Author Topic: Winchester model 1200  (Read 863 times)

Offline Buckman

• Trade Count: (0)
Winchester model 1200
« on: March 31, 2008, 10:15:20 AM »
I have a line on one of these for $250.00.  It's a 12g with a full choke 30" barrel in the pump action.  Anybody have one and if you do are they are a good gun.  It looks in good shape from the pictures.

Offline dukkillr

• Moderators
    • The Daily Limit
Re: Winchester model 1200
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 05:40:03 AM »
They are not a good gun.  Maybe the worst pump made today.  For 250 you can find a good used 870 or maybe even a Nova. 

For reasons I can't entirely explain, winchester has continued to make better autos and worse pumps.  If you're heart is  set on Winchester get an old Model 12.  They haven't been made for decades and they are still the best pumps available.

Offline jlchucker

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 10:27:59 AM »
I bought one of those when I was a Winchester employee (New Haven Ammo Plant) in 1969.   I got two extra barrels for it--an IC one (ribbed) and a slug barrel with sights.  I can't agree that it was the "worst pump made today".  Mine got extensive use, fired slugs accurately, and is still in the family after all these years, being used for bird hunting by my brother.  It was a better gun than some other pumps being produced at the time. Real walnut but crappy impressed checkering.  Just be careful when you change barrels. Close the action before you take it apart and put it back together or you will lose parts. I have an 870 Remington now, but there's been times when I wish I still had that Winchester.  It wouldn't win beauty prizes, but it always functioned pretty well.  The big rap back then, besides the ugly checkering, was the aluminum receiver--but since the bolt locked into the barrel, that's not an altogether bad thing.  Mossberg receivers are aluminum, too.   

Offline mountainview

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 12:03:42 PM »
I somehow doubt that the Model 1200 is the worst pump "made today" since it was replaced by the 1300 some time back and has not been manufactured since. I had a 1200 for awhile and it was not a bad gun. Since the 1200 did not fit me as well as my Rem, I decided to replace it but I never had any malfunctions or problems and it had a very smooth action. Depending on your area, $250 seems a bit high since similar models seem to be going for a bit less on Gunbroker so I'd check around a bit.

Offline BCB

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 09:05:45 AM »
Yea, I don’t agree either that they are the worst shotgun ever made!  I have a couple of them that I purchased sometime in the late 1960’s or early 1970’s.  The 1st one I purchased, I had a poly choke put on it—who knows why?  Regardless, I later removed that choke and put a bead on the end of the barrel and it became one of the best rabbit guns I ever used.  A short barrel that was easy to swing—reloaded AA made it quite effective.  The other one had screw-in chokes and I worked with it (along with a gunsmith bending the barrel) to get it to shoot to P.O.A. and it has dusted a few turkey at 40 yards using good reloads.  The only problem I have found with them is the fact that they are a bit “clubby”.  The slide is bulky.  The one that I purchased that has the shortened barrel is a smooth as smooth can be from much use.  They did require some use to smooth out.  $250 might be a bit much unless the shotgun is in excellent condition.  Good-luck…BCB

Offline Keith L

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 04:07:12 PM »
For quite a while they were a door prize at sports banquets around here, and there were quite a few for sale in new condition for $100-150.  That was a few years ago and I have no idea what they sell for now.  My kid has a couple that he got cheap and while they are not fine firearms they seem to get the job done for him.  He is not likely to really baby them when hunting.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."  Benjamin Franklin

Offline DCRthe3rd

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2008, 04:42:49 AM »
Wow , I actually love winchester pump guns , currently I have a 1300 and a 120 ,ol lady got a 1300 in 20 ga to ,  a fella in the classifieds here has a 120 also for 200 , I have run wichester pump guns alot while cleaning and the barrel removed and nothing ever fell off , the rem 870 while still a good gun is not the same rem 870 of yesteryear , alot of things seem to get cheapened up as time goes by , I got no qualms about a winchester pump