Poll

Do you think you should have to report a lost or stolen firearm?

100% Yes
100% No
Not sure?

Author Topic: Do you think you should have to report a lost or stolen firearm?  (Read 994 times)

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
Ok guys. Here is a good question. Here in Pa it went up for vote yesterday weather you have to report to the police if your hand gun was lost or stolen. It was shot down. According to Pa law now you don't have to report it. I believe that if you lose or have a hand gun stolen you should have to report it. If you don't you are a fool!!!!!! That gun is registered to you and you may end up having to explain where you were on a night 5 years ago. I have a hard time believing they turned down this bill. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline bighemidaddy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Do you think you should have to report a lost or stolen firearm?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 05:40:45 PM »
I would you just might be doing time for the crime it was done with

bighemidaddy

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 05:47:52 PM »
That is the way I feel. If you are legal why would you not report it? Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

Offline Moss88hunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 08:49:46 PM »
Why wouldn't you want to? I can't think of a reason. It would only hurt your chances of getting it back or getting questioned for a crime you didn't commit, if you didn't report it?
"It is better to be tried by twelve than carried by six!"

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 01:26:12 AM »
Ok guys. Here is a good question. Here in Pa it went up for vote yesterday weather you have to report to the police if your hand gun was lost or stolen. It was shot down. According to Pa law now you don't have to report it. I believe that if you lose or have a hand gun stolen you should have to report it. If you don't you are a fool!!!!!! That gun is registered to you and you may end up having to explain where you were on a night 5 years ago. I have a hard time believing they turned down this bill. Dale

There is no gun registration required by federal law in the United States.

Firearms sold through dealers are traceable to the original owner.

Handgun sales between individuals who are residents of the same state are unregulated.  Handgun sales between individuals who are residents of different states must go dealer to dealer and state law must be complied with.

Do you audit your handguns every day?

Personally, I'm against any such law for a variety of reasons.....

I may not know it was lost or stolen for some time, and it places a burden on the innocent who committed no other crime.  I'm glad common sense prevailed.......
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline hellacatcher

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 01:42:54 AM »
That should be your own choice not the gov. telling you what to do. Don't we have enough of being told what we can and what we can't do? I guess some just want more Gov.
from Tennessee---Paul

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 01:49:33 AM »
I guess, as usual, I read too quickly. I thought it was "should you" not "you must".  It makes good sense, in certain cases, to report it to the police for insurance purposes and (remote) possibilities of recovering the firearm(s), but to make it manditory is just a first step toward gun registration.  Kinda like having DNA files on all kids "in case they get kidnapped".
I wanna change my vote to maybe.

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 03:57:20 AM »
YEA
If things keep going the way they are i may report ALL mine LOST.
I may remember where i lost them later if need be. ::)
Rex
GOD GUNS and GUTS MADE AMERICA GREAT

Texas is good for men and dogs, but it is hell on women and horses.

Offline Old Syko

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2008, 04:04:54 AM »
I can never get over how willing some people are to give up our rights and liberties.  Less government intervention is always better than more. 

rex6666 may be on to something!   :)

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2008, 05:51:43 AM »
If you expect your insurance to cover the loss, expect the police to recover and, perhaps, return the gun to you, then it has to be reported.  In addition, I would hate to think that a firearm I lost, or someone stole was being used by some drug induced kid to shoot up another school.   This will likely occur again, but hopefully, not with MY gun.

If the gun is legal there is no valid argument for not reporting it lost or stolen.  JMHO!

Offline woodchukhntr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (108)
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2008, 06:58:14 AM »
YEA
Well, if the stolen gun is not traceable back to you, as in a private sale, then I don't see that you would have to report it, but that is mighty irresponsible to me.  But if it is traceable back to you and you don't report it stolen, then you might be liable in some manner for any crime committed with it.  Try to explain to the court that you knew it was stolen, but didn't report it.

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2008, 07:43:49 AM »
YEA
Well, if the stolen gun is not traceable back to you, as in a private sale, then I don't see that you would have to report it, but that is mighty irresponsible to me.  But if it is traceable back to you and you don't report it stolen, then you might be liable in some manner for any crime committed with it.  Try to explain to the court that you knew it was stolen, but didn't report it.
Let me explain my self
what i meant was i might report mine LOST (not stolen) and not ask the ins. co to pay (no problem their)
then if and when the time comes i might have a miraculous memory recovery and find them. ::)
Rex

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2008, 09:51:08 AM »
just another stupid law.  i will relport what i want when i want.  and if i dont want to, i wont. 

what is next?  rape victims prosecuted for not reporting a crime?   pure stupidity.
   i am with rex on  this one.  ::)

Offline flabbydan

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Contributor
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2008, 10:35:34 AM »
 ::)  ::) If my car is stolen, and a drunk (or otherwise intoxicated) moron gets behind the wheel of it, killing someone, does that make me guilty/liable for what happened?  I don't see how a stolen gun is any different.  This must be one of those "common sense" gun laws they are always trying to pass. ::)  ::)

Offline Old Syko

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2008, 10:47:11 AM »
If the gun is legal there is no valid argument for not reporting it lost or stolen.

This is the same basic statement I read in every anti gun article I ever read though usually referring to registration.  When you file a report are you not essentially registering?  This is the problem with insuring firearms to begin with.  In order to insure them you must record serials with the company.  Does anyone honestly believe these files are held confidential?   ::)

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2008, 10:58:53 AM »
I can see where a registered gun, that was stolen and used in a murder or robbery and traced
back to me, i am probably going to have to answer lots of questions, and be hassled a lot.
When the gun was stolen, if i report it to the police then when it is used they can ck and see
i reported it stolen 4 years ago so i don't have to go through the crap.
If i report that all my guns were lost then the police think i have no guns, and wont be coming looking for them. When i am shooting the bad guys that are breaking in my house and marching on the neighbor hood, i will say well i found this one, but not the others (think that will work) probably not
but it is something to think about.
Rex

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2008, 11:20:57 AM »
Depends on the wording of the bill, some can get real stupid. Like within 24 hrs. upon penalty of death or something else as stupid.
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2008, 12:30:02 PM »
Friend of mine had a nice 6-inch S&W .357 disappear at the time his soon to be X-Wife packed her bags.  He had come home to find her shooting drugs between the toes on her foot and sent her packing.

I advised him to make a police report because of her bottom-feeder ways the pistol could show up at a crime scene.  As far as I know he never made a report.  At first I thought she was holding something over his head.  But when she took out a bunch of credit cards by foraging his name on the applications he had no problem going to law enforcement and help build a case that sent her to jail.

He has no clue where that firearm will show-up.  While he is happy to be rid of her that gun could come back and bit him big time.

I wonder how many firearms have disappeared when people have split the sheets, or a co-inhabitant stole the firearm and played dumb?

Remember your finger prints might be on the firearm, and the ammunition.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2008, 02:42:47 PM »
What is with all this legalism?
If you find it is stolen you have a moral obligation too see that it gets back too the one who had it stolen----PERIOD.
If you find that you are hesitant examine yourownself. I would return it even if I lost the money I paid for it.
I have one in particular I wish I had back---it is irreplaceable as a sentimental piece---
alas.
This is not just my opinion either.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2008, 02:47:41 PM »
What is with all this legalism?
If you find it is stolen you have a moral right too see that it gets back too the one who had it stolen----PERIOD.
If you find that you are hesitant examine yourownself. I would return it even if I lost the money I paid for it.
I have one in particular I wish I had back---it is irreplaceable as a sentimental piece---
alas.
This is not just my opinion either.
Blessings
I totaly agree with you on this point. Dale

Offline bubba

• Trade Count: (62)
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2008, 03:37:20 PM »
Even if I purchased a firearm in a face to face sale and it was lost or stolen, I plan to report it. I have never purchased or sold a firearm in a personal sale without getting the persons information and sharing my information with him. If I sold that gun and the person who bought it lost it, the authorities are coming to talk to me about it not the person I sold it to. So I have all that info to tell the cops when they come knocking. I would report it either way if I lost it
”A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.”

Molon Labe

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2008, 02:52:32 AM »
I think what we are arguing about here is the vast difference between you MAY and you MUST.  I think if it were to become some sort of law, then it is the first step to gun resistration.  One of the next steps is to make the victim the criminal. If your gun is stolen, then you weren't keeping it in a truly safe place. If your gun is stolen and used to commit a crime then you are an accessory.  Sound farfetched??  What about charging Colt as an accessory to drive by shootings?? Opportunistic litigators, gun grabbers, and greedy lawyers are a volitile mix.

Offline Moss88hunter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2008, 05:09:12 AM »
No there shouldn't be a law on this. People should do this anyways, just from using common sense! I agree with rex on this one!

Evan
"It is better to be tried by twelve than carried by six!"

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2008, 07:37:49 AM »
A person that fails to report a stolen or lost fire, particularly one that was purchased legally and logged by a dealer, is nothing short of being insane.  Gun laws are not always written in favor of gun owners, and the interruption of  laws by the ATF does not always favor the gun owner.  A very good case in point is that which is describe in the March 10, 2008 "Shotgun News," titled "The Accidental Felon."  It is different in that it deals with a loaned AR-15 which the owner was legal to loan, but due to a malfunction where the gun accidentally burst into sporadic periods of automatic fire the owner was held responsible, and may eventually end up in jail.  ATF did not go after the individual shooting the gun, but went after the legal owner.

Failing to report a loss may lead to you being an "Accidental Felon, and possibly serving time behind bars if the firearm is used in the commission of a crime, or perceived to be of an illegal nature by ATF.

Reporting the gun loss is not an invasion or privacy, and in no way presents a threat to the person making the report.  If you want to be macho and not report it it is your business, but personally,  I enjoy my freedom and have no desire to spent time behind bars, but if you have the time to spend, then place yourself in the position to do jail time by refusing to report the loss.

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2008, 07:54:43 AM »
When I lived in Las Vegas, I registered my handguns as directed by the commander (I was in the Air Force then).  Six months later one got stolen, I reported it to the police.  Two years later, cops showed up at my door step, cuffed me, and we took a ride.  I was accused of murder, my gun was found with a body, it had been used to kill a man.  I told them about the theft report, they looked it up, I got released.  That report was the only thing that kept me from being booked and spending the night in jail.  If not for the report I might still be in jail.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2008, 09:52:00 AM »
would i report it if one of my guns were stolen?   so fast your head would spin.  but does it need to be a law that you need to report it if you have one stolen?   i say no.  a person can decide that for themself.   like i said before, it is just another stupid law that would do nothing other than put us under even more b.s. rules.   keep giving away your freedoms and soon enough you wont have any left.

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2008, 09:52:35 AM »
When I lived in Las Vegas, I registered my handguns as directed by the commander (I was in the Air Force then).  Six months later one got stolen, I reported it to the police.  Two years later, cops showed up at my door step, cuffed me, and we took a ride.  I was accused of murder, my gun was found with a body, it had been used to kill a man.  I told them about the theft report, they looked it up, I got released.  That report was the only thing that kept me from being booked and spending the night in jail.  If not for the report I might still be in jail.
I call that a close call. Dale