Author Topic: Experiments Against Ironclad and Fortress Armor of 2008  (Read 4009 times)

Online Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: Experiments Against Ironclad and Fortress Armor of 2008
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2008, 05:16:06 PM »
Thinking a bit more while driving across North Dakota---there are a lot of miles of nothing out there with nothing to do but hold onto the steering wheel of the U-Haul and think.

I was thinking about this subject and when I finally got a internet connection this evening I saw the replies I know that I may not have stated my logic correctly. So let me say the same thing again differently .

What I meant was if your projectille is 1/6 scale your target must be 1/6 scale.  No I don't mean if the original target was 6 foot by 6 foot you target must 1 foot by 1 foot.  I mean if the original target was 6 inches thick, your scaled target must be 1 inch thick. It can still be 6 foot by 6 foot as that axis is not relevant. Following the same logic the range should 47.5 yards.

Now to the physics.  I'm not sure you can actually duplicate the impact physics in scale. Can you achieve1/6 of  sectional density, ballistic coefficient, velocity, and gyroscoptic stablility impact values of the original at impact?  

What you want to do is find the range in which your gun gives the same results as the original test.

Here's how I would address the issue.  First compute the original 285 yard impact values for the original gun.  Then compute the range at which your 1/6 scale gun will achieve 1/6 of those same values.  Also compute the range at which your 1/6 scale gun will give the same impact velocity as the original.  Impact velocity will be the only original impact value you might be able duplicate with your gun.

Fire two tests shots at each of three ranges on two targets one on a 1/6 thick target and and an original thickness target.

Fire one shot on the 1/6 scale thick target and one shot on the the original thickness target  at the 1/6 scale range or 47.5 yards.

Fire a second test  with the same two targets at the range you computed that would give the 1/6 scale projectile the same impact velocity as the original.

Fire a third test a 285 yards.  

Should make for some interesting results.  I say that the longer the range the deeper the pentration.

By the way doesn't SAM's Club or COSTCO sell peanut butter in bulk containers.  Say two 55 gallon drums of peanut butter laid end to end...

Offline Terry C.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • I see what you did there...
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2008, 05:53:13 PM »
By the way doesn't SAM's Club or COSTCO sell peanut butter in bulk containers.  Say two 55 gallon drums of peanut butter laid end to end...

Won't we need some ballistic jelly to go with that?

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2008, 09:15:52 PM »
     Dan,    Glad you like it so far.  We think that we can do a pretty good job of comparing modern scale results to original BIG GUN results, BUT nobody should take this as a scientific study, because it is not that.  There are too many unknowns, too many things where we are forced to use quess-work and SWAGS.  You may not have that abbreviation in Sweden.  It means Scientific Wild Assed Guesses. HEY, what do you know; we DO HAVE some scientific stuff here after all!  Sorry Dan, no peanut butter testing will occur.  It all was a big joke.

gulfcoastblackpowder,     We sure will do a few fun tests in between serious ones.  We have always wondered if those lexan sheets are bullet-proof.  Ballistic gel?  These big non-deforming bolts will blow through 20 feet of that stuff without slowing down; besides it's expensive in large quantities.  Kevlar, maybe, we'll see.  We will get plenty of data on the carefully prepared shots, don't worry. 

Lance,    The next step is making an authentic iron armor target as close to CSN Commander Brooke's that he used in the winter of '63 just south of Richmond on the south-west bank of the James River.  If you want a good book on this experiment and many others conducted by this talented ordnance designer, order a copy of George M. Brooke, Jr's. Ironclads and Big Guns of the Confederacy, the Journal and letters of John Mercer Brooke".    Let your imagination run wild; that ironclad target sounds like a good one.  Better make it a Union Monitor or maybe a New Ironsides since we will have the 7" Brooke there this year.  Mike says, "Tell him it better have a stack belching black smoke or I won't let him play with my toys this year."   ;D ;D I think he is getting psyched already! 

Mike/Tracy -

Good thinking.  You've outlined the starting premises and drawn your expectations of parallels to full scale.  The results will either duplicate or not the observed results of what was achieved at full scale many moons ago.  From that comparison you can draw conclusions to the accuracy of your 'design of experiment'.

In addition, you can compare the effects (in small scale) of different velocities on a give target/angle of incidence.

These observations, obviously, would lend some insight to the effects on similar steels with similarly shaped projectiles of what-ever scales - by comparison of your results with known results published in yester-year.

Thanks for your taking the time and effort for this research!

Tim,    Thank you for that statement, "The results will either duplicate or not the observed results of what was achieved at full scale many moons ago."  This is the very essence of what this project is all about.  We must be careful to report and photograph exactly what happens and not presume to know or report what should have happened. 

As we must approximate some of the materials used in these tests, we must likewise expect only approximate results.  I hope we will clearly see some parallels with the 1860s results, but we cannot honestly expect anything specific.  We expect it will take about 3 weeks or so to build the targets and make the bolts.  What do you think will more accurately approximate forged wrought iron bolts, 12L14 Ledloy or fully annealed 1018??  We need some help with this question.  Do we have any metallurgists out there?

When we do the smooth bore 42 pdr., 8" and 11" and 100 Pdr. Parrott testing we will have an opportunity to do the CSS Virginia type 35 deg. angled casemate testing at various  different ranges.  We will have to buy some stout lexan barriers to protect ourselves during those round shot tests.  They will be thicker than what those boys on Mythbusters use, for sure!!  Thanks for those well reasoned comments, Tim.  Tell Lance he better make that Monitor half scale so we can hit it when it's underway.   ;D ;D

Double D,     We want you to promise us that you will drive really carefully.  Traveling cross country like you are leaves you WAY TOO MUCH TIME to think about things for US TO ACCOMPLISH!!  WE want you to arrive at the new homestead and have plenty to do.  ;D ;D  Seriously though, we certainly appreciate your comments and all the others which are extremely helpful. 

I saw the replies I know that I may not have stated my logic correctly. So let me say the same thing again differently.  What I meant was if your projectile is 1/6 scale your target must be 1/6 scale.  No I don't mean if the original target was 6 foot by 6 foot you target must 1 foot by 1 foot.  I mean if the original target was 6 inches thick, your scaled target must be 1 inch thick. It can still be 6 foot by 6 foot as that axis is not relevant. Following the same logic the range should 47.5 yards.

First of all, I think we are ready to get to the semi-serious experiments.  Remember these are not scientific tests, because the exact values of the original external ballistics are generally not known.  What we know for sure, like Brooke's test of the Treble-Banded 7" being 285 yards from gun to target and the target being 8" thick and made of wrought iron and backed by a mound of clay dirt, we will use.   For conditions that are unknown, we will use the most logical methods, ranges and materials that we can.  The original was 8" thk. and composed of four, 2" thk. plates.  Until we can get the correct, wrought iron material, we will use pieces of structural steel, such as 6" and 8" to make our 1/6 scale thk. plates, (.333")(4)=1.333"  The range, we are pretty sure must be adjusted to make sure that the velocity of the original bolt at 285 yards is the same as ours is at some calculated lesser range.  Maybe 47.5 yds., maybe 71.25 yds.  If anyone knows of an exterior ballistics program that will allow input of the original 120 lb. projectile data, please let us know.  We need to know what the big bolt's velocity was at 285 yards given a muzzle velocity of 1,300 fps.  The ballistic coefficient would help too.

Now to the physics.  I'm not sure you can actually duplicate the impact physics in scale. Can you achieve 1/6 of sectional density, ballistic coefficient, velocity, and gyroscoptic stablility impact values of the original at impact? 

At first we didn't think we could do these, but now we believe they are possible.  Our bolt's material, length and dia., ogive and base, (milled base groove forming the skirt) will all be in EXACT proportion so the SD,and the BC should be to scale.  Velocity will be authentic and measured with a protected chronograph at the muzzle and maybe at the mid-range targets if we can place landscape timbers and heavy steel plates a few feet in front of it.  Gyroscopic stability has been achieved based on full power accuracy loads which we have already developed.  Rifling twist is 1/6 scale of the original and works fine.   

What you want to do is find the range in which your gun gives the same results as the original test.

This is a key and very important goal of all of these experiments!  We are as sure as we are about any of these factors, that having the same velocities at the targets of both original and scale bolts and the resulting proportional energies, is very critical to achieving a proportional impact result on the scale target.

Here's how I would address the issue.  First compute the original 285 yard impact values for the original gun.  Then compute the range at which your 1/6 scale gun will achieve 1/6 of those same values.  Also compute the range at which your 1/6 scale gun will give the same impact velocity as the original.  Impact velocity will be the only original impact value you might be able duplicate with your gun.

The first part can be a description of the effect of the 120 lb. bolt on the target, (i.e., how many plates holed, how many broken or cracked, extent of cracks, etc.) The second two items are related by the velocity factor and can be done.  The last point will not be known until this experiment is actually finished.

Fire two tests shots at each of three ranges on two targets one on a 1/6 thick target and and an original thickness target.

Fire one shot on the 1/6 scale thick target and one shot on the the original thickness target  at the 1/6 scale range or 47.5 yards.

Fire a second test  with the same two targets at the range you computed that would give the 1/6 scale projectile the same impact velocity as the original.

Fire a third test a 285 yards. 

Should make for some interesting results.  I say that the longer the range the deeper the pentration.

[/color]
[/size]
The first two need to be simplified and why the original thickness target?  8" thick??   12" x12" x 8" thk.  Whoah Nelly!!  Are you going to come down here are help us hoist this Young Giant up the hill?  New rules on National Grassland in Colorado expressly prohibit ANY vehicle from going off marked roads more than just to park the vehicle safely out of the roadway.  We will haul scale targets and other light weight equipment only out to the farther ranges.  We can do the second test with a scale target and the third would be no problem.  No comments on peanut butter; I may have said too much already, but you know how he dislikes those Smilie faces, so I relied on his obvious intelligence to realize all that stuff about the peanut butter torpedo target was merely a joke.  Hope so.

Terry C.     Peanut Butter Armor and Ballistic Jelly!  I must be getting punchy because it's getting late or too darn serious for my own good.  I had to read that four times before I got it. Now how bad is that? I better turn in now.  Good one, Terry!

Regards,
 Tracy and Mike
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Online Double D

« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2008, 02:00:57 AM »
Original thickness targets for the same reason you need whole wheat with peanut butter strawberry ballistic jelly...it' healthy.

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2008, 03:01:12 AM »
As you probably expected I've been burning the midnight oil (peanut oil of course) designing the peanut butter ballistic resistance test.  It turns out in order to have a comprehensive result, we'll need to do both a chunky and a smooth peanut butter series of test shots.  To be absolutely sure we should do at least 3 different brands too but I think one brand should give statistically significant findings.  And we don't want to get too messy here.

I think we should go with 1-gallon restaurant-size cans or plastic jars.  Glass is out. That way we could open the can at both ends and line up cans end to end, avoiding the need to repackage the stuff prior to the test.

I think just for good measure, the aiming target on the front of the first can of PB should be a piece of white "Wonderbread" if they still make that stuff.  The bullseye could be drawn on with a magic marker, or maybe a teaspoon-full of grape jelly.  We should be careful to make sure we don't go past the "best if used by" date on the bread because Wonderbread becomes much more ballistically resistant after that date.

I'm not sure how to include the jelly if at all, that's giving me some real headaches.  Then we have to decide what flavor of jelly to use, not to mention what brand.  Does Smuckers still make jelly?

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2008, 06:50:34 AM »

Sorry Dan, no peanut butter testing will occur.  It all was a big joke.

Darn!!! :-[  I was planning to set up two 4x8 sheets of plywood on either side of the experiment with slices of
bread stapled to it! lunch of peanut butter & Strawberry Ballistic jelly to be served at the conclusion of the experiment
this could bring an entirely new meaning to Fast Food! ;D

Allen <><
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline gulfcoastblackpowder

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2008, 11:11:58 AM »
There's no better way to spread PB&J than with a 2# slug!

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2008, 12:42:05 PM »
that's perfect , then I don't need to bring an lunch box   ;D ;D ;D

but its an long trip for me from Sweden to the states just to have an free peanut butter sandwich   :o

couldn't we do it a little more interesting ???

lets make an bet , all spectators must put $20 and guess how many spectators that laugh them self to death because of the peanut butter test . the winner will have $40 back and the rest will go to gbo forum   ;D ;D ;D

but to have that legal maybe the test firing must be in Nevada , I'm not so good at the American laws  ??? ???
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2008, 01:28:00 PM »
Sorry Dan, no peanut butter testing will occur.
>:(

Oooooooooh Noooooooooo!  After all that planning!  I was just starting to work out the probable effects of temperature and barometric pressure variations on the PB!  Maybe we'll so some here, I'm sure our you-tubers will like it.

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2008, 01:36:37 PM »
     Several people have asked us off line for an explanation of that other big dent or gouge in the ultimate proof load target plate.  Some of you, who have seen the impact test photo gallery on our web site under the menu "Shooting", probably know how that .712 deep gouge got there.  Two years ago we did a maximum proof test of the last prototype, completely machined, 1/6 scale, 100 Pdr. Parrott Rifle that we made.  The photos below tell the story.

The Parrott bolt proof test gouge to the left and a little below the Brooke bolt lodged in the 1" thick boiler plate.

The 100 pdr. Parrott proof load projectile, front row, left is a composite bolt of 12.5 oz. and made of a 12L14, Ledloy carrier of 1.067" dia. and a 1.500" long hardened 0-1 Tool Steel penetrator which was .750 dia.   A lot of energy resulting from this mass going about 1,500 fps ahead of 975 grs. of BP was wasted by both metal masses changing form as much as they did.  Depth of penetration suffered because of this.

The 12L14 ledloy carrier "banana peeled" spectacularly as you can see using up a portion of the energy available for penetration and likewise with the 0-1 hardened core "penetrator" which was not hardened nearly enough.  Two propane torches just won't cut it!!  Now we have an Ebay heat-treat furnace, so we can do the hardening and tempering correctly.

If any of this is not clear, ask for more info.  Glad to help out.

Regards,

Tracy and Mike

Offline Terry C.

• I see what you did there...
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2008, 01:45:32 PM »
Edited to add: T&M, I was wondering about that center dent myself. Thanks for the clarification.

And now back to my original silly post:

---------------------
I can see it now...

The Great Peanut Butter Challenge!

Who can achieve the most original and dramatic effect firing projectiles into peanut butter?

Photos (and video if possible) essential.

Jelly optional.

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2008, 02:35:39 PM »
lets make an bet , all spectators must put $20 and guess how many spectators that laugh them self to death because of the peanut butter test . the winner will have $40 back and the rest will go to gbo forum   ;D ;D ;D

but to have that legal maybe the test firing must be in Nevada , I'm not so good at the American laws  ??? ???
Can't do Nevada - they have harsh penalties for destruction of peanut butter!

The main thing to be careful of with peanut butter is to not use the "all natural" varieties, as they often have separation of the oils from the solids, which could impact the results.  As far as scientific accuracy, I'd also recommend staying away from crunchy varieties, since they are non homogeneous mixtures.  An added benefit to the creamy butter is the impact rings should be nicely symmetrical, and you'd have very good splatter.

Something that hasn't been mentioned yet, is the option of combining peanut butter with other targets.  I have been an unfortunate witness to someone foolishly putting a banana down the barrel of a cannon and the muck that ensued (seriously, NEVER try to shoot anything that has no place being used as a projectile!  Fortunately the person that did it owned the cannon), but peanut butter and bananas as targets could make for spectacular video footage!  Maybe even a setup a bowl of chocolate in the path of the slug, so it could cover the peanut butter and bananas...

A new idea!  Cannon fondue!  Yes, all sorts of craziness is going on in this disturbed head of mine right now.

Having just lost any credibility I had here, I think I need to quickly change the subject...

Shooting at blocks of ice, or into a pool of water (could be tricky to rig) and measuring the travel could be interesting.  Another possibility would be cardboard (not a single ply, but a bundle of boxes).

Offline lance

« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2008, 03:16:20 PM »
Mike and Tracy,Tim, I plan to build the target so it moves on land. Nothing too fancy,i'll use up some of the old rusty roof tin i have. I think the distance should be close enough to see any holes that get put in it, and also allow us to see the belching smoke! What distance do you think would be best? Really don't matter to me if the target moves or not, the most important thing is that Mike can see smoke coming out of the smokestack! I have a feeling this New River Valley Shoot will be fun for everyone!!!!
PALADIN had a gun.....I have guns, mortars, and cannons!

Offline Div Arty

• Avid Poster
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2008, 05:20:51 PM »

Lance      Let me understand this correctly?   You couldn't hold  pie plates up on a 300 yd. range.  So now they want you to drag a 1/2 scale model of the Monitor across the fields of Virginia at the end of a short line.   (In front of cannon)     WOW!!

Ron

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2008, 08:34:06 PM »
So now they want you to drag a 1/2 scale model of the Monitor across the fields of Virginia...

HALF SCALE???  That would be a challenge if it floated, let alone across the land, even with a 4WD vehicle.   ;D

Original dimensions:
Length--172'
Beam--41'6"
Displacement--approx 800 tons
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2008, 10:28:55 PM »
Even 1/6 would be a fair bit of a challenge.  I think I'd forgotten how impressive the Iron Clads were.  They were pretty massive.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2008, 01:18:16 AM »
So now they want you to drag a 1/2 scale model of the Monitor across the fields of Virginia...

HALF SCALE???  That would be a challenge if it floated, let alone across the land, even with a 4WD vehicle.   ;D

What about a mule?

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2008, 05:12:14 AM »
You could grease the skids with creamy peanut butter and grape jelly. ;D ;D ;D
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2008, 08:14:01 AM »
     George et all,  do we ever write something without a reason?  Very rarely, so when we asked Lance to make that Federal Monitor half-scale, there must have been a reason, right?  This is the reason:  At an average forward speed of 6 mph, you must time your shot within one-half second at 200 yards to hit the 4.5 foot wide "gun port zone", calculated thusly:  The approx. 11' turret width cannot be pierced except in the relatively perpendicular to your gun's bore axis," gun port zone".  The reason the timing has to be accurate to within one-half second is this:  6 mph = 31,680' per hr., calc.(6 X 5,280'), so the number of feet to pass in front of the gun would be 528' in one minute, (31,680'/60) or  8.8 feet per second, (528'/60). So with the "gun port zone" of 4.5 feet passing your gun's bore axis at the rate of 8.8 feet in one second, you can now see the logic for the one-half second timing AND larger target!    ;D ;D

Besides, Lance is an expert woodworker and we are confident that he can learn to be a shipwright in short order.  Despite being an ironclad, the volume of material on those Monitors was 70% wood.  So the weight would not be nearly as much as you would expect.  It would have a hefty displacement of  100 tons, but that's the weight of the water displaced, not the weight of hull, deck and turret.  Those items would weigh only about 20 to 25 tons.  I bet he has a powerful tractor and a strong trailer, so hauling this should be no real problem!   ;D ;D

O.K., you may now continue the food fight.

Regards,

Mike and Tracy

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2008, 08:33:39 AM »
grease the skids

Reminds me of when "we"  moved a 14" Navy railway gun back about 1990, from Dahlgren VA to the Washington Navy Yard.  I was an unpaid, self-appointed  "supervisor."  It took two days to get it off the barge at the destination, and onto a platform with a short section of tracks that had been put there for that purpose.  The estimated weight was about 200 tons.  The gun was moved off the barge sideways on a pair of special steel tracks made for moving stuff.  The tracks had linear cogs built into the sides of them so small porta-power jacks could push on the "shoes" under the load, and against the cogs.  I noticed the moving crew using STP oil treatment to lubricate between the steel shoe and the track.

The movers became convinced I was the government supervisor even though I never said a word to them, and when they were done they brought their invoice to me to sign, and I had to inform them I was not authorized to do that for their contract.  Now that I think about it, that would be quite a souvenir, a copy of their invoice for moving the gun, with my signature on it!  I would have gotten a nasty letter from my bosses in my record to go along with it though so I'm glad I didn't. 

I took lots of pictues and some day I'll get time to digitize them and post some here.

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #50 on: April 10, 2008, 09:07:18 AM »
Lance meet me at the Mariners Museum they have a full size replica sitting outside, we could put wheels on it and
"borrow it for the week end...... they won't miss it for a day or two...... and we will put it back...............
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #51 on: April 10, 2008, 10:40:25 AM »
Yeah, they won't miss it for a day or two; but, they might not appreciate getting it back with some holes in it. :o
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline lance

« Reply #52 on: April 10, 2008, 04:24:23 PM »
 I do believe this is one of the Best and Most Fun Topics Ever!!!!   You guys that are shooting at the model............Will just have to settle for what i build, and be Happy with it!       KARBAR2, don't tell anyone but this surprise for a  model, will fit in the back of my pickup,i could use your help unloading and setting it up. All i will say is that Mike and Tracy might need friction primers,kinda be a shame if they light a fuse and it moves!

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2008, 01:48:16 AM »
If it's loaded in the truck that's good enough!

Just put it in granny low and putter along the target line - Mike and Tracy are GOOD!

Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #54 on: April 11, 2008, 04:36:53 AM »
 ::) ::)
Yeah, they won't miss it for a day or two; but, they might not appreciate getting it back with some holes in it. :o

Hey a little bondo and some black paint will work wonders ::) ........Or maybe it could be atributed to a new breed of metal eating termite.....  ::)

Lance, I'll be glad to hep unload what ever you've concocted

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #55 on: April 11, 2008, 06:48:12 AM »
     First of all, we want to thank John (cannonmn) Morris for posting that brief description of the off loading of the 14" Railway Gun at the Washington Navy Yard.  This is exactly the type of thing that Mike and I love to read about.  It reminds us a lot of the recovery by Adolphus and James La Coste of the two 11" Dahlgren guns from the wreck of the Federal Ironclad Keokuk in late April of 1863 under the guns of the Federal Fleet in the Charleston, SC outer harbor area.  John, please find the time to digitize some of your best photos of this adventure and post them.  We saw that huge RR gun in 2004 and we just can't imagine what it must have been like to off load it from a barge!  Great story!

Div Arty,  Don't worry Ron, we will convince Lance to use a trailer and 100 feet of logging chain.  I mean, we're good, but maybe not that good!  Hope his life insurance is paid up.

Come on Tim, we appreciate the vote of confidence, but really, your supposed to be Lance's friend, now go and find some logging chain and tell him when you've found it.  It will help him sleep better!

Lance and KABAR2, we are glad you two will be teaming up in this effort to produce and deliver a truly unique target!  And yes Lance, we are having a good time with this thread as well.  PLUS, we have an announcement:  We will be making the 7" Brooke 260 yard target out of completely authentic, Wrought Iron imported from the United Kingdom.  This stuff ain't Cheap!  But, we figured , for just this one, we could spend some bucks and do it right.  The bolt will be made of wrought iron as well, just like the original. 

That's about it, back to the shop!

Tracy and Mike

Online Double D

« Reply #56 on: April 12, 2008, 05:32:27 AM »
Guys just make sure we aren't drifting to far...the peanut butter and jelly experiment would be interesting, but lets not forget that M&T are realy working to to see if they can duplicate in scale the oriignal test on period armor.   So lets focus a bit more on original materials used for the actual test. 

M&T now that I have slapped these guys back in line you owe me  You  can buy me and the wife dinner, and I don't mean no peanut butter and jelly sandwich either...a franchised eatery would be fine...say Outback Steakhouse.

As to the 7 inch plate.  Do understand the logistics.  But also think about it.  Does your gun have the accuracy to hit a 1 foot square at 285 yards? You have to try it one time.

And, I think I might know where a couple 5 gallon cans of peanut butter from and old Civil Defense shelter might be.

Online Double D

« Reply #57 on: April 13, 2008, 06:19:55 PM »
Any further peanut butter discussion in this topic will be deleted with predjudice

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #58 on: April 14, 2008, 01:19:42 AM »
Any further peanut butter discussion in this topic will be deleted with predjudice

WOW!  That's serious.  NOT EVEN A SMILEY???   :o
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline lance

« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2008, 01:26:07 PM »
Mike and Tracy, HAY is another historical example you can add to your list. How about instead of you going to all the trouble to make scale hay bales, we use some of my hay? I wouldn't mind laying out a long line of hay bales for you to shoot.Then we could take a metal detector and find your projectile,and measure how many feet of hay it takes to stop your gun.Here's a pic of how Hay was used to get past Vicksburg: