Author Topic: the federal marshal  (Read 1078 times)

Offline jamaldog87

• Trade Count: (0)
the federal marshal
« on: March 24, 2008, 07:56:42 AM »
there a pawn shop that is sell off some stuff for cheap. i was there buying some pool cues and games when i saw a gun for 75$. It just said SA gun 44mag and i wanted. So i got my mom to buy it for me(later this year i will be 21 so don't start) and the gun looks new. it says on the barrel it's a hawes ferderal marshal and it's a 44mag. the sights are fixed and it's has woods grips. i had it checked out(the thing looks like it's never been fired) and the gunsmith told me it's good to go.  I used some old 44mag SWC that i got just for the bullets(only half will fire and i got 1000 rounds for 13$) i used some .44 Special cowboy  240gr bullets to check were it shoots. it high at 16 yards and right on at 35yards. It seems to like the 240gr bullets only but will keep most rounds in a 8'' circle at 40 yards or less. My mom and myself both gave it a try(she learning how to shoot and is looking to get a gun) and with 44Special the gun was fun to shoot.  any idea for Accessories  for it cause i want to use it for hunting and are 240gr JHP good for most hunt??
Most Interesting Man in the World: I Don’t Always Watch Shows for Little Girls, but when I Do, I prefer My Little pony . stay magic my friends

Offline jamaldog87

Re: the federal marshal
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 06:55:08 AM »
i looking at a  nylon  holster .
Most Interesting Man in the World: I Don’t Always Watch Shows for Little Girls, but when I Do, I prefer My Little pony . stay magic my friends

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 01:01:33 PM »
well i made a Western rig(kind of) i found a gun belt with ammo loops for 20$ and got a old work belt at the good will for 20cents, a Sidekick Hip Holsters , a high-ride single loop holster and a speed loader case worn upside down so it drops 5 rounds from each one. the gun belt has the Sidekick Hip Holsters on it and the work belt the high-ride single loop holster.  got PMP 240gr JHPand JSP, now all i have to do is find some game and i am all set.

Offline deltecs

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 04:10:49 PM »
I used to have an old Western Hawes in .45 Long Colt.  It functioned fine for me.  I don't remember how good it grouped but it must have been all right, since I kept it for a decade before selling it.  I wouldn't consider shooting max loads in this revolver and would shoot the 240 gr bullets.  I don't think the JHP are the best bullets for hunting.  You should consider a solid nose soft point bullet for hunting. 
Greg lost his battle with cancer last week on April 2nd 2009. RIP Greg. We miss you.

Greg
deltecs
Detente: An armed citizenry versus a liberal society
Opinion(s) are expressly mine alone and do not necessarily agree with those of GB or GBO mgmt.

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 01:14:00 PM »
I used to have an old Western Hawes in .45 Long Colt.  It functioned fine for me.  I don't remember how good it grouped but it must have been all right, since I kept it for a decade before selling it.  I wouldn't consider shooting max loads in this revolver and would shoot the 240 gr bullets.  I don't think the JHP are the best bullets for hunting.  You should consider a solid nose soft point bullet for hunting. 

that what my smith say too( every gun that looks if e i get him to check it out before shooting) i did kill a raccoon with it today with the bad loads(240gr SWC)  there bad cause only half will shoot but a 1000 for 13$ ;D ;D I will use the SP then(i had a 454 ruger but i used anything that i could find) thanks for the help, how was yours and want did you like and didn't like?

Offline deltecs

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 01:28:12 PM »
I don't remember any quirks or abnormalities with this piece.  It did its job and was reliable.  I think the Ruger is a much better made weapon but for the price, probably didn't shoot any more reliably or accurately.  I wanted a rifle and another wanted my Hawes, so the Hawes went and I got the rifle.  Actually, now that I think on it, it was a beaver tailed forearm SXS 20 ga Brazilian made shotgun.  Very good pattern and workmanship.  I never did see a manufacturers name on it, but it was reliable and accurate too.  I have a TC Contender chambered in .45 LC, so didn't need the Hawes.  I was competition silloutte shooting with the TC and the Hawes sighting was not good enough for this, so sold it.  If the price was right, I'd buy another without regret.
Greg lost his battle with cancer last week on April 2nd 2009. RIP Greg. We miss you.

Greg
deltecs
Opinion(s) are expressly mine alone and do not necessarily agree with those of GB or GBO mgmt.

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 10:45:42 AM »
I don't remember any quirks or abnormalities with this piece.  It did its job and was reliable.  I think the Ruger is a much better made weapon but for the price, probably didn't shoot any more reliably or accurately.  I wanted a rifle and another wanted my Hawes, so the Hawes went and I got the rifle.  Actually, now that I think on it, it was a beaver tailed forearm SXS 20 ga Brazilian made shotgun.  Very good pattern and workmanship.  I never did see a manufacturers name on it, but it was reliable and accurate too.  I have a TC Contender chambered in .45 LC, so didn't need the Hawes.  I was competition silloutte shooting with the TC and the Hawes sighting was not good enough for this, so sold it.  If the price was right, I'd buy another without regret.

thanks, now that i have a new handgun i been in a better mood(also got a new airgun) someone sent me a link to the song   Pistolero http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_exIoxxRiXw&feature=related and well i liked it.  What do you think about the use of shot shells in this gun?(i used to used them in 45LC in my 454 for snakes)

Offline deltecs

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2008, 10:55:39 AM »
I've never tried shot shells in the Hawes, not do I think I'd try to.  Not that they wouldn't handle them, but I'd be concerned with the alignment of the cylinder to the bore and may spit lead out the side.  I know they have a plastic shell around the pellets, but still don't think I'd try it.  One of my .45 LC barrels in TC have the bore size also for .410 3" shotgun shells with screw in choke, so probably didn't think about trying shotshells in the Hawes.

Greg
deltecs

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2008, 11:48:21 AM »
I've never tried shot shells in the Hawes, not do I think I'd try to.  Not that they wouldn't handle them, but I'd be concerned with the alignment of the cylinder to the bore and may spit lead out the side.  I know they have a plastic shell around the pellets, but still don't think I'd try it.  One of my .45 LC barrels in TC have the bore size also for .410 3" shotgun shells with screw in choke, so probably didn't think about trying shotshells in the Hawes.

ok, thanks. i did get some shots in on coyotes this weekend after work. i loaded up my gun belt(the one with ammo loops) and rode me bike out to the woods. i had my calls and i came more just to shoot anyways. after 3 hours of calling and only one fox coming for a look(no hunting of foxs in FL) i shot some cans and other stuff. I like the feel of this gun it feel like a real cowboy gun and it not to bad of a hunting gun.