Author Topic: what would you do..  (Read 833 times)

Offline slim rem 7

• Trade Count: (1)
what would you do..
« on: March 30, 2008, 09:29:56 AM »
 you are well past being able bodied enough to handle these slugs that like to run in 2s an 3s..
  they are movin in on you .. you have your protection ..  but they dont show a weapon..
   in this state,,if you use you gun ,, you break the law....is pepper gas the only option..
 or what are other ideas..
    a lotto what ifs here but older folk look like easier targets..thats why i got my ccp..

Offline S.S.

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: what would you do..
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 01:25:13 PM »
I have a few years under my belt myself, but physically I can still pack a pretty good punch.
(I used to box). But As other defensive weapons go, I recommend that you look up some of the offerings
by "Cold Steel". I have always liked a good knife myself. Forget the teargas types of weapons,
they are highly over-rated and for the most part ineffective.
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 01:48:58 PM »
From my older perspective, fighting or trying to fight my way out of an attack by two or three younger men is pure and possible fatal folly.  I can haul 100 lb bags of corn and sling 50 lb bales of hay most all day (with lunch, coffee and nap breaks of course) and I can still work the snot out of a 14lb chainsaw for a couple of cords of wood but to think that I am still faster and tougher than two or three punks who have already figured out who takes the front and who comes from behind - usually the guy with the shiv - is near insanity. 

So, I carry a gun and stay alert to my surroundings and those nearby.  If I think I'm being targeted by thugs I immediately turn the tables and target them, gun and all.  I make an obvious movement to get my gun and if need be use it to put them on the ground - hopefully without shots being fired - but failure to comply with an immediate directive merits deadly force in a defensive situation. 

I mean, I would try my best to comply with the governor's new directive to the new york police to try to shoot to wound but it is easy to get rattled in a perceived life or death possibility.  If I'm wrong and they all turn out to be Mormons or Southern Baptists or Jehovah's Witnesses or something then I'll apologize.  But if my senses are correct and they intended harm there is no apology necessary and I can deal with the tangentials afterward.  Mikey.

Offline GatCat

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 02:14:18 AM »
I'm certainly no lawyer, but I've been around. You are talking about: 1) Disparity of age ( you are older and weaker), and 2) Disparity of numbers.
If you feel threatened by actions or words, I would think a reasonable and prudent thing to do would be to announce " I am armed, I feel threatened, and I will shoot if attacked:. Try to move away, and if they approached, oh well......
Mark.

Offline slim rem 7

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 08:03:59 AM »
 ss and mikey.. ironically you guys sound like you are exactly where i was 5 yrs ago..
 i didn t think my body would fail me .. but it did in a big way ..i even did tree work mikey ..
 and used to box.. .. in fact i stayed in good shape working on certain aspects of boxing,,
  the heavy bag an dancing  :),, are excellent ways for a man to keep his endurance and timing..
    but my shoulders just wore out..both had to be operated on..
   i m very satisfied with my cc protection now and hunting guns also.... so this year i hope to try a very slow comeback in the physical dept..if i could get some ability back ,,id feel like i had more options
 in one of those ugly situastions..

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 08:47:41 AM »
sorry about your shoulders , but !
better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6 . is the old saying .
sounds like you can fight in court better at this point . no good answer but to go somewhere that respects ones right to self defense .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 09:46:09 AM »
Slim - one option might be to do as Graybeard does - wear clothing that will allow you to have your hand on the butt of your gun without it being obvious, thereby minimizing your necessary movements while providing you immediate defensive access.  Should help to save some wear and tear on those shoulders.  Just a thought.  Mikey.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008, 10:52:16 AM »
I believe everyone should exercise their RKBA, BUT, (1) you should be intimately familiar with your weapon of choice, (2) you should know when you are authorized to use it under the laws of your state, and, (3) you must be psychologically prepared to kill another human being.  If you can't accept those 3 conditions, don't carry a weapon (knife or gun, both constitute deadly force)

with regard to #3, anyone who expects you to "shoot to wound" has never been in a gun fight.
with regard to #2, In Georgia, and Georgia only - most state laws differ to some degree, the use of deadly force is authorized to prevent death or grievous bodily injury.  Now, I'm old, still mean as a snake but my tweety-bird body can't back up my alligator mouth anymore.  So, in the back of my mind I'm always aware that if I use my CW, I have to be able to convince 12 people that I was in fear of death or grievous injury.
Check your state law.
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline georgeld

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2008, 09:46:20 PM »
We had a good shooting here in town the other night.
23 y.o guy invited some family and friends over to party. One of the nieces invited some punks. One 19 y/o attacked the guy when he told 'em they were not welcome and to leave. Worked him over, then someone pulled the jerk away and they left.

Half hour or so later they came back and the guy started to charge the man.  He got four to the chest and one to the hip.  Don't look like any charges will be filed. Happened within his home too.

I used to be equal to any three, proved it twice. But, since wrecking my back in '85 there's no way I'd want to even try any fast moves for fear of crippling myself up. Even though I'm big and husky, this back has me spooked. Therefore, I'm armed.

Far as killing someone that needs it. The mental part of that would present no problem to me.  Just making sure I don't make a mistake that gets me locked up is the only concern.

Far as shooting to wound, that's nonsense.  Shoot to stop the attack is the only way to do it. IF they're dead, that's too bad.  At least they can't sue for pain and suffering, right?

George
LM: NRA, NAHC, NAFC, NWTF
"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
It's about Control, join the NRA today!!"

Offline S.S.

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2008, 04:42:19 AM »
"can't sue for pain and suffering, right?"

their relatives sure will though!
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2008, 05:53:57 AM »
ASK OJ !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Devy55

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2008, 08:12:02 AM »
I agree with AtlLaw. I could be mean, but I'm a lot older, a bit slower, a tad softer, but hopefully a lot wiser than I was years ago.

For me, the last thing I want to do is let some punks get their hands on me.  At that point, the odd's are in their favor.  Might be different if I was a martial artist, but I'm a street brawler.  And I ain't running away either, because I don't want to turn my back on them.  They'd probably catch me and I'll really be screwed because now I'm out of breath.

Remember, most punks and predators go after soft targets...those they think they can easily take down.  Your best bet is to not look vulnerable and let them know it'll cost them more than it's worth to mess with you.  Basically, discourage them to go pick on someone else.

So if it's obvious there's a showdown coming, I want to keep them beyond arm's length.  I'll use my brains, my courage, and whatever weapons are at my disposal to discourage them from messing with me.

If I can't tell for sure, then I'll keep my hand on my gun and try to alter my path.  If they attack suddenly, I'm shooting first.  If I wind up in court, I'm an old man, being overpowered by several violent and healthy youths, and was dreadfully afraid for my life.

Offline jimster

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2008, 12:06:17 PM »
I'm with Mikey on turning the tables or changing the timing of everything.  You have a two or three slugs moving toward you, my best bet is to make glaring eye contact, sweep back my shirt with my hand on the gun, and say something kind of LOUD....if this does not break their stride and change something right away, they must be robots, pull your gun quick and center it on them...if they still are just walking towards you, go ahead and shoot, and wait for the springs and gears to fly out of them, they surely must be robots.  The situation given there does not leave much room to do nothing and just wait for them to get too close, seems like getting eye contact and saying in a loud and deep voice GIVE ME SPACE BOYS while reaching for your weapon should change things right quick. If they are innocent, you'll know it right quick, if they are not, you'll know it just as fast.  Legalities?  Well, the situation says if you use a gun you break the law in that State, don't know what that means, but I figure then having one in the first place (my choice) is breaking the law in that State, anything you do after that won't make much of a difference will it?  Take my chances in court.  I figure if you can't get a couple of thugs to break their stride or change their paths when you sweep back your shirt and put your hand on your gun while saying something loud to them....something must be wrong, they are not normal.   I don't want to street fight at 51 and lose.  I don't want to lose.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2008, 12:24:14 AM »
If a man is willing to die too get too me I figger I will oblige him.
I am old, soft, and slow---so physical is just out of the question. I can have the assurance, however, that he will never know what happens too me.
Do I trust the courts? No, not entirely, but I don't have too put up with being beaten or killed just too keep from going to jail.
I am not a tough guy---maybe more of a coward, but I considered this a long time ago and figgered that I am not tough enough to be physically combatant--but I don't have too take a beating, be robbed, or killed.
At 68 I am a good target for someone---I plan for them too be a better target for me.
You just don't have too put up with giving up.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD