Author Topic: Federal .327 Mag??  (Read 2136 times)

Offline ihuntbucks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • A Real Regular
Federal .327 Mag??
« on: March 28, 2008, 08:42:48 AM »
I was reading an article in the "American Rifleman",Apr 2008 edition about the new Federal round .327 mag.It stated the Ruger  SP 101 in .327 mag will also use  .32 H & R Mag, .32 S & W Long,and .32 S & W ammo.Later in the bit it states that the .327 mag could also be chamber in a gun that was a .357 S&W mag.Is this true?This means that I could try the new .327 in my 686 S &W?.......Rick
"Traveling East" F&AM #261  RAM #105  R&SM #69  KT #23 "Live for nothing;die for something"

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Federal .327 Mag??
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 09:53:07 AM »
the 327 is not the same dia. as a 357 . I have the sp101 in 327 and it shoots great with 32H&R mag. As so far i have not found 327 fed mag ammo .
I believe what was stated is the 327 is between 38+p and 357 performance , closer to 357 mag with some loads . and can be used for self defense . It recoils less and carries one more round over a j frame .
Oh yea, I would not try to use the 327 in the 357 .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline navylawdog

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 10:48:41 AM »
I was reading an article in the "American Rifleman",Apr 2008 edition about the new Federal round .327 mag.It stated the Ruger  SP 101 in .327 mag will also use  .32 H & R Mag, .32 S & W Long,and .32 S & W ammo.Later in the bit it states that the .327 mag could also be chamber in a gun that was a .357 S&W mag.Is this true?This means that I could try the new .327 in my 686 S &W?.......Rick

Also you have to keep in mind that saying something will chamber in something is NOT the same as saying it is okay to shoot that round through another caliber gun. It is just a statement saying it is possible to put that round in the gun. DO NOT try to shoot it in the .357!

Navylawdog

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 01:55:30 PM »
I just read that article and I believe what you read was the part  about it being chambered in the same frame handgun being the SP101 thus allowing it to chamber 6 rounds instead of 5 as in the .357s. I really like the idle of this round and would love to have one in a lever gun.
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline ihuntbucks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 10:20:31 PM »
Thanks guys for info.I guess you're right Bob about the chambered.Kind-of misleading.I knew they weren't the same diameter,and was trying to figure out how in the heck this would work.I looked ammo for .327 mag on "Midway" said coming soon and the 3 different choices were all over $20 per box of 20.You've got to be kinding.I'll just stick with my .357.........Rick
"Traveling East" F&AM #261  RAM #105  R&SM #69  KT #23 "Live for nothing;die for something"

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2008, 01:21:15 AM »
Rick - I read those articles on the 327 and that bit of information relating to the use of that cartridge in small frame guns is a bit misleading if you don't read it thoroughly.  And will someone please pardon me but where the hay does someone get off charging 20 bucks for 20 rounds of ammo - this ain't an underground war zone for goodness sake. 

And I am sorry to read that someone has yet again re-invented the 32-20 and the 7.62x25mm rounds by stretching out a rimmed (and of course, beefing up) 32 revolver case to become the new whizbang of the shooting market. 

And, of course, it is more powerful than a speeding 38 - how else could you draw any attention to it.  And, of course, it is almost as powerful as the 357 magnum - how else could you compare it.

Well, I s'pose there will be a market for it, and some gun mag guru will shoot elephants or water buffalo or free range chickens with it and then it will become the newest thing on the police scene. 

And while you're at it, I have this property on the west end of the Brooklyn bridge you might be interested in.......................jmtcw.  Mikey.

Offline Savage

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2008, 01:49:34 AM »
Mikey, don't forget it has the energy of a .357 with 20% less recoil! Must be something magical in the cartridge, other than the price-------------- ;) Gotta love marketing hype!

Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline ralphk

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2008, 04:31:40 AM »
Shootall, where did you find a .327 I've been calling all over the east looking for one.  Even Ruger won't say when more will be available.  What do you think of it compare to the 357?
Freedom is NOT free!

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2008, 07:09:44 AM »
Great, another gimmick round. As mentioned, it doesn't quite equal the ballistics of the 7.62x25 and I've never heard anyone praise the stopping power of that round. It's actually much like the original 7.65 Luger which was quickly dumped in favor of the larger bullet of the 9mm . Then too, Ruger has for years offered the Blackhawk in .30 carbine which equals or exceeds the ballistics of the .327 Federal and that has never been an outstanding seller nor highly recommended for personal defence. I personally think it is a "niche round" where there is no niche. From a scoped Blackhawk it might make an OK varmint round, as does the .30 carbine, but from an SP-101?
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2008, 03:25:50 PM »
Savage - dang man, you're right.  I forgot the energy equation.  How could I have been so blithely over-confidant to have neglected that?  You're right again - must be magic..........Mikey.

Offline corbanzo

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2008, 03:48:18 PM »
For me.... it offers no appeal.  I love my little .357, and there is nothing that is gonna replace for personal and home protection. 

That being said....

I like the idea of the .327 mag for my girl.  She doesn't want much to do with my .357, too much recoil.  She says with the size, even the .38's aren't great for her.  So a smaller gun which can take some pretty small bullets and some real small loads, if necessary.

I could just go and get a .32mag... but.. I'm me.  And there is something bigger out there, so of course I would rather get something just a little bit bigger.

But yeah, I'm not a girl, and I could give a crap less about a .32 caliber revolver, I agree with your guys points about it.  More marketing than anything... but.  I might have to buy a couple.   ;)
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."

Offline Savage

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2008, 01:19:20 AM »
I agree with your guys points about it.  More marketing than anything... but.  I might have to buy a couple.   

It's working!  ;)
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline canon6

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (119)
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2008, 04:14:27 AM »
All of you guys are right, who but a girly man would want a sissy gun, that only puts out a 115 gr Speer Gold Dot at 1300+ from a 3inch barrel. I GUESS I DO, I bougt the first one I could locate and I flat love it.   My wife WILL NOT GET THIS ONe, I hope.For any of you other girly men that are looking for one try ETOWN GUNS,  phone number 270-766-1448, real nice people to deal with.That is where I got mine. hth  ::)    Doug
a armed man is his own master

Offline coyotejoe

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2008, 08:47:19 AM »
All of you guys are right, who but a girly man would want a sissy gun, that only puts out a 115 gr Speer Gold Dot at 1300+ from a 3inch barrel.   Doug

Well it really isn't about Macho vs. Girly, it's about reliable stopping power which is what defensive handguns are all about. The only thing NEW about this round is the rimmed case for revolvers. But cartridges of very similar performance have been available in auto pistols for more than a century, examples being the 7.65 Luger, the 7.65 Mauser, the 7.65 Borchardt and the 7.62x25mm. All have been thoroughly disparaged and discredited in terms of stopping power, likewise  the .30 m1 carbine even when going 600 fps faster from carbine barrels.
The problem with all of these .30-.32 caliber rounds is that they are totally dependant on bullet expansion, which is not a dependable thing. I would much prefer to download a .357 Magnum with 110-125 grain bullets to obtain comparable recoil levels if that is the primary concern. Then if the hollowpoints fail to expand you'll at least punch a .36 caliber hole which is surely better than a .32 caliber hole.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2008, 09:28:45 AM »
coyotejoe:  the writers who so badly disparaged the 7.62x25/30 Mauser probably never saw any of their buddies hit by one.  The only real disadvantage to those rounds is their incredible ability to overpenetrate.  The Soviets used the 7.62x25 as a military and police sidearm for almost 50 years until they took the pistol out of status as an offensive sidearm role and relegated it to a defensive or secondary role when they adopted the Makarov and the 9x18 round.  While overpenetration is of little concern on the battlefield, it is of great concern on the street and I can easily agree with your thoughts on bullet design for the 30-32 caliber.  There are some nice cast semi-wadcutter designs out there I would love to see in the 7.62x25 and I may have to fiddle with those to see if they would be fun to shoot. 

Oh, canon6 - hey Doug, I think I want to immortalize your famous words:  "My wife WILL NOT GET THIS ONe".............

Hey guys - any bets on how long it will take Doug's wife to glom that 327??????? Days, weeks or merely hours?????  LOLOLOL.  Mikey.

Offline canon6

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2008, 10:30:11 AM »
Mikey, You forget the operative words in that line,"I hope" well we just got back  from the range and my 327 is safe( for the time being) as she still wants her(ex-mine) Ruger Sp101 357,  ;), so I won this day ::)
Now I want some one to explain to me the magic in .030, assuming the samebullet  design, Speer GoldDot, same velocity, etc. Oh yea I forgot it is the magic in 357, maybe there is hidden message in the number. ::)
Now before this gets much further afield, my three most favorite cartridgges in the world are 45-70 (1873) the 6.5X55 Swede(1894) and the 45ACP(1905) so I do not think it is "new is better" syndrome. I was looking for a level of performance, that the 327 will provide.   Doug

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2008, 12:08:51 AM »
Doug ol buddy:::sorry to tell ya this but the magic in that .030 is that your wife can say that hers is bigger than yours.........................Lo siento amigo but she glommed the 357.  Mikey.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2008, 12:58:32 AM »
its nothing im going to run out and buy but to me it does have a use. Not in the field as i use cast bullets and an extra couple hundred fps doesnt mean much to me there. Where i see it shine is in a self defense gun for a women or even a man. Ive shot enough lightweight 357s (especially the titanium ones) to know that the averarge man looking for a self defense gun has no bussiness at all with one of those little cannons. I give ccw class and actually have saw a grown man drop one in the dirt after shooting it. there just plain vicious with 357 loads. Sure you can go to 38s but then you have iffy expansion. Now a 32 shooting a 120 hp at about 1300 fps would take care of alot of that. It would be just as powerful as 9mm or 38 plus p. Recoil less then a 357 and the bullets would have better sectional density so there going to punch through heavy clothing better then any 38 bullet the same weight if construction is simualar and im not one that worrys about overpenetration. If i have to shoot someone i want the bullet inside of them and as deaply as possible.  Chances for an average civilian to get into a cituation that overpenetration is going to be a factor is pretty slim.  come into my bedroom and your going to face either a 12 guage or a ar15 loaded with soft nose. Im not in the business of stopping bank robberys or 7-11 holdups so i probably wont be shooting in a croud. Ill let the police take care of those. Id guess a back alley encounter is what most civilians face with there ccw gun if its outside the home.  Only downside to one i can see is that a guy would still have to put up with the severe muzzle blast of a 357 as im sure there going to bark. Now to me a titanium 2 inch snubby loaded with 32MAG level loads instead of 327s pushing a 120 xtp or simular bullet to about 1100-1200 fps might be the best ccw gun for a women or inexperienced man. Low recoil low muzzle blast accuate and dead reliable. Granted it sure as hell aint a 45acp but the tiny little thing could do anything i do with 25s and 380s on the light side and 38s and 357s on the heavy. A better secondary ccw gun i couldnt think up myself.
blue lives matter

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2008, 03:41:55 AM »
RALPHL, haven't yet , been shooting very warm H&R mag.re-loads .Saw one box but that went with the gun .
As far as the cost , check out some of the old stand bys . and the dealers around here say on 04/04 /2008 prices will go up some more !
Any way you can reload for the gun as cheap as any and only use factory for carry !
Lloyd Smale , Thank you for a realistic post ! we ain't Rambo !
and often a follow up shot is as important as the first ( bad guy #1 might have Bad guy #2 as a helper ! HUM ).
Any way i shoot a 44 mag derringer , have shot the light weights and i agree with your post !

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2008, 10:03:11 AM »
Lloyd - actually, a hardcast swc designed for field use might just become the ticket for the 327, now that I think of it.  I'm not too familiar with the casr bullet selection is the 30 bore revolver but I'm sure that there are probably some decent semi-wadccuters out there that would probably make it into a decent small game field load - whatever you might use a 32-20 for, for example.......

One concern raised by coyotejoe is that with heavier clothing the hollow-point may not open effectively (the main reason we usually prefer a swc design) and act like a 7.62x25 and just zing through, unless it hits somethin'.........

I think it will be pretty interesting to see what happens in cast bullet designs for these 30 bores and I'll just bet we see some semi-wadcutters and even wadcutter designs come along - who knows, it may turn out to be a accurate round. 

Now, if someone out there would just put some similar thoughts into the 7.62x25........I wonder if Ron Reed has anyting in a swc..............Mikey.

Offline canon6

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2008, 11:17:13 AM »
Mikey I am using MT Baldy bullets (120 wfngc) and Cast Performance (113 wfngc) havent had the brass to load a bunch yet.The supply has just opened and Midway/Midsouth says they will have the GD 115 gr   on 4 Apr.I do think a 113/120 @ 1300fps should be equal to the hollow points in effectiveness.As for fpe  around 420+ and should penetrate  well.I do agree with Lloyd Smale , I do not concern my self with overpentration,I am no longer a LEO and am only defending self, others.    Doug

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2008, 01:05:48 PM »
Doug - Thanks.  I should give them a try.  Mikey.

Offline coyotejoe

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2008, 06:48:23 AM »
The issue with overpenetration is not only the danger to innocent persons but the fact that some portion of the energy, stopping power, has exited along with the bullet. Any bullet may exit sometimes but the use of a small diameter hard nosed bullet, whether cast or fmj will pretty much guarantee an exit with lots of energy lost. If I had to rely on a .30 caliber I would rather trust a hollow point which may at least sometimes expand over a bullet guaranteed to never expand. But no mater what bullet type is chosen a bigger bore is better, even if you have to download it to reduce the recoil. Isn't that the lesson most police departments learned when they switched from 9mm to .40 caliber? And isn't that the reason the 7.65 Luger was quickly upstaged by the 9mm Luger?

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2008, 12:44:03 AM »
handguns transfer very little energy to a target no matter what the caliber. You are not going to blow someone off there feet even with a 500 linebaugh. Now if you said a hp made a slightly bigger wound channel id buy that. Problem with small caliber guns used in defense is that if you do use a hp bulllet penetration through heavy clothing can be iffy. Personaly if im carrying a little back up gun id rather use cast and error on the side of penetration rather then a hp for the bigger wound channel and iffy penetratiion
blue lives matter

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2008, 02:21:41 AM »
coyotejoe - I believe the 7.65 Luger was upstaged by the 9mm because the German Military wanted a heavier bullet for greater penetration at distances to 50 yds, which for most european nations as well as the United States, was deemed the max effective distance for a handgun cartridge.  The German Military was aware of the field trials in the United States for a more modern sidearm to replace the 1873 Colt and knew that Georg Luger had earlier submitted P-08 pistols in 7.65 for calvary use against hostile native Americans in the desert southwest and the results of those trials were of interest to them.   

Two problems with the 7.63mm Lugers surfaced.  The Calvary failed to follow instructions not to lubricate the Luger pistols as their tolerances were very tight and sand would jam the action (sound familiar) and the pistols failed to properly function.  In addition, they found the 7.65 or 30 Luger not as effective  in de-horsing a man as the 45 Colt cartridge.  The requirement for a handgun for he Calvary was to be able to de-horse a man or falter the mount at 50 yds. But even when the Luger was submitted it 45 acp caliber the design of the pistol was found to be overly complicated and subject to failure during field trials.

They don't have deserts in Germany and since the Germans felt they could read their own instructions, they adopted the P-08 pistol but in 9mm, which is just a 30 Luger with the shoulder chopped off - hence, 9mm........ The 30 Mauser was a different story however.

The 30 Mauser was about the same (I believe) as the original Borchardt round and was widely adopted as a more powerful round than the 30 Luger and was found to have no apparent problems stopping hostiles.  In fact, Sir Winston Churchill used a Broomhandle against the Zulus in one of his African engagements and wrote home to his mother about the fabulous Mauser pistol.  He is quoted as stating that the enemy - hostile Zulu warriors-  had massed some 30 meters to his front and were preparing to assault when he took aim and fired.  He stated that he killed 9 and wounded 1, then quickly recharged the pistol and this time his aim was more effective (thats 10 out of 10 at 30 yds, which is pretty dang impressive).  So this tells me there may still be a role for a 30 bore in defensive situations if overpenetration is not a concern and the desire to leave someone leakin' from two holes is........... jmtcw.  Mikey.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2008, 02:32:15 AM »
You left out that WC was leading a charge and due to his other arm being hurt at the time used the gun instead of the saber . It was the first time that had been done if the articles i have read are true .

Offline coyotejoe

« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2008, 06:35:29 AM »
 And you actually believe that!! ;D  Sounds like the westerns where the Indians just ride around and around the wagon train waiting their turn to get shot! But I guess the Zulus just stood around 30 yards away waiting for Sir Winston to pop off twenty of them with his silly pistol. ;D Alvin York had nothing on Sir Winston. ;D  And those .30 caliber pistols were the best man stoppers ever invented, we just didn't know it until Federal produced it as a revolver round. ;D 

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2008, 09:10:56 AM »
Shootall - I had forgotten about the bum sword arm, thanks.

coyotejoe:  the tribal warfare tactic of that era was to mass in front of your enemy, chant and shake your weapons to instill fear, pick out at least one or two enemy you wanted to singularly intimidate, and then charge headlong into the enemy mass using bladed (spear) or edged (sword/axe), or weighted (club) weapons to kill as many opposing enemy as you could claim.  It is pretty well documented, as are Churchill's accounts of his actions in battle. 

I have absolutely no doubt that none of those Zulu warriors had the foggiest notion of what was transpiring at the moment or even recognized what a threat that pistol was.  Ironic to think the British empire may have been saved, that day, by a German pistol, eh?  Mikey.

Offline djw

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2008, 10:51:55 AM »
Shootall,
How long is the cylinder of the .327 SP101? I wonder if the cylinder on the .32H&R model is long enough to take the .327 with a rechamber.
Don

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2008, 11:17:04 AM »
No, I don't think so.......................read it somewhere.