Author Topic: Cheap autoloader for new shooter.  (Read 1069 times)

Offline DavOh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Cheap autoloader for new shooter.
« on: March 20, 2008, 01:48:41 PM »
Been shooting rifles all my life.   I'm kind of new to pistol shooting.  Wanting to purchase my first pistol.  On a pretty tight budget these days.    Really looking for a decent plinker for not much $$$.

What to look for?  What to look out for? 

Thinking about:

Taurus beretta clone
Taurus glock clone
S&W Sigma
Kel-tec
Walther

open to suggestions....
-Davoh

Offline superdown

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Cheap autoloader for new shooter.
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 05:51:34 PM »
the sigma seems to have been getting decent reviews as of late and there is a pretty decent rebate on them . but after owning a Taurus Beretta clone i would not buy a darn thing with the Taurus name on it ! I don't have clue about kel-tec's Walther i believe is made by smith at least the ones in this country. superdown

Offline Savage

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 01:07:38 AM »
From the list you provided, a first center fire pistol that won't break the bank, looks to me the best choice might be the Sigma. Never owned a Sigma, but have shot a few. They seemed like usable pistols. I have a Taurus 1911 and an old mdl 94 .22 revolver that have been ok to good, with the PT1911 being near the top. But no experience with the others on the list. It's been all "Internet Gospel" but have heard of lots of problems with the other Taurus offerings lately. I think you can get into a Sigma for under $300 w/three mags after rebate.  I'd stay with the 9mm for sure! Good luck!
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 03:32:08 AM »
If you're looking for a cheap plinker then my answer would be NONE OF THE ABOVE. The proper plinker is a .22LR not a centerfire as ammo is cheap and a plinker is for expending LOTS of ammo. I'd get either a Browning Buck Mark or the Ruger as your preference dictates.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 06:15:29 AM »
ABSOLUTELY, your first pistol should be a .22, learn to shoot a handgun before you scale up to a powerful handgun. You could learn with a 9mm or .40 caliber, probably most cops do, but you'll learn better with the .22 which doesn't have the recoil to mask mistakes in trigger control and you can afford to shoot a lot more and shoot in places where a 9mm would not be welcome. I would second the nominations of Browning and Ruger and would add the S&W 22A, all have good sights and OK triggers and general ergonomics.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline Devy55

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 06:24:15 AM »
High Standard makes some inexpensive handguns in 9mm and .40 S&W.  They're functional, but not art. 

But if you want an inexpensive handgun to shoot water jugs at the range, and not for Concealed Carry, then it's an alternative to consider.

Offline Curt Dawson

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2008, 08:33:43 AM »
Rock Island armory aka:Charles Daily,Armscor.I realize this is sacrilege but I have never found a 22 pistol that I really liked,and I have tried many brands and many action types.Which is why I hand load.

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2008, 08:49:19 AM »
I agree with GB on the .22, but if you must have a center fire take a look at the various versions of the Makarov.  I have several of them, and found all to be quality firearms.  The Makarov is also a great choice for a mid-size defensive pistol.  It is a semi-auto, small, and easy to carry, they are accurate and very dependable.

It shoots a (9x18) 9mm bullet, somewhat more powerful than the .380 cartridge, ammo is readily available, and surplus is reasonably priced.  The Makarov is a very close copy of the German PPK.  You should be able to purchase one for approximately $100-150.  I am particularly partial to the Polish P-64 model, and like the Hungarian PA-63 with the alloy frame.  The PA-63 is currently listed in the CDNN catalog at $99. if you purchase 3 or more, or for $109 if you buy one.  If you know a dealer that will take care of the transfer, you can order, pay on your credit card, and have the gun delivered to the dealer.  He may charge for the transfer, but that should not run more than $20.

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2008, 09:46:51 AM »
get a copy of shotgun news and go to your local ffl and have him order you one of the CZ 82's they are in the makarov 9x18 cal but hold 12 rounds and are one of the best shooting pistols made very rugged and reliable with a very good trigger out of the box. light years ahead of the standard makarovs or pa63's
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2008, 11:45:27 AM »
torpedoman.  I also own a CZ-82, and agree that it is a fine gun, perhaps much better than the PA-63, but with the exception of the number of rounds it holds I would not place it above the P-64.  Unless there has been a recent drop in price it would be tough to find a good one for less than $300.  The only reason I downgrade the PA-63 is the alloy frame.  I am fearful of burning too many HOT loads and damaging the frame, but if a person sticks with surplus ammo, and loads hot loads only for personal defense there should be no problem.

I will say for someone with LARGE hands the CZ is a little more comfortable to shoot.  If I don't watch carefully the hammer clips the fat part of my hand between the thumb and trigger finger.  But for concealed carry, I don't mind a few cuts on the hand if I have to use it.

Offline Ghugly

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2008, 05:10:59 AM »
I have an East German Makarov.  So far, I've not found anyone who's tried it and failed to fall in love with it.  Even first time shooters hit with it.  If you can get one at a decent price, grab it.

Offline slim rem 7

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2008, 05:17:52 AM »
  i agree with the poster advising an 22..cheap to learn with and they carry some pretty mean rds in the quick shock and velocitor..this is what i did and it worked well for me .. good luck..

Offline Robert357

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2008, 06:07:55 AM »
On a pretty tight budget these days.    Really looking for a decent plinker for not much $$$. 

If you really are on a tight budget, choose a 22LR semi-auto.  Purchase a used Ruger or a used Browning Buckmark.  The key things to look for are fully adjustable rear sights and a decent barrel length (i.e. longer than 4 inches).  While a good used 22 LR will probably set you back $200 to $250, ammo at $20/500 rounds will allow you to practice much more than ammo at $8 to $20 per 50 rounds.

Starting with a 22LR is the way to make sure you don't develop a lot of bad habits.  After you have mastered shooting a 22 LR, then move up in caliber.  Some of the best buy's in semi-auto handguns are military surplus firearms.  The reason to choose military surplus if on a budget iis that somebody's army spent a lot of money to develop a reliable firearm that could be maintained by conscripts.  Some of the best buys our there are PA-63's from Hungary, Tokarev's in 7.62 or 9mm, and a variety of CZ's.  Most of these can be had for between $150 to $250 depending upon where you purchase them. 

One of the least expensive ways of acquiring a firearm is to check out the locall FFL's in your area that will do a transfer for $25 to $50 plus actual cost.  Find one that is reputable, personally, I prefer ones that own gun shops where I can go into the store.  Do your research on the internet or Shotgun News to find who has the best deals on surplus imported firearms  Century, Sarco, etc.  Then walk into the FFL tell them what you want, show them a print out of the importers addvertisement and then ask if they can order you one of these for their advertised transfer fee plus expenses. 

If you want to be part of the "crowd" and have a little more money to burn,  I would suggest the Rock Island Armory 45ACP Standard Model 1911 A1 for between $330 to $400 depending upon where you purchase it.

Offline DavOh

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2008, 01:26:47 AM »
The reason I'm thinking 9mm is that it is relatively cheap compared to 45acp and the others(.40sw, .380, etc), fairly low recoil, but will still pack a punch should I need to use it at home.  I'll probably end up with two pistols if I'm lucky.   Need to get a .22 for teaching the wife. 

i'm fairly recoil shy... i've shot .45acp in a colt commander that a buddy of mine has... it was uncomfortable to shoot for me.   he kept a sore on his strong hand from the narrow and sharp beavertail gouging his hand on recoil... 

bottom line, I'm looking for an "all-around" gun that I can use for carry later on once i have my concealed carry license...
-Davoh