Author Topic: Pine ridge scopes?  (Read 1078 times)

Offline simplicity

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Pine ridge scopes?
« on: March 27, 2008, 02:36:29 AM »
Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with cabela's pine ridge series of scopes? I'm looking to put a scope on a encore slug barrel and well funds are tight at the moment. I also can't and won't use anything by bushnell tasco or simmons on anything I know I'm trying to drink a bit of wine with rolling pennies for gas budget.  Just have had really bad luck with all of them. Thanks for any info.

Offline MOGLEY

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Pine ridge scopes?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 03:54:15 PM »
I have a pine ridge scope with multiple turrets set for the 223 bullet weights. Not impressed. Glass is not all that clear and the parallax adjustments is vague at best. You have to play with it to see any difference and target at 200 yards and beyond are like looking through those plastic binoculars sold at fairs! I have always bought scopes of a less expensive nature and they are all compromise's.ie;  Barska 70 dollar range scopes that go from 6-20x40 are a real good 6-12 power and 20 power only under the best of conditions. Eye alignment  has to be spot on or you get that ground fog haze effect.
One scope I like is the Pentax gameseeker series. Look around and you can have one for 100.00. Clear glass and the precision plex is Very nice. I have that on my ar-15 223.

Sorry to ramble. Just passing along my scope experiences and makes. Good luck.
Stupid Hurts

Offline Luckyducker

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 02:05:10 PM »
I looked through a Pine Ridge scope and was not impressed and I am not a scope snob but I do appreciate decent optics.  Since money is tight now, I'd recommend the Nikon Prostaff as a 4X can be bought for about $100 and they are optically incredible for the price.  I don't think a lot of magnification is needed for a slug gun because the shots will not be long range, besides I have shot deer from an improvised rest at 600 yds with my variable power scope set on 4X.  I used to hunt with a fixed power scope on my rifle and forget to turn it up, LOL.

Offline tanoose

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 06:58:45 AM »
For the price they cant be beat i have a  2x7 shotgun scope on a 12 ga pump and a NEF 45/70 also have a 4x12 on a rem 700 30/06a friend of mine uses a 4x12 on a long barreled 45/70 and a 3x9 on his 35 rem all with never a problem My favorites rte the 2x7's  and while there not as clear as a leupold who can complain with there $69- price range.

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 02:15:49 AM »
I love Cabela's, but I wouldn't buy a pine ridge scope.  I tried one out about 6 years ago and I was embarrassed to see it come from Cabela's.  I wont buy a Bushnell, Tasco or Simmons either.  I would search for a good shape used Leupold M8 4x scope off eBay or gunbroker.  These go for around $100 depends on the auction.  Even if you buy a used Leupold and it doesn't work you can send it to Leupold for repair or they will send out a new one.

Last year I bought a used old Vari-X II 3-9x40mm off EBay for $160 which included shipping.  After I recieved the scope the power ring was super tight, but did turn and every thing else on the scope worked fine.  It had a few nicks and dents, but still a good scope.  Well I know Leupold stands behind their products, so I mailed it to them and they weren't able to fix it.  They sent me a brand new VX-II 3-9x40mm scope new in the box.  Turn around time is a few months, so buy it now.

yooper77

Offline wi-deerhunter

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 08:32:44 AM »
I have cabelas pine ridge I put it on a Marlin .30-30 Its allright not too bad, not too good.. I just use it for my back up deer rifle, but If it were my mainly deer gun I'd not buy pine ridge. If you look for cheap scope and just hunt for few days a year, Go for it.