it goes BANG everytime I pull that trigger and is not finicky about what jacketed hollow points I put into the magazine.

Offline bubbinator

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2009, 07:26:46 PM »
To all the shooters with grip issues-buy a bicycle inner tube!  Cut it to size and warm it up a LITTLE (Hot water or microwave) and pull it over the grip.  It will take away the sharp edges but still show the checkering pattern, enhance control and add a concealment option!  With a snug belt it will not slip out of your waist line and is damned near impossible to see like that under a shirt.  I've done that on Glock 21s, 22s,and  Browning HPs for years.  One $4.00 tube goes a long way so share with friends.  DON'T do it on 1911s or anything with a grip safety (I just had to say that or some one would try it)

Offline Tonk

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2009, 04:24:36 AM »
Bubbinator, that inner tube idea is a big plus! Now anyone wanting to know about the accuracy of those Kel-Tec pistols I owned, I will say that at 15 feet in distance from the target using Blazer FMJ ammo in those guns, they all stayed withing the 6 inch inner circle of a 9 inch pie plate.

The Kel-Tec PF-9 that I did keep (factory polished ramp) feeds ammo much better and the accuracy is around the 4 inch group at 21 feet with various hollow point and FMJ ammo. One must make sure, that when shooting the pistol, to make positively sure you let that trigger return all the way or these little pistols will JAM on you. You will also have to figure out which ammo the pistol likes the best, this is time consuming but a must do if you plan on carrying this pistol. I simply load Blazer Full Metal Jacketed bullets in the little pistol and I am good to go, it sure lessens the Jamming sessions.

Offline jeep08ham

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2009, 11:09:06 AM »
I have had a PF9 for about a year.  Put about 1,000 rounds down the tube.  I did a complete fluff and buff before ever shooting mine.   It is flawless and never had a single issue with mine as far as shooting and cycling.  Plenty accurate for me.  Was able to Qualify with a score of 100 at the range too.  My old complaint is the finish is extremely thin and they will rust very quick when carried in IWB holsters if you do not remove it each day and wipe it down with a oiled cloth.  I posted earlier requesting if anyone has applied Duracoat or Guncote to a PF.  Still waiting on answers on that question.   I think it will help with the external rust that I have encountered.

The bicycle intertube does work as that is what I have on mine.  Again for a defensive gun, it is the most concealable gun I have ever found.

Offline Savage

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2009, 02:10:52 PM »
My old complaint is the finish is extremely thin and they will rust very quick when carried in IWB holsters if you do not remove it each day and wipe it down with a oiled cloth.

Jeep,
Wipe off the oil on the slide with alcohol and apply a good coating of car wax to all the accessible metal surfaces. Rust? I don't get no steenkin rust!
Savage

Offline vdubluv

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2009, 05:17:06 AM »
I had a PF9 when they first came out. Functioned flawless but slammed that narrow grip into my hand, recoil felt unconforatble. Got a P11 Chrome slide that I've sweat on,carried always, shot lead reloads, hollow points, +p+ and never had a jam. Shot a few 3-4 inch 25 yard groups with Wolf ball. This gun still looks new,haven't cleaned it in over a year. I did the hammer spring paper clip  trigger job, ground the legs off the mag follower(for+1=11) and polished the internals. I'm used to the LONG trigger. I won't part with it and won't own another Pf9. If only Keltec would make a P45 or PF45.  :P
Ready to fight for Freedom!

Offline Hillbilly Jim

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2010, 09:46:56 AM »
I too  enjoy KelTec's.  The PF9 in my most commonly carried pistol. 
 I like the P-9's trigger much more than the P-11.  I base my judgement on the trigger on how fast I can shoot  double or triple taps into a 6 inch plate at 7 yards.  I find the P-11's long trigger pull not good for fast accurate shooting. 
As to the bycycle tube over the grip, great idea!  You may want to also try adding a strip from a mouse pad to the back of the frame before covering the tube.  Adds a layer of cushion and I like the silghtly longer grip.

Offline M1Carbine

« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2010, 05:26:56 PM »
While I don't have a PF9, I do use a Hogue Handall on my P11. It helps a lot with the recoil. I like the idea of the strip of mouse pad. Every little bit helps when you are recoil sensitive, as I am.

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2010, 01:49:13 PM »
You guys choose to carry a light weight tupper ware pistol instead of a .45acp 1911? Yup me to! My first was a .40. The trigger was horrible, but the gun was reliable. I sold that and now have a P-32 and a PF-9. The triggers are much improved and the reliability is still just as good. The PF-9 is my everyday carry gun.
Don

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2010, 05:57:05 AM »
I haven’t gotten totally use to the trigger on my PF-9  but it seems to be getting better (or maybe I’m just getting use to it.)  I not sure who has the worst trigger a Browning 9mm Hi-Power or the Kel-Tec.  You can do a little work on the Browning but I haven’t found a fix for the Kel-Tec yet.  If you can live with the trigger it should make a satisfactory carry gun.

Offline gtv

« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2010, 07:30:11 PM »
I have had my PF9 for about a year now, and love it.  I did take some sandpaper to the rough edges on the grip when I first bought it, and that helped a lot in the comfort department.  I have been looking for the Pachmayr #4 grip, but none of my LGS's carry that size for some reason.  When I carry it, I usually use a Blackhawk! nylon IWB, and I forget I even have it on me.  I also like it because it will fit in the pocket of my overalls when I am out on the farm working.  I put a hundred rounds of WWB through it yesterday at the range, and while it is a bit snappy, I no longer find it unpleasant to shoot.  I have had one FTE in nearly a thousand rounds, and I am convinced it was ammo related (same day I had two FTE using the same ammo in my Ruger P95, which never happens).  I highly recommend the KT!