Author Topic: Double O Ring ?  (Read 690 times)

Offline MNSHOOTER

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
Double O Ring ?
« on: March 31, 2008, 06:02:35 AM »
Hi Guys, First I would like to say hello as I am new to the forum and to the Handi rifle. My first time out with my new .270 was quite disappointing to say the least! It shot 4" groups at best. So after reading all the info I could find on here I polished the bore, free floated the forend , did the base job, and the o-ring on the barrel stud. My question is has anyone tried 2 o-rings ? With one my barrel channel is still kind of tight even after a lot of sanding but with 2 o-rings I can slip a Bill under it fairly easy. I am looking forward to trying it again to see if I helped it out . I am shooting 130 hyd's over 53.5 gr. of AA 4350 . This load groups well in my other .270'S . I hope I get it shooting as this is my first singleshot centerfire. I have the Std. barrel with synthetic stock by the way. Thanks Mark

Offline Datil

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
Re: Double O Ring ?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 07:43:09 AM »

Welcome Mark, to the wonderful world of handi's and BGO forums!
 as for double O rings,you can try 2 O rings maybe what you need,
 Every Handi os different, Some shoot better with out Some with thin
 plastic washer. You will never know with out trying it. Best of luck, Marv.

Offline snapcrackpop

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • A Real Regular
  • Baloo - blue weim
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 08:39:34 AM »
The standard response I have read is to shoot it with the forearm off, supported near the action. 
If it doesn't shoot any better with it off, then it's not that.

BTW, in the FAQ's they talk about using a nylon washer for the synthetic stocks instead of the rubber O's.
And it appears my .243 and 22-250 shoot better with factory than with reloads.  Either that or my reloading is not up to par, yet...

snapcrackpop
southern MN
Got:
Handi VP 22/410, 410, 20, 17M2, .223, 357MAX, 50cal ML SS w/MU plug

Offline JerryKo

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (64)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 09:04:46 AM »
My son's 270 syn is the same way.  I went straight to the double o-ring because of the tight fit.  It did help.  Also count the number of turns you tighten the forearm screw to get close to the same tension each time you remove the forearm.  Won't be exact obviously, but its better than nothing.  But like snapcrackpop said, its quickest to determine if a forearm needs work by shooting with it removed.  I still am not crazy about the syn forearms because of the lack of a seperate harder spacer to ride the frame hinge radius.  Good luck, and welcome!

Jerry
"It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up."- Vince Lombardi

Offline MNSHOOTER

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 09:23:13 AM »
Thanks for the reply's . I am going to try the double o-ring first and see what it does! If I still have problems I will try it with the foreend off and go from there. I know some rifles take some tinkering i have a Model 88 win in .284 that's finicky as heck and a pre 64 70 that I had to glass bed before it would shoot ! But that's what makes it a passion and not just a hobby !  Mark

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 09:24:07 AM »
It'll only take a minute to try. Why not?

I had a 25-06 that I used one o-ring on the stud and a bigger one around the base of the stud.
One o-ring just didn't quite work on it.
Shot great.

Also, don't be afraid to sand the fore arm out a little.

Offline NAM70

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 12:50:35 PM »
Snapcrackpop
 Get any snow today? What part 0f Mn are you from. I'm kind of between Marshall and Redwood.
Dave

Offline snapcrackpop

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • A Real Regular
  • Baloo - blue weim
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2008, 02:11:01 AM »
PM sent.
Got:
Handi VP 22/410, 410, 20, 17M2, .223, 357MAX, 50cal ML SS w/MU plug