Author Topic: I need help picking out my next gun.....please help  (Read 930 times)

Offline Skeeno

• Trade Count: (0)
I need help picking out my next gun.....please help
« on: March 21, 2008, 06:37:30 PM »
Hello all,

My first post here and looking for some help.  I am in the market for another handgun.  I own several already, however I do not own anything in 9mm or 45acp.  Please don't get me wrong here, I am not looking to start a caliber war.  I am currently looking at an M&P 9mm full size and a Taurus 24/7 9mm.  I did have my mind made up to get a 1911 until I came across these 2 guns locally for sale at reasonable prices.  Should I stick with my original plan and get the 1911, or save a little money and get one of the two 9's?  I really don't know a whole lot about either of these two guns.  I only know that I have been hearing good things about the M&P's.  Our local law enforcement and I think our state troopers have all started carrying them.  The Taurus sounds like a decent gun, and is the cheapest of the 3 choices.  Anyone have any first hand experience with the 24/7? 

Any and all advice, information, and reviews will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,   Skeeno

Offline williamlayton

Re: I need help picking out my next gun.....please help
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 01:50:13 AM »
I do not care for Taurus.
I would save my money and get what I wanted.
I have found that substitutes cost more money in the long run as I will normally get what I wanted in the first place after I found the substitute didn't satisfy the need/want.
You will end up with one anyway  ;).
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 01:54:57 AM »
I've not owned one so have no real personal opinion of the M&P but believe taking all the posts I've read on the internet about them as a group I've seen more bad than good.  ::) I'd get a Glock myself. I would not personally trust my life to a Taurus after all the problems I've had with their guns.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline BlkHawk73

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 03:59:42 AM »
  I gotta agree with williamlayton.  Save and get what you initially wanted.  You'll get more enjoyment from that than settleing on something less.  I also haven't seen/heard a lot of high remarks about taurus lately.  Seems they either run well or are garbage.  Why take the chance on "cheap" when there's other makes & models with better quality for just a little more money. 
  Myself, I don't care for the looks or feel of the M&P's -  just not to my taste. Me, I'd opt for a HK snce they fit me best.  Just don't settle as you'll wish you hadn't afterwards when it's to late.
"Never Surrender, Just Carry On."  - G.S.

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008, 11:17:52 AM »
Not too many people will argue with a 1911.
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2008, 06:56:33 PM »
Not too many people will argue with a 1911.

Perhaps true but I am one of them who will. I own none and between now and whenever I die that statistic will not change.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Skeeno

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 10:39:06 AM »
Graybeard,

I am not a huge Taurus fan either, but I do have two Taurus revolvers that have been great.  Maybe I just got lucky.  You suggested a glock and I know they are supposed to be reliable, but I have never liked the looks or ergonomics of them.  They just don't feel right in my hand.  Can you safely reload for the glock with the unsupported case head on the brass????  Also,  what is it you don't like about the 1911?  I want to make sure that I am not overlooking something in my choice.  Thanks

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2008, 01:43:24 PM »
Hey GB I mostly prefer revolvers myself particularly those  with a .357 hole in the business end.  But I have a 1911 and carried one on duty alot I have alot of respect for that old warhorse, and he did mention 9mm or maybe .45cal.
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline ShootnStr8

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2008, 03:07:56 PM »
Skeeno,

I would stay away from Taurus.  Their costumer service is unbelievably poor.  They are just not backing their products. 

You may want to consider the CZ 75/85s if you are looking for something in a 9.  They are nice and nicely priced. 

A less expensive option than the 1911s for the 45 is the Springfield XD 45 --  http://www.gunsandammomag.com/ga_handguns/springfieldxd45_012307/.  Folks seems to like the CZ 97Bs too. 

Blessings!

ShootnStr8

There is a God shaped vacuum in the heart of every man which cannot be filled by any created thing, but only by God, the Creator, made known through Jesus.
--Blaise Pascal

Offline Skeeno

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2008, 09:34:32 AM »
Thanks ShootnStr8,

I will give the CZ's a look.  Does anybody have any downside to a 1911?  I also held a Browning HP over the weekend that felt good in the hand.  It was in .40 which I already have 2 other guns chambered in, but I imagine the 9 would feel the same.  Any good or bad info about the HP's? 

Thanks again

Offline canon6

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (119)
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2008, 10:49:50 AM »
I am a Browning Hipower freak, IMHO no other pistol fits MY hand as well.I also have M&P in 9mm, both are fine handguns, and either will serve you well.I tend to go to single action semiauto's(45 + years) but the DA only is easier to train on.I do not like the 1911 platform, although I carried one for years.  just my 2c    Doug
a armed man is his own master

Offline ShootnStr8

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2008, 01:39:29 PM »
Skeeno,

I'm feeling your pain.  There are MANY excellent options which I guess is why they sell big gun safes!

I've love shooting 1911's.  The ones I've shot have been accurate and fun.  You may want to post a question on the 45/1911 forum.  Mikey, the moderator, is a great guy who knows his stuff.  There are some very knowledgeable folks there.

I've not shot a Browning HP in many years but sure liked them the times I have. 

I guess I'm not much help! 

Blessings!

Shootrnst8

There is a God shaped vacuum in the heart of every man which cannot be filled by any created thing, but only by God, the Creator, made known through Jesus.
--Blaise Pascal

Offline kennisondan

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2008, 05:23:39 PM »
Love the 1911s and the browning hp is a true jewel with nothing that can be said about the gun.. the two are the original  browning designs and reign to this day as far as I am concerned.. have them both.. mostly like the 45 cal. for penetration of light barriers etc. but the 14 shots of hte 9mm is pretty cool and the gun is really accurate to my hand..
as to the Taurus.. I am going out on a limb.. ask around on a 1911 forum you will likely see what I found out to be true.. the taurus 1911 has nothing  wrong with it and nothing to go wrong with it really.. it has bells and whistles that rival a much more expensive gn and I bought two .. they shoot and handle and are as reliable as my kimber any day.. both were right out the box... best 1911 bang for buck in the world to my mind... the guns are as accurate as my kimber too...
I know others have had bad experience with the taurus brand.. but not with the 1911,,, if you happened to have a problem any smith in the world would fix it in a minit and that could happen with any gun any brand.. I would not fool with sending it back in any event in any make... I would just have the smith clean up the loading ramp if it needed it..
my two are absolutely fantastic.. I do not hesitate to put my life on the line with the taurus for self defense... ask around on some other forums that speicalize in the 1911 ... last I was there and on other forums I do beleive it was there that they were very positive about it...
dk

Offline blhof

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2008, 01:38:04 AM »
I would also stay away from the Taurus.  I've shot a few HP's and they handled and shot well.  As for the 1911; it's been proven through at least 2 wars and is still the gun of choice for many special ops.

Offline Skeeno

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2008, 10:12:29 AM »
Thanks for all of your input on this.  I have always been a big fan of Browning shotguns/rifles and own several.   That is what my dad and grandpa always had and you know how it is when you're a kid.  You want to be just like them.  It is now clear that I am just drawn to the Browning designed handguns as well.  There will soon be a 1911 and a Browning HP 9mm in my safe. ;D  Now, my next dilemma,  LOL   I have to figure out which 1911 to get!  There are so many choices available.  Oh well, there could be harder decisions in life.  Thanks again all.

Skeeno

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2008, 04:07:38 PM »
Skeeno.  It makes no difference what our preferences are, bottom line, the choice has to be yours, you are the one that has to live with it.  Sides, if you have us picking your guns, next you will want our help in selecting a wife.  Girlfriend, wife or new gun, you are the one that must live with em, so you should selected em.............and don't overlook the Sigs while looking.

Offline Two401Pm

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2008, 05:09:20 AM »
Of the 9mm I like the CZ75b the best I own star 30m,Smith&Wesson,Browning hp,CZ75b,and a Tanfoglio which is a CZ copy. Of the 45's, I like the 1911 the best I own a Sig,and several 1911's Doesn't make a whole lot of difference what make,Only a difference in fit finish and price and accuracy. I wouldn't own a Glock but that is just me. Have personally been witness to two blowup Glocks. Never saw a 1911 blow up. The Glocks that blew up were shooting lead bullets. Here again I wont knock the Glock But I personally wont ever own 1 Some people swear by them. There are a lot of after market parts or upgrades for the 1911 and clones. FWEIW.  A good entry level 1911 is made by Rock Island Armory  for around $350. new.
Patron NRA member,Hunter Safety Instructor,GOA member,Buckskinner.

Offline corbanzo

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2008, 06:51:22 AM »
If you were originally looking for a .45, but starting thinking about lower price, you might want to take a look at the ruger p345, it is a great looking and great shooting .45acp, but has a reasonable price tag on it. 

And as for the taurus, most people who I have heard from who own the 24/7 really like it.  You can do a search in the taurus forums, there are quite a few owners that give their opinions. 
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."