Author Topic: Shortening stock on Tracker II  (Read 554 times)

Offline Ken K

• Trade Count: (0)
Shortening stock on Tracker II
« on: March 26, 2008, 11:42:07 AM »
Well, I found a smith to drill and tap my wife's Tracker II barrell, and I 'm going to have him cut down the stock.   The length is too long for my wife(she's very petite).   Just by the way she holds the gun I can tell it's too long, but is there a reliable measuring method to determine how much to have taken off?   Also, I would like to get a nice recoil pad to go on it, any reccomendations?  Thanks, Ken

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Shortening stock on Tracker II
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 12:09:58 PM »
The Limbsaver is the nicest pad for reducing felt recoil, get the small grind to fit and have your smith fit it. The link below is as good as I've seen on determining LOP.

Tim

http://www.reloadersnest.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2581
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 01:38:33 AM »
You might also just want to try buying a youth stock in the classifieds or from h&R.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 02:03:29 AM »
If the stock has a recoil pad on it ,take it off & have the wife shoulder it. If that feels right ,cut of the thickness of recoil pad, then put the pad back on.
I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 12:02:29 PM »
If the stock has a recoil pad on it ,take it off & have the wife shoulder it. If that feels right ,cut of the thickness of recoil pad, then put the pad back on.

If it is a standard adult stock, all you need to do is find a Walmart spec'd youth stock.  That's how they come.  A "Walmart" youth stock is nothing more than a H&R adult stock that is size for a recoil pad.  They just don't install the pad and put on a butt plate.  Why Walmart spec'd their guns this way is anyone's guess, but that is what I found to be true when playing with the stocks on my various guns.

cookie

These were all shotgun stocks that I was working with.
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline briannmilewis

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 06:50:34 PM »
I am in the process of taming my Tracker II 20g recoil.

One item I added was a small Limbsaver slip-on recoil pad. This added 1" to the length of pull.

I would suggest shortening the stock and leaving the original recoil pad in place and get a slip-on.

Also remember that reducing the length of pull increases felt recoil, increasing the length of pull reduces felt recoil.