Author Topic: Buffalo Classic Ladder Sights  (Read 891 times)

Offline Sandback

• Trade Count: (0)
Buffalo Classic Ladder Sights
« on: March 31, 2008, 11:09:31 AM »
First and foremost, what a great set of forums!  My sincere thanks to the folks who have taken the time to write the detailed and understandable answers asked here.  Thank you.

I am the proud owner of a fine Buffalo Classic.  However, as many others before me, I am more than a little dismayed at the atrocious Williams peep sight hanging on this otherwise elegant rifle.  I would like to eventually use this rifle in BPRC shoots.  In the meantime, I plan on enjoying it at the range, consistently slaying milk jugs at ranges the befuddle the folks using the techno-magnum with mounted illuminated uber-Hubble scope.

I have read the threads, scratched my noggin, and pondered the best way to right this wrong.  While initially I thought to mount a Vernier/Soule type peep sight on the wrist, I can't quite overcome my concern that the repeated recoil will ultimately result in any sight mounted to the stock shifting.  While not eliminating this option, I want to explore others.  Detailed perusal of the forums here lead me to the Smith ladder sight.  However, it seems that for reasons that escape me, this sight has gone from a peep to a buckhorn.  I have searched without success for a peep sight variant.

This is my dilemma:  My aging eyes will not accept the buckhorn at the current mounting position, and I have no desire to drill new holes to move this down the barrel.  I want a peep sight, but on a barrel mounted ladder type sight.  I thought the Smith sight would be my solution, but alas, not to be. 

Is there a barrel mounted ladder sight that is acceptable to BPRC restrictions?  If so, where can I obtain one?  If there aren't any commercially available, has anyone successfully altered the Smiths ladder sight to a peep sight? 

Why, oh why did anyone think that the Williams sight on the Buffalo Classic was a good idea?

Scott

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Buffalo Classic Ladder Sights
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 11:20:35 AM »
Welcome! The WGRS is a hunting sight for the most part, since the adjustments are fairly crude, it isn't much of a target sight, but what do you expect for an $18 sight!! ;D The current production Smith sight does come with a peep slider as BA and Brownells have both updated their pics to show it that way, or you can order one from Smith and get it eventually!! The long range BC/Target sights links in the FAQs and Help sticky show all the sources. You'll likely want to add a lower front sight and better inserts tho, that info can be found in the same bunch of threads.

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain