Author Topic: Range report  (Read 478 times)

Offline NAM70

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Range report
« on: March 29, 2008, 04:05:39 AM »
I just got back from the range. I was shooting factory Hornady 40 grain V-Max. As you can see my gun does not like these. These two hit the target at about 10 yds but at 25 I'm guessing it was grouping about 3 feet. Yup-a 3 foot group not inches! This is the first rifle that I have ever keyholed on me. I really didn't kmow what to expect from the 40 grainers tho. Later today I'll pick up some 32's. Some day I'll roll my own if my equipment ever gets here. Dave

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Range report
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 04:30:35 AM »
Dave, that's very unusual, have ya looked down the bore of your 204 yet? 95Roadking got one with only half the bore rifled, H&R promptly replaced it of course. :-\

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline NAM70

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 06:49:48 AM »
Tim
 My 204 cleaning stuff is on backorder with my dies and bullets but I was able to push patches down the bore just with the cleaning rod. The barrel is fully rifled. I'm going into town now to get some 32 grainers. The wind has really picked up-very windy-but I'm going back out to the range just because I'm curious. I'll report back. Dave

Offline mitchell

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 09:28:36 AM »
polish your bore. i had the same thing with my 204 when i first got it  with the 40 grains but after a good bore polish and about 100 rounds of brakeing it in i have one of the best shooting 204's out there (groups in the .3's) finsh your brakeing and make sure you polish the chamber befor you give up on the 40 grainers they shoot better then the 32's in most of the 204's i've worked with
curiosity killed the cat , but i was lead suspect for a while

Offline NAM70

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 10:04:26 AM »
I bought a box of Hornady 32 grainers and just got back from the range. First I have to say that its 40 degrees here and extremely windy. My shooting setup was just one of those Caldwell shooting bags off the hood of my Jeep. Just a quick setup. After I got the scope somewhat zeroed in my hands were cold too. This target was shot at 50 yds. The Jeep was rocking in the wind and I was too. So the conditions weren't very good but things are looking up. BTW both of these Hornady loads are hot-if you can believe what they say-so there's enough recoil that it moves me off target. I was expecting to see the hit with the 204 but not yet. When the weather settles down and my dies and other 204 stuff gets here I'll shoot at longer ranges.
Mitchell-I will polish the bore but the jag and brush are on backorder from Midsouth with my reloading supplies. Around here you can buy all that stuff for any cal from 17 on up except they jump over the 20 cal.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2008, 11:48:33 AM »
NAM70

Much better , you may just have one that does not like the 40s , my 223 handi just hates the lighter bullets but will do wonders with the bigger stuff , now if you can just get mother nature and Midsouth to get on board .  ;D

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Slufoot

• Trade Count: (21)
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2008, 03:57:03 PM »
Hey NAM70, Man what a difference 8 grains can make! I bet those 32 grain loads really brightened up your day.

GOOD SHOOTING!
Slufoot

Offline NAM70

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2008, 12:54:07 PM »
Hey NAM70, Man what a difference 8 grains can make! I bet those 32 grain loads really brightened up your day.

GOOD SHOOTING!
Slufoot
Yup-I agree. What a difference a bullet makes. It did make my day :) It was so windy when I finally shot that 50yd group that I had to pull the trigger when the crosshair danced across the bulls eye. So I know this rifle will do alot better. I'm just going to put the Hornady 40's aside for now and shoot them after I get a couple hundred rounds through the barrel. It will come around ;) Dave