Author Topic: Winchester 94 Sioux Edition Commemorative  (Read 1878 times)

Offline Wiking

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Winchester 94 Sioux Edition Commemorative
« on: March 19, 2008, 10:53:51 AM »
Got my eyes set on a Sioux Edition, new, only fired a few rounds.

I intend to shoot it quite a bit, I just love pullin' that lever! I don't know if it's gold coated or if it's just polished brass. Whichever it is, my question is will the finish "wear off" with time? Will it tarnish or become dull when used a lot?

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Winchester 94 Sioux Edition Commemorative
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 11:03:20 AM »
ALL applied finishes wear off with time and use just the way of life. I'm not familar with that particular gun but doubt it's real gold which would likely be more fragile not less so than brass plating. Both do tend to fade and age but if you keep it properly cleaned and protected it should wear well and not fade too badly. I'd think a coat of wax would help as much as anything to preserve it.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Rangr44

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 09:04:34 PM »
IIRC, the lever plating is a colored version of the black chrome plating Winchester used on the receivers of some of their commemorative rifles in the 1970's.
There's a Place for All God's Creatures - Right Next to the Potatoes & Gravy ! !

Offline Wiking

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 07:05:17 AM »
Okay thanks, I'll keep that in mind!

How about the accuracy? I've been told that the model 94 is not the most accurate rifle. I plan on hunting with it. And no, I refuse to scope it, so I'll be using the iron sights. I'm a pretty decent shot, would it be irresponsible to shoot wild game at, say 50-90 yards with iron sights and home made ammo??

Offline Rangr44

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 07:26:33 AM »
That depend upon your eyes/aim, and the quality of the reloads - but would certainly be surer, with a peep sight mounted in the receiver's side filer screw holes.
There's a Place for All God's Creatures - Right Next to the Potatoes & Gravy ! !

Offline Wiking

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 07:33:04 AM »
What is a "peep sight mounted in the reciever's side filer screw holes"??

Is it one of those ladder-sights?