Author Topic: boycott absolut vodka  (Read 1156 times)

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
boycott absolut vodka
« on: April 05, 2008, 03:34:06 AM »
Mexico reconquers California? Absolut drinks to that!
The latest advertising campaign in Mexico from Swedish vodka maker Absolut promises to push all the right buttons south of the U.S. border, but it could ruffle a few feathers in El Norte.

The billboard and press campaign, created by advertising agency Teran\TBWA  and now running in Mexico, is a colorful map depicting what the Americas might look like in an "Absolut" -- i.e., perfect -- world.

The U.S.-Mexico border lies where it was before the Mexican-American war of 1848 when California, as we now know it, was Mexican territory and known as Alta California.

Following the war, the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo saw the Mexican territories of Alta California and Santa Fé de Nuevo México ceded to the United States to become modern-day California, Texas, New Mexico, Utah, Colorado and Arizona. (Texas actually split from Mexico several years earlier to form a breakaway republic, and was voluntarily annexed by the United States in 1846.)

The campaign taps into the national pride of Mexicans, according to Favio Ucedo, creative director of leading Latino advertising agency Grupo Gallegos in the U.S.

Ucedo, who is from Argentina, said: “Mexicans talk about how the Americans stole their land, so this is their way of reclaiming it. It’s very relevant and the Mexicans will love the idea.”

But he said that were the campaign to run in the United States, it might fall flat.

“Many people aren’t going to understand it here. Americans in the East and the North or in the center of the county -- I don’t know if they know much about the history.

“Probably Americans in Texas and California understand perfectly and I don’t know how they’d take it.”

Meanwhile, the campaign has been circulating on the blogs and generating strong responses from people north of the border.

“I find this ad deeply offensive, and needlessly divisive. I will now make a point of drinking other brands. And 'vodka and tonic' is my drink,” said one visitor, called New Yorker, on MexicoReporter.com.

Reader Paul Green goes into a discussion on the blog Gateway Pundit of whether the U.S. territories ever belonged to Mexico in the first place, and the News12 Long island site invited people to boycott Absolut, with one user, called LivingSmall, writing: “If you drink Absolut vodka, you can voice your approval or disapproval of this advertising campaign with your purchases. I know I will be switching to Grey Goose or Stoli and will never have another bottle of Absolut in my house.

“Hey Absolut ... that's my form of social commentary.”

-- Deborah Bonello and Reed Johnson in Mexico City

GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
Re: boycott absolut vodka
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2008, 03:47:21 AM »
I don't know. Maybe we should give California back.:)

Offline flabbydan

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2008, 03:49:49 AM »
I was thinking the same thing!!  :D

Offline sdb777

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2008, 03:51:02 AM »

I'm with you on this one!

Scott (buyin' a bottle tonight) B
Custom Cartridge pens available.....

Offline Moss88hunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2008, 06:38:35 AM »
I'm with y'all give it back! Haha

Evan
"It is better to be tried by twelve than carried by six!"

Offline canon6

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (119)
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2008, 07:06:11 AM »
I do not want them to give it back,  where I live would then  be border country ,on two sides ::)    Doug
a armed man is his own master

Offline zombiewolf

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2008, 09:25:13 AM »
Absolute is not Swedish anymore, it was sold to Pernod, a French company!

http://money.aol.com/news/articles/_a/absolut-vodka-maker-sold-for-89-billion/20080331072009990001

Offline tn_junk

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • A Real Regular
  • Look to Him
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2008, 10:13:05 AM »
Absolute is not Swedish anymore, it was sold to Pernod, a French company!

That explains a lot.

alan
Common Sense Ain't Very Common

Deceased May 20, 2009.  RIP Alan we miss you.

Offline Hairtrigger

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2008, 04:57:52 PM »
I will boycott Absolute vodka... after all I did give up fish for lent

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2008, 02:24:36 AM »
Seldom ever touch the stuff anyway.......sounds like a good plan to me!  Count me in!
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2008, 02:40:05 AM »
Since I don't drink any alcoholic beverages of any type I've already been boycotting them for years. You guys are late getting on the band wagon.  ;D

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Chilachuck

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2008, 04:17:06 AM »
So, how about a map of Europe from WWII, when German territory was at it's maximum? Or from the Roman era when Italy ruled most of what is now France?

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2008, 08:58:05 AM »

SECOND THAT MOTION
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten

Offline ms

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2008, 09:59:46 AM »
I'm drinking right now!

Offline Hairtrigger

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2008, 10:15:20 AM »
I'm drinking right now!

That's ok
At some time some one wanted you to boycott the store you bought it from, the gas station you purchased gas from on the way home, the maker of the fridge that you made your ice in... and on and on and on............

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2008, 10:53:56 AM »
Still say we need to annex Mexico and get it over with.  The beach areas would make great retirement communities for us boomers.  All the illegals would become citizens and have to get their own social security numbers, and pay into the system.  And they no longer would be sending money outside the country.  Our director of education would take over their school system and teach them English.  Our southern border would be much smaller and easier to secure.

But till then I'll join this boycott.  I'm a Vodka drinker.

If we don't take them over they will take us over.  Ha!  What gives with all these Mexican adds here on Graybeard?  See what I mean!   
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2008, 11:28:29 AM »
Google ads are targeted to the subjects being discussed on the page. Talk about Mexico or Mexicans and that's the ads you get. Talk about muzlims and that's the kinda ads you get. You the posters determine what ads Google shows by the topics you discuss.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Moss88hunter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2008, 09:32:38 PM »
Wow, Sourdough has the best idea yet. I don't like vodka anyways...gives me a headache the next day even after one sip, so I will join the boycott.

Evan
"It is better to be tried by twelve than carried by six!"

Offline Cowpox

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2008, 02:22:18 AM »
Just boycotting Absolut is a small part of it. Pernod Ricard bought Absolut from the Swedes about a year ago.  They have now apologized for their ad campaign in Mexico, and no wonder. The USA is the largest market for Absolut, amounting to over 40% of imported vodka. Over 73 MILLION liters per year !!!  However, just to name a few more Pernod Ricard liquor products in America, Black Bush Irish and all other Bushmill products, Chevas Regal, Jacobs Creek, Royal Canadian, Wild Turkey, Seagrams,Etc.

This site has a complete list of Pernod Ricard liquor and wine products (and other French owned products). Scroll to the bottom of the list, and there is a large paragraph of Pernod Ricard owned liquors, in fine print. Take a look and see if your brand is listed.

http://redmeatblog.com/archives/2005/02/boycott_french.html
I rode with him,---------I got no complaints. ---------Cowpox

Offline zombiewolf

• Avid Poster
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2008, 12:36:48 PM »

Wild Turkey?

Socre blu!

Offline Chilachuck

• A Real Regular
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2008, 05:51:03 AM »
Uh-huh. And we have all these claims that Americans are insensitive to local customs and issues, and the "oh-so-cosmopolitan" French go and pull something like this?

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2008, 02:40:39 PM »
I don't use alcohol..so I can't very well boycott.  But those who are better hurry..according to     www.worldnetdaily.com   the next series of ads is going to feature the joys of homosexuality and press for "gay marriage "..

Now, you will have to go to the world Net Daily site and do0 a site search for   absolut
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2008, 04:49:51 AM »
I don't use alcohol, makes me break out in spots, Austin, San Antonio, Galveston, Denver and
so on.
MOTEL 6 whoda thunkit
whats a poor hunter and fisherman to do now. ::) :'(
Rex
GOD GUNS and GUTS MADE AMERICA GREAT

Texas is good for men and dogs, but it is hell on women and horses.