Author Topic: XD9 Subcompact  (Read 1848 times)

Offline petepaaz

• Trade Count: (0)
XD9 Subcompact
« on: April 01, 2008, 06:31:19 PM »
.....in looking for an easier shooting/higher capacity concealable weapon than my J frame S&W 642, I recently purchased a Springfield Armory XD9 Subcompact. Does anyone have any experience with this model and if so what are your impressions?

Offline XD9

• Contributor
  • Match Grade Makes A Difference!
Re: XD9 Subcompact
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 04:09:19 PM »
Obviously, you can see I am a BIG fan of this gun!!  I know several people who own them and don't really hear any complaints.  I also own the subcompact 9mm.  I've had it for a couple years now and have probably put 1,000 or more rounds through it.  I haven't had a single jam or anything go wrong.  It's also my daily carry gun...most of the time.  VERY solid and accurate...and easy to shoot.  It fits my hands very well so I could shoot it all day without it wearing on me.  I think you made a great purchase and I don't have a single bad thing to say about them.

If you're looking for a holster, look at www.desantisholster.com.  I carry mine in the "Pro Stealth" holster and really like it.
I'm an accountant and I carry a gun...'nuff said

Offline petepaaz

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 06:06:27 PM »
...thanks XD9...sounds encouraging that I made a good choice.....the holster lead will be helpful too....as my pocket holster isn't big enough for the trigger guard to fit...and the one supplied isn't the greatest. I'm especially encouraged by the reliability you mentioned....which of course is paramount in any self-protection scenario....with a very full work schedule I haven't had a chance to get to the range yet....but will so soon.
.....are extra magazines easy to come by?....also what ammo does yours favor? And are there after market night sights available?

Offline XD9

• Contributor
  • Match Grade Makes A Difference!
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 09:48:35 AM »
You can pick up an extra mag at pretty much any gun shop.  I got an extra 10 rd mag at Gander Mtn...great to have when at the range.  I've shot a few different kinds of ammo through mine, Federal Premium, Blazer  Brass, Winchester, etc.  Everything has been factory loads.  I mostly shoot Winchester USA 115 grn fmj's.  This is what I always have at the range and I have very good accuracy out of them.  I carry Federal Premium HP Hydrashocks...too expensive to shoot many of them though.

As for the night sights, I'm sure there are many options available.  I haven't replaced mine so I can't say I've done any research on them.  However, if you like the option of a laser, check out the ones made by LaserMax that replace the guide rod.  VERY NICE for semi-auto's.
I'm an accountant and I carry a gun...'nuff said

Offline sniper2u00

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2008, 04:21:42 PM »
Here is a link to some XD extras ;D I like my 4in. 40 cal. No problems at all !!!!!
http://www.pistolgear.com/

Offline petepaaz

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2008, 06:40:59 PM »
.....after owning my sub-compact for a week, I'm finally going to get it to the range tomorrow (working too much over time til now),....have  100 count box of WW 115gr FMJ that I got at Cabelas here in AZ and will break it in with those...hopefully....then on to HP ammo to test for actual self-defense preparedness. Will let you know how it goes. If the gun lives up to the praises I hear about it; I'll be checking into those night sights probably from Springfield Armory directly. Am glad to hear that many gun shops carry the mags for the XD's....mostly want 10 rnd for better concealment.

Offline rquack

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008, 05:36:42 AM »
I have also owned and carried a XD9 subcompact for about 3 years now. I also own a standard size model XD9. Together over 4K rounds thru them. They will eat anything; I've found no ammo probs. You may wish to get yourself a Pearce Grip Extension @ $9. It makes the subby MUCH easier to handle and shoot. Also, you can put 12 rounds of 9mm into a 40 cal magazine; most require no adjustment and have proven themselves 100% reliable. I have found a Don Hume H715M holster to work very well. About $25 at Pistol Gear.com. My only complaint: the gun sometimes gets a bit heavy and bulky under light clothing. But that gives me a reason to to look at the new Ruger LCS or a 32 auto for special carry situations. Good luck with your new purchase; and if you like it as much as I do mine, you'll own it for a long, long time.

Offline petepaaz

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2008, 07:56:11 PM »
...well I got it out and shot 75 rounds of WW 115FMJ w/o a hitch.....and 10 rnds of Mag-tech 115 JHP plus P...again w/o a hitch.....shoots very comfortably and I like it much more than my S&W J frame....except it doesn't fit in a pocket quite as well. Accuracy is quite good for a defensive gun......so far am very pleased with it.
....I also want to check out CCI shotshells in it. Just as I was walking to a spot here in the AZ desert to set up my target to check the XD9 out I came across a rattler in my path......since the XD9 was still an unknown to me I shot it w/my SA Mil-Spec .45ACP which I always carry in the desert w/me. I forgot my CCI shotshells in the .45 and it wound up taking 4 shots to kill that snake....it was constantly moving in and out of a weedy spot...First 2 shots nicked it...3rd missed all together....and 4th shot decapitated it.  It was expensive Speer Gold Dot ammo too...so now I'm taking a magazine w/ a mixed load.....the first 3 are shotshells.   So if I carry the XD9 in the desert it would be nice if it shoots shotshells well.

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2008, 09:46:00 AM »
  I have sold a few XD's and I never received a complaint from a customer, but I caution, I have seen Glock 27's that were junk when stressed. I remember being so busy with rental customers that when the mag would fail in the Glock 22 or 27 I would rush to the new mag rack, grab a replacement, load it up, and continue with the customer before the customer complained. Being pro-revolver, I personally would stick with the wheelgun. I never had one jam or malfunction that was not due to bad ammo(Magtech brand) And this is MANY thousands of rounds with out any cleaning with 4 different manufacturers. Just my thoughts.

Offline petepaaz

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2008, 06:54:29 PM »
....my 16 rnd maG WAS KINDA LOOSE FITTING BUT STILL WORKED WELL..... and the 10 rnd one was tight and of course worked quite well....sure hope the mag fit doesn't become a problem......I understand the reliability of wheel-guns...but I definitely shoot semi-auto pistols better....my favorite is my S.A. GI 1911....feeds everything reliably

Offline pelican717

• Trade Count: (49)
  • Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2008, 11:15:13 PM »
I am a big fan of the XD's. I have a service model that has 7-8000 rounds through it with NO problems. Can't ask for better reliability than that. I practice with Blazer 9mm aluminum  because it is the cheapest and carry gold dots or Ranger for self defense.
I tried a subcompact but it just didn't fit my hand as well as the 4". I also use a Hogue slip on grip on my 9mm and 45acp.
As for night sights. I have the TFO tritium sigths on both guns. They are bright in daylight as well as dark.
I'm sure you will love your XD subby. After about 500 rounds it really smooths out.
Enjoy!
Robert