All things equal, would you rather...

Build it all yourself
11 (55%)
Buy the basics, build the rest
4 (20%)
Buy it ready to shoot
5 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Author Topic: Build or buy, your preference?  (Read 2166 times)

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Build or buy, your preference?
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2008, 08:39:29 AM »
KABAR2 ..., Nice looking swivel you got there !

Thanks, But it was sold in 2001, it resides somewhere in North Carolinia I use to use it when I did Revolutionary War Re-enacting mainly
small fort situations stick a post in the ground and make it go Bang! and I didn't need a trailer, I also had a German Wall gun it was 6ft long rifled 75 cal. weighed in at around 30 pounds, looked like a scaled up Yeager rifle![/color]
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline nchokie

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2008, 10:29:40 AM »
I guess I'm the guy from Carolina that has the swivel gun??I bought it at the Baltimore Gun Show right in the 2001-2002 time frame.Would that be the one?
Do you know any history on the piece??ie who made it and when.
Mine is identical to the one in your photo except that it has a ring support for the barrel that also enclose the two piece trunions [swivel]

Offline nchokie

« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2008, 10:31:17 AM »
Sorry couldn't figure out how to attach a photo..

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2008, 03:46:44 PM »
nchokie -

WELCOME to the board!

Look under the ">Additional Options - at the bottom left.

There is a place where you can attach a picture, or another or another.  (Use "Browse" to find it )

We'd love to see some pictures of fire and smoke too!

VT 'eh?
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Terry C.

• I see what you did there...
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2008, 06:02:15 PM »
Interesting results and discussion so far...

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that my most prized cannon/mortar related items were neither built nor bought, but were gifts from other members. These have a value that is immeasurable.

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2008, 03:52:22 PM »
I guess I'm the guy from Carolina that has the swivel gun??I bought it at the Baltimore Gun Show right in the 2001-2002 time frame.Would that be the one?
Do you know any history on the piece??ie who made it and when.
Mine is identical to the one in your photo except that it has a ring support for the barrel that also enclose the two piece trunions [swivel]

I sold mine in North Carolina, to another dealer from down in that neck of the woods, I never had the ring with mine, I have seen one other at the museum at Ft Lee NJ
it had the ring, these were made either in NY or Conn. I believe in the 1970's I was told who had made them years back but I don't recall who it was now, if I come across another one I would buy it they are a handy little gun. and they display well too!
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline JeffG

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2008, 08:18:01 AM »
I  was of the "buy the barrel and do everything else myself" mindset.  Then I saw Dom's work.  I will, (and am going to) shell out for that kind of quality.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff