Author Topic: Holster for S&W 29 4"  (Read 986 times)

Offline mtn boy

• Trade Count: (0)
Holster for S&W 29 4"
« on: July 12, 2003, 09:48:32 PM »
I recently purchased a S&W Model 29 with 4" barrel. I would like your opions on a hunting holster for this gun. I am thinking about a cross draw but I am not familar with this holster.  I would appreciate your recomendations. Thank you Mtn boy

Offline Buford

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
Have a look......
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2003, 02:04:08 AM »
Have a look at Andrews (http://www.andrewsleather.com/) - I have had the same Model 29 4" for 35 years or so and have wanted one of the Andrews Carjacker Crossdraw holster since I first saw one.  Enjoy the pistol, it is a good one.

Offline les hemby

• Contributor
Holster for S&W 29 4"
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2003, 04:02:37 AM »
imho bianchi cyclone is best of best it can be worn crossdraw or regular,and none built finer

Offline southern utah

• Contributor
    • http://www.jsi-guns-hunting-firearms.com
make your own
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2003, 07:09:43 AM »
I use a high ride for my 629 mountain gun. I made it because I couldn't find what I wanted. If you want to see pics send your email adddress.

Offline Savage

Holster for S&W 29 4"
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2003, 12:28:56 PM »
For a hunting holster it's hard to beat a nylon vertical shoulder holster. It provides good protection for the weapon and packs easy on extended hunts.
Stay Safe,
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Spencer

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Holster for S&W 29 4"
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2003, 12:27:55 AM »
The Galco dual position Phoenix allows for strong side and crossdraw.  Nice holster.
A bad day of hunting is better than a good day at the golf course.

Offline mtn boy

Holster for S&W Model 29 4"
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2003, 05:09:51 PM »
Thanks for info on the holsters. Where is a good supplier for holsters? The gun shops here only carry the nylon type. Thanks Mtn boy

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Holsters
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2003, 03:43:17 AM »
mtn boy:  I've read the other posts and feel you have gotten some excellent information.  

I don't know where you hunt or what type of climate you encounter when you are out but, I've tried a bunchof holsters for a similar revolver and finally settled on a used Bianci open top belt holster worn to the strong side - just a plain jane leather job with a typical securing strap.  

If you are fortunate enough to hunt in areas where you don't have to bundle up in multiple layers of clothing and can wear whatever you buy basically outside your hunting clothing then you can/should get anything you want to that will secure the gun for you yet give you sufficient access for defense against unhappy/hungry/nasty predators.  

Where I'm from, shoulder holsters are not a good choice because you freeze sitting there with your coat unzipped so you can get to your gun.  Sometimes a strong side belt holster will hold the gun high enough to bump against a pack frame and be uncomfortable or noisy, or worse, not give you the necessary access.  A crossdraw would be alright but only if you can access it.

I found my old holster in a 'used' bin.  It fit the gun perfectly and cost me $10 (9.99 actually).  There were two of them so I had all the leather I needed for $20.  A little Neatsfoot oil took care of the scuffs and they were good as new.  Not too tight on the gun so a rapid access was possible.  I coupled those with a couple of Bianci belts with adequate numbers of cartridge loops and I'm happy with it.  They ride comfortably and are quickly accessible.  When I go to the range I shoot up everything in the belt loops and replace the ammo seasonally.  

It works for me and was priced right.  I hate to see a guy go through what I have over the years and spend a whole bunch of $ on new or trendy stuff only to finally wind up happy with something more reasonable but just as effective.  

Just my own two cents worth.  Mikey.

Offline Majic

Holster for S&W 29 4"
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2003, 01:31:03 AM »
Mtn Boy,
Try these 2 folks, both are near by and have pretty good selections:

http://www.gunnersalley.com

http://www.cnejs-hunting-fishing.com