Author Topic: 6 Signs the U.S. May Be Headed for War in Iran  (Read 7838 times)

Offline ms

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
6 Signs the U.S. May Be Headed for War in Iran
« on: March 31, 2008, 04:53:20 AM »

6 Signs the U.S. May Be Headed for War in Iran 

http://www.usnews.com/blogs/news-desk/2008/03/11/6-signs-the-us-may-be-headed-for-war-in-iran.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is the United States moving toward military action with Iran?

The resignation of the top U.S. military commander for the Middle East is setting off alarms that the Bush administration is intent on using military force to stop Iran's moves toward gaining nuclear weapons.

In announcing his sudden resignation today following a report on his views in Esquire, Adm. William Fallon didn't directly deny that he differs with President Bush over at least some aspects of the president's policy on Iran. For his part, Defense Secretary Robert Gates said it is "ridiculous" to think that the departure of Fallon -- whose Central Command has been working on contingency plans for strikes on Iran as well as overseeing Iraq -- signals that the United States is planning to go to war with Iran.

Fallon's resignation, ending a 41-year Navy career, has reignited the buzz of speculation over what the Bush administration intends to do given that its troubled, sluggish diplomatic effort has failed to slow Iran's nuclear advances. Those activities include the advancing process of uranium enrichment, a key step to producing the material necessary to fuel a bomb, though the Iranians assert the work is to produce nuclear fuel for civilian power reactors, not weapons.

Here are six developments that may have Iran as a common thread. And, if it comes to war, they may be seen as clues as to what was planned. None of them is conclusive, and each has a credible non-Iran related explanation:

1. Fallon's resignation: With the Army fully engaged in Iraq, much of the contingency planning for possible military action has fallen to the Navy, which has looked at the use of carrier-based warplanes and sea-launched missiles as the weapons to destroy Iran's air defenses and nuclear infrastructure. Centcom commands the U.S. naval forces in and near the Persian Gulf.

In the aftermath of the problems with the Iraq war, there has been much discussion within the military that senior military officers should have resigned at the time when they disagreed with the White House.

2. Vice President Cheney's peace trip: Cheney, who is seen as a leading hawk on Iran, is going on what is described as a Mideast trip to try to give a boost to stalled Israeli-Palestinian peace talks. But he has also scheduled two other stops: One, Oman, is a key military ally and logistics hub for military operations in the Persian Gulf.

It also faces Iran across the narrow, vital Strait of Hormuz, the vulnerable oil transit chokepoint into and out of the Persian Gulf that Iran has threatened to blockade in the event of war. Cheney is also going to Saudi Arabia, whose support would be sought before any military action given its ability to increase oil supplies if Iran's oil is cut off.

Back in March 2002, Cheney made a high-profile Mideast trip to Saudi Arabia and other nations that officials said at the time was about diplomacy toward Iraq and not war, which began a year later.

3. Israeli airstrike on Syria: Israel's airstrike deep in Syria last October was reported to have targeted a nuclear-related facility, but details have remained sketchy and some experts have been skeptical that Syria had a covert nuclear program. An alternative scenario floating in Israel and Lebanon is that the real purpose of the strike was to force Syria to switch on the targeting electronics for newly received Russian anti-aircraft defenses.

The location of the strike is seen as on a likely flight path to Iran (also crossing the friendly Kurdish-controlled Northern Iraq), and knowing the electronic signatures of the defensive systems is necessary to reduce the risks for warplanes heading to targets in Iran.

4. Warships off Lebanon: Two U.S. warships took up positions off Lebanon earlier this month, replacing the USS Cole. The deployment was said to signal U.S. concern over the political stalemate in Lebanon and the influence of Syria in that country.

But the United States also would want its warships in the eastern Mediterranean in the event of military action against Iran to keep Iranian ally Syria in check and to help provide air cover to Israel against Iranian missile reprisals. One of the newly deployed ships, the USS Ross, is an Aegis guided missile destroyer, a top system for defense against air attacks.

5. Israeli comments: Israeli President Shimon Peres said earlier this month that Israel will not consider unilateral action to stop Iran from getting a nuclear bomb.

In the past, though, Israeli officials have quite consistently said they were prepared to act alone -- if that becomes necessary -- to ensure that Iran does not cross a nuclear weapons threshold. Was Peres speaking for himself, or has President Bush given the Israelis an assurance that they won't have to act alone?

6.Israel's war with Hezbollah: While this seems a bit old, Israel's July 2006 war in Lebanon against Iranian-backed Hezbollah forces was seen at the time as a step that Israel would want to take if it anticipated a clash with Iran.

The radical Shiite group is seen not only as a threat on it own but also as a possible Iranian surrogate force in the event of war with Iran.

So it was important for Israel to push Hezbollah forces back from their positions on Lebanon's border with Israel and to do enough damage to Hezbollah's Iranian-supplied arsenals to reduce its capabilities.

Since then, Hezbollah has been able to rearm, though a United Nations force polices a border area buffer zone in southern Lebanon.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
Re: 6 Signs the U.S. May Be Headed for War in Iran
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 07:50:49 AM »
If we think that they are devloping a bomb we should just give them one i'm sure we could spare just one and a bomber to deliver it. As for putting troops in another war we do not have the manpower to do it  and what we have are worn out from a conflict that has lasted longer than ww 2 our equiptment is shot and the troops are tired. Not a good ideas unless the pres and the vice pres want to lead the charge along with the oil people who would benifit the most from another ill conceived plan.
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 08:41:00 AM »
yup, giving them a bomb is a great idea.  also sends a message to the rest of the world.

Offline Echo4Lima

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 02:23:11 PM »
T-man, I  had a good chuckle when I got to the part about the "one bomber to deliver it".  Did you Google the rest of that stuff off the  "Blame America First, America's Always Wrong and Cant Do Anything Right" talking point site?

I will thank you though for reminding me why I had stopped reading The 'Ole Pot Bellied Stove threads....

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 02:56:58 AM »
umm, just an observation,  but i think he was responding to torpedoman's post.  a little edgy today?

Offline powderman

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 03:29:43 AM »
umm, just an observation,  but i think he was responding to torpedoman's post.  a little edgy today?

Guilty conscience is more like it. POWDERMAN.  :D :D :D :D :D :D
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline Echo4Lima

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008, 07:54:48 AM »
Yes Powder, guilty conscience is probably it.

Your right TM7, it is a challenge with many of you.  Hard to turn the lights on with nobody home..........

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2008, 01:28:40 PM »
Our resident Nazi sympathizer must have needed a little attention. But he is right, if Iran is nuked and the death toll is above 20 million I will host a bar b que to honor the defeat of the Sarasans. Powderman you will be on the honored guest list.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline powderman

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2008, 03:33:33 PM »
BILLY. I would be honored my friend, it would be a good start. I'll bring plenty of crying towels for tm7. POWDERMAN.   ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Offline deltecs

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2008, 03:38:35 PM »
BILLY. I would be honored my friend, it would be a good start. I'll bring plenty of crying towels for tm7. POWDERMAN.   ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Naw, it would be a cover up conspiracy to hide the cost of Iraq war and Afghanistan by the administration, which in turn was a cover up conspiracy about the world trade centers and 9/11 by Arab militants, when in actuality, it was our own government according to our Middle East expert.  Maybe that's what the Captain and crew of the Cole were doing on the ship when it blew up, barbecuing in the powder mag and it was not a terrorist attack?
Greg lost his battle with cancer last week on April 2nd 2009. RIP Greg. We miss you.

Greg
deltecs
Detente: An armed citizenry versus a liberal society
Opinion(s) are expressly mine alone and do not necessarily agree with those of GB or GBO mgmt.

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2008, 04:09:19 PM »
Now it won't be anything fancy. Brisket, ribs, pork shoulder, beans, cole slaw, beer and soda's. But I'm told I'm one of the best Bar b Quers in town.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline kevthebassman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2008, 04:14:39 PM »
I'm pretty sure we'll have a full global economic collapse if that happens.  The Iranians can and will shut down the gulf.  Sinking a single tanker would probably cause a panic and be enough to scare any other tankers from making the trip.  Without Arab oil, the Russians and Venezuelans are about the only ones with oil, and neither one of them will give us a drop if we bomb Iran.

I know 'ole GW is pretty slow, but I don't think that he's dumb enough to think that we can take Iran.

Offline dukkillr

• The Daily Limit
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2008, 05:00:19 PM »
We are not invading iran any time soon.  Sometimes I wonder why people read some of the stuff they do.

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2008, 02:19:06 AM »
TM7 you are invited too. We would need some entertainment and I'm sure we would laugh at you harder than we would Larry the Cable guy.

Offline kevthebassman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2008, 12:56:30 PM »
kevthebassman..Iran has alot, many, many sunburn and yahont missles....apparently quite effective.  Some miltary naval experts have said that these missles outdate naval fleets as we know them...but I don't know for sure. Fuel prices would skyrocket if Iran is attacked no doubt, dollar might tumble further....this might be keeping the crazies in check for the time being.

...TM7
The Iranians aren't stupid.  Our navy is damn good but I don't think we could keep the gulf open if the Iranians decided they wanted it closed.  For now at least, we're in a bit of a Mexican stand-off.  We have the firepower to make them hurt real bad, and they have just enough fire power to put our balls in a vise and squeeze them.  Neither one of use would come out of such a confrontation as the "winner" because there wouldn't be an airfield, bridge, or power plant left standing in Iran, but they could take down the global economy like a house of cards.

I think the net result of a US-Iran war would be a global depression where the Russians and most of South America are the only ones who haven't cooked and eaten their boots.

Offline no guns here

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2008, 02:32:02 AM »
Nothing will happen there until we have some time to recover, reorganize, refit and retrain.  So many of our troops have been deploying for peace-keeping that they aren't trained to that "razor-honed sharpness" that would be needed to slice through Iran...  Some of our front line planes are still grounded.  Equipment and vehicles are still being worn down in Iraq.  Could we win???  Hell, yes.  Would we win???  Hell, yes!  Would it be a hard fight?  Yes, much harder than without a couple of years off to rest up and retrain.  On the other hand, can we make Iran's navy go away over night?  Yep, not much problem there.  Stealth and gps guided bombs make that pretty easy.  Can we make their Air Force go away?  Yep... A little harder but we could do it as well.  Probably wouldn't lose many planes doing it either.  Stealth has a way of making it possible to make air defenses disappear.  If you think we haven't already listed every know airfield, runway, hard shelter and POL point along with their GPS coordinates in an frago somewhere you're crazy.  We don't have enough F-22's yet but they are coming every month.  Our F-22's are tearing our own F-15's a new butt everytime in training.  HUGE kill ratio's.  The ragheads can't touch us.  Problem is the AF/Navy can't do it all.  Army/USMC is worn down.  Gotta have some time to get back to full strength.  Personally I hope Israel gets attacked and nukes them all and solves the problem...  We'll just have to learn to use less oil... for a while.

ngh
"I feared for my life!"

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2008, 02:52:32 AM »
well if israel nuking them would solve it, tell me what would be the difference in us doing it?  again, problem solved.   

i guess i need to clarify... i dont advocate nuking iran......i would rather neutron bomb them.   ;D

Offline kevthebassman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2008, 01:17:46 PM »
The only thing that the Iranians need to bring the global economy to it's knees is anti-ship cruise missiles.  They know this, and they happen to have quite a few of them.

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2008, 02:01:18 AM »
TM7 Are you going to join us for the party? As  much as I'd like to see it, I seriously doubt that there will be a nuclear strike on Iran.

Offline powderman

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2008, 04:00:48 PM »
Theres a local preacher on tv who has predicted a neuclear strike on iran and russia before Bush leaves office by Israel. He also says that within 2 years all prophesies in Jeremiah will have been fulfilled. he says that if a dumcrap is elected America will turn its back on Israel and they will have to fight alone, and thats why he thinks it will be soon.  POWDERMAN.  :( :( :( :( :( :(

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2008, 02:40:13 AM »
So TM7 are you going to join us for the Bar B Que? I'm sure we could all use some comic relief.

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2008, 03:21:12 AM »
First of all when did the muzzies gain human status? And I've never had picked pig hearts but picked deer heart is the bomb. I have to say I'd love to have a piece of the desert glass made by the bomb that had a muzzie shadow on it for a decoration at the party. We were all looking forward to seeing you there you will be missed.

Offline kevthebassman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2008, 04:15:52 AM »
They're human beings just like us.  Most of them over there don't have or want anything to do with what their idiot of a president is saying.  I'd wager that most of them are more worried about how they're going to feed their children and keep a roof over their head, and if their son is going to get drafted into the army.

Pretending like they aren't human just because they worship a different sky-buddy is really some sick stuff and isn't going to get us anywhere.

Offline dukkillr

• The Daily Limit
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2008, 06:14:39 AM »
They're human beings just like us.  Most of them over there don't have or want anything to do with what their idiot of a president is saying.  I'd wager that most of them are more worried about how they're going to feed their children and keep a roof over their head, and if their son is going to get drafted into the army.

Pretending like they aren't human just because they worship a different sky-buddy is really some sick stuff and isn't going to get us anywhere.
Are you advocating a position that doesn't focus on ignorance and crazy talk?  Be careful with that around topics like this.

Offline kevthebassman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2008, 07:09:56 AM »
I know.... just saying.   ::)

;)

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2008, 02:09:02 PM »
Right;
  It sure seems like all of Israel wants to live in peace and be left alone..but the same crazies that "danced in the street" on 9/12/01, keep sending rockets into Israeli territory and "stupidcide" bombing Israeli schools, nurseries and hospitals..
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline kevthebassman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2008, 06:10:04 PM »
Right;
  It sure seems like all of Israel wants to live in peace and be left alone..but the same crazies that "danced in the street" on 9/12/01, keep sending rockets into Israeli territory and "stupidcide" bombing Israeli schools, nurseries and hospitals..

Israel's problem.  My tax dollars and my countrymen's blood shouldn't be used to solve Israel's problem any more than they should be used to solve Darfur's problem, or Tibet's problem, or anyone else's problem for that matter.

We can't keep up this world police act forever.  It's not making us any friends and it's bleeding our coffers dry.  We're 9 trillion dollars in debt, our borders are wide open, our own people can't get medical care, our high schools are idiot factories, but yet we keep spending our blood and treasure on the causes of others.

How long will we continue to stand for this?

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2008, 02:12:50 AM »
  Israel is the only bastion of democracy in a dark corner of the world  they are being attacked incessantly by evil enemies. Yes; we could say" just go ahead and suffer
  Israel, we have ours and we care not if evil overflows your small corner of the world.
   Don't know about you, but it troubles me to see a small nation being attacked by barbarians trying to take their land..when the barbarians already control adjacent lands with an area 500 times the size of Israel...and still have done zilch with it !
   BTW: No American blood is being shed for Israel ! I would rather have my tax dollars spent on the Israelis, someone that tries to help themselves..than to have my tax monies spent over and over again to treat career criminals and addicts that just don't care !

That being said, many of the folks that "don't have health care", often have only themselves to blame for it.  Some choose not to buy insurance, others truly cannot afford it. The statement is a misnomer however, pushed by "nanny-state" advocates. Law says people must be treated..even if they neglected to buy health insurance.
   Probably the biggest drain is from the illegal aliens that are robbing Americans daily..in costs they run up for health systems, law enforcement etc.

Now; the old shibboleth about education ! too much money is already being thrown at education..with very poor results. We already spend more than any other nation for education ..and where do we rank ?   Don't blame Israel for the miserable performance of SOME teachers ! Even the good teachers have their job problems exacerbated by poor parenting and trouble making lawyers.. Private/Christian schools get a lot more mileage from a lot less dollars.

"Spending our blood & treasure on the causes of others"   Yes we do; I am tired of  spending my taxes on things like a " Woodstock Museum", protecting some stupid species that should have gone extinct centuries ago..and a few thousand other "pork projects"...

Best way to preserve our treasure is to limit spending for useless projects..we can limit it by our vote..

Last year Sen Hillary Rodham Clinton "earmarked" $236,000,000 for such vote-buying efforts, Sen Barak Hussein Obama earmarked $97,000,000 toward vote buying,
  while Sen John Sidney McCain's earmarks for vote buying totaled....$0....  A word to the wise...should be sufficient !
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline magooch

« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2008, 04:29:08 AM »
All that is necessary for evil to prevail is for good men, or nations to stand by and do nothing.  It might be a little stretch, but we are still speaking English instead of German, Russian, Sand Niggero, and who knows what else it might be, because we haven't just stood by and watched.  However, I am very unhappy and worried that we have not paid enough attention to the Spanish lingo that has infiltrated along with those who shouldn't be here.

I have to laugh at the lefties who say we should be fighting the terrorists in Afghanistan and Pakistan, but not in Iraq and that we are responsible for the miserable shape that countries like Syria and Lebanon are in.  The left is really world class when it comes to spin, rationalization and lack of convictions. 

In deed the war on terror is costing us enormously, but I weigh that cost against what it would surely be if we had just continued to ignore the fact that war had been declared on us and hope that it would go away.
Swingem

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2008, 11:35:02 AM »
 I looked at the link you provided TM7 ...but I still am far from convinced. Where do the statistics come from ? We already know that in Islam it is perfectly acceptable to lie to "infidels" in order to promote the jihad !  ..And of those actually killed, how many women and children were sacrificed for propaganda..by basing a rocket launcher, mortar or bunch of raving fanatics among the innocents..using them as shields.
  I saw a live comcast of a solemn funeral of a "victim" of an Israeli "attack"..There were several masked terrorists carrying a funeral bier past the western TV cameras. The corpse had barely passed by the camera, when it fell completely off the platform, whereupon the "corpse" jumped back to his feet, grabbed the green flag around himself..and climbed back aboard the platform...

Fool me once, shame on you...they won't fool me twice...