Author Topic: 12g 3 1/2" Pardner, ok to shoot 2 3/4"?  (Read 612 times)

Offline swissfan

• Trade Count: (17)
12g 3 1/2" Pardner, ok to shoot 2 3/4"?
« on: April 02, 2008, 02:44:59 AM »
I found a 12g 3 1/2" chamber synthetic stocked Pardner and the barrel is only marked 3 1/2".  Is it ok to shoot 2 3/4" or 3" out of this?  I have a Mossberg 835 but the barrel is marked for 2 3/4", 3" or 3 1/2", didn't know if all 3 1/2" chambers were ok with the others.  TIA

Daryl

Offline plumberroy

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
Re: 12g 3 1/2" Pardner, ok to shoot 2 3/4"?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 05:05:02 AM »
First off welcome to graybeards
Yes you can shoot 2 3/4" and 3" shells in that gun .after shooting one 3 1/2"shell in that gun you will truly understand the meaning of "recoil" :o 27 10 gauge slugs from a bench doesn't bother me , a box of 338 win mag from the bench doesn't bother me my friends 416 weatherby doesn't bother me  A  3 1/2" turkey load in that  gun ##$#%^&  Kicks  :o :o
Roy
Every breath I take as a Free man was paid for with the blood of an American Soldier

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 05:25:41 AM »
I agree with Roy. The recoil is indeed fierce.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline swissfan

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 05:51:50 AM »
Thanks for the welcome and the information.  I figured that it would be okay, just wanted to verify.  I bought a Handi-Rifle from a coworker last fall for my son in 30/30 for $50.  I had to get the youth stock for it, but figured I couldn't go wrong at that price.  My son also needs a turkey gun, and I found the 12g yesterday and will probably get that for him to shoot 2 3/4" in the mean time while I am waiting on his Pardner 20g youth to come in.  I will then use the 12g. I recently found these boards and am amazed at the information here. 

Thanks again.
Daryl

P.S. I'm not planning on shooting any 3 1/2, it's bad enough out of my 835.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 07:39:05 AM »
Welcome aboard swissfan, glad to have you here with us. If you need stocks or parts consider putting up a WTT (want to trade), WTB (want to buy), or WTS (want to sell) in the classifieds. There are always extra youth stock sets around to trade for any adult set you may have or you will get great info on gutting down the set you have....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline striker525

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 08:17:15 AM »
I went with my dad to a turkey shoot a couple times and on one such occasion he won an old H&R 12 GA.  it was painted black and silver and looked terrible. I got it home stripped off the paint and found a gem. it was a full choke and a very pretty gun. Dad always warned me to shoot low brass only through it (not knowing it's age) but being the kid I knew better. a friend of mine invited me to go Pheasant hunting one day after school and I was shooting his #4 high brass. I shot three rounds through it before all the feeling drained from my right arm. LOLOL I told my Dad and he of course said BS and I handed him 4 rounds of the same as I was shooting and he didn't make it to the fourth either I laughed. someone said they kick like a mule? I can confirm his statement.