Author Topic: 20 or 12  (Read 500 times)

Offline Specklebelly

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
20 or 12
« on: April 04, 2008, 02:49:05 PM »
I shot my 12 gauge pardner a few weeks ago with a slug in it.  I just had a parnder with a modified barrel.  I have never done that before as I always hunt big game with a rifle.

Needless to say, I was QUITE surprised by the recoil.  I shot an elk a few years ago with a 30-06 bolt action. 180 grain and it kicked nothing like that 12 gauge. 

Anyway, I have a little extra in the bank this month and am going to get a slug barrel and have a few questions:

How is the recoil on a 20 compared to the 12?
Can a 20 be used for deer?
What is the lethal range for 12 and 20?
Which do you recommend?

As always, thx.
Specklebelly

Romans 5:8
Mark 12:28-31

Offline bearbeater

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: 20 or 12
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2008, 05:33:17 PM »
Hey
I have a 20 and 12. I prefer the 20 uhs or tracker ll for bigger stuff I use the 12. Your preferance but the 20 is less brutal inthe recoil dept. hope this helps
Bearbeater
Thats the ups and downs of Aviation

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
Re: 20 or 12
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 05:47:26 PM »
You have a couple of options...Here is what I would do. 

I would send that receiver, stock and forend back to H&R and have them install a 20GA USH barrel.  But, you would have to mount a scope as the USH does not come with sites.

If you want a 12GA, I would opt for a Tracker II with rifle sites.  You cannot mount a 12GA USH heavy barrel on a SB1 shotgun frame.  But, H&R just came out with a Ultra Light Slug Hunter...That 12GA will fit an SB1 shotgun frame.  I do not see it listed on the accessory barrel page yet.  You may have to call for that one.

As far as effective range, I have heard of guys taking shots at 125 yards with both a 12 and a 20 with success.  I have not had an opportunity to shoot that far and the farthest I have shot while hunting targets is 100 yards...I wouldn't stretch myself much beyond that.  But, that is me and not the gun as the limiting factor.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense