All things equal, would you rather...

Build it all yourself
11 (55%)
Buy the basics, build the rest
4 (20%)
Buy it ready to shoot
5 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Author Topic: Build or buy, your preference?  (Read 2171 times)

Offline Terry C.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • I see what you did there...
Build or buy, your preference?
« on: April 05, 2008, 04:47:46 AM »
I'm kinda weird. I will often build something myself even if it saves me no money, or ends up costing more than it would if I bought it.

I'm getting better (or else I'm just getting lazier) but still I get these nagging urges to make something. Anything. Even if I lose money in the deal.

Most other people I meet would gladly pay someone else, rather than do it themselves. Often this is a good thing, there are are essential skills to learn and expensive tools to buy. Maybe too much for a what could be a one-time project.

So let's level the playing field.

Hypothetically, you want a small mortar. You have the skills and access to the materials, equipment and tools. All costs (including your own labor) will be even for all choices. I know that's oversimplifying, but we can shake out the rats later.

Do you buy it, or build it?

The choices are:

Build everything you possibly can build yourself. This is the choice for the diehard tinkerer. You have access to any raw material you will need. Nothing pre-made is bought, save for fasteners.

Buy the basics and build the rest. This is how I made my Napoleon, because I didn't have access to a lathe that would bore such a deep hole. But we're taking that off the table, you have access to any equipment you would need, the choice is whether or not to use it.

Buy it ready to shoot. It's costing you no more than it would to build, so let someone else do all the hard work. You don't want to make chips, you want to make smoke!

Those are the choices, so what say all?

Offline Evil Dog

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Build or buy, your preference?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2008, 05:43:48 AM »
I generally buy the basics and make the rest myself..... primarily because I just cant AFFORD to buy ready-made for most of what I want.
Evil Dog

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Freedom is a well-armed lamb contesting that vote. - Benjamin Franklin (1759)

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2008, 06:03:45 AM »
OK, I know I MAY be different than most ...

a) "BUY" is a four letter word.

b) I built a shop, put in a lathe and milling machine because $40 was TO MUCH to pay for a new bullet mould.

c) Some things you just CAN'T buy.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2008, 06:35:10 AM »
If I had the skills and access to the materials, equipment and tool and all
costs (including my own labor); I would build my own.

In real life I don't have any skills nor do I have access to materials, tools or
equipment; so everything I have I buy. I can't saw a straight line with
a power saw; so building something like a mortar is out of the question.
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2008, 09:17:25 AM »
I build those thing with in my skill level and buy those that are not.  I also buy, when I can afford it other peoples work that appeals to me.

Offline accuratemike

• Avid Poster
    • http://www.accuratepower.com
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2008, 09:46:07 AM »
This one is easy for me. (SUPER) Diehard tinkerer. Sometimes I save money. Usually I spend money on the tools (and time learning the skills to use them) to do things that were (at the time) outside the realm of what I was capable of doing. As the tools and skills keep increasing, subsequent forays get less expensive. I can't help myself. I feel like I can learn and do anything. I am surrounded (at this minute actually) by some half finished projects. I wish days were 48 hours. I might be surrounded by three quarter finished projects instead. I do get some things done, and the pride in having done them far outstrips what I would have if I simply bought them. Plus, I march to a different drummer sometimes. Not afraid to re-invent the wheel occasionally. If/when these things work, I get REAL warm and fuzzy inside. MIKE

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2008, 10:10:39 AM »
My mechanical skills like my computer skills are about as advanced as your average rock or maybe I should say your average stone age man.  :o Were I interested in cannons which I barely am I'd buy it already completed. My interest however does not lie in firing cannons but I do like the looks and would like to have more of the tiny ones that fit onto a shelf just to have to look at and nothing more. I've not fired one since the days of dropping a marble down a length of water pipe and propelling it with a black cat firecracker.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline gulfcoastblackpowder

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2008, 12:35:11 PM »
Ideally, I'd like to build everything, but realistically, the cost of equipment and materials is usually a deterrent.  I'm also pretty lazy, but that's mostly when I'm not doing something I want to do (which, unfortunately, is most of the time).  Also, I'm a perfectionist, so if I want it done masterfully, I may have to pay for it.

Ultimately, whether you build or buy, you invest and reap the benefits thereof.  Building reaps the benefits of more tools, experience, cuts/scrapes (and scars if you're lucky), stories, and the end product.  Buying reaps the benefits of less tools (yes, that can be a benefit if your garage is as cluttered as mine), fewer cuts, and usually a better finished product, which, oftentimes is more reliable than what you'd build yourself (unless you already had the experience and tools to build it).

Build if you can...buy if you can't.

Offline lance

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2008, 01:26:06 PM »
 I like to tinker and build, also like to collect and buy. As a plus,i share and let others shoot what i have, it's always fun to borrow theirs too! Preference? that is a good question!
PALADIN had a gun.....I have guns, mortars, and cannons!

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2008, 04:23:13 PM »
Standard rule of thumb in manufacturing:  if you need something (like tooling) for the process and someone else makes it:  buy it.  (It's less expensive than MAKING it - time and money.)

But you can't make an original antique.

Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2008, 06:15:11 PM »
I like to make stuff and can make stuff but I don't have an unlimited amount of time (from more than one perspective.)  So sometimes I buy when I could make.  Depends on circumstances.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Tropico

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
    • Tropico Beach
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2008, 09:01:06 PM »
 I am not a machinist and I am grateful to know some., lucky really The carpentry work I can do. Not prize winning., but enough to get away with it. I like to buy barrels ., or sometimes design one and have it built.   I buy the gun and build the carriage., caps ., wheels and tools ect.,ect.   Nothing better than testing a project after its completion. Very satisfying

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2008, 01:03:36 AM »
Terry,

Looking at the comments, I think you poll needs three more choices.

D.  All of the above
E.  Some of the above
F.  None of the above

Some pretty interesting comments  from the folks.

I did notice a not quite accurate statement by CW. He said BUY is a four letter word. I know better.  CW is the pre-eminent flea Market junkie.  If he found a nice cannon  or mortar that caught his fancy at a flea market and he could haggle the dealer down 50-75%, he'd BUY!!!! Confess Tim, I'm right aren't I?

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2008, 03:15:02 AM »
this is an extremely interesting question , but I as an perfectionist would build it myself .

if you find an nice priced cannon , then the quality probably ain't what you want .
if you find an high quality cannon , then you must consider if you want to eat canned beans for the coming months .
when you find the perfect cannon , then you start realize that your wallet ain't as big as your house .

those are the main reason why I would build by myself   ;D ;D

but there are also a lot of fun building by yourself , OK some of you said you had neither skills or machines . but try to take an piece of paper and an pencil and start making some sketches of what you want , do some research of how the originals looked . then try to make an exact scale drawing of what you want , it aint difficult , just use an ruler and do it as perfect as you can .

Im sure that any of your friends have an friend working with or having there own machines , its much more fun when you have been a part of the manufacturing process, you will be proud when you telling friends its your own design . but you could also take it one step further and starting taking an evening class in learning to use machines . there you can produce it from your own drawing .
or you can make an wax original of what you want and have an foundry to do the casting .

I must agree with cat whisperer , Im also building my own workshop now . or to be honest Ive done so for an long time  ;D ;D
but now I got almost everything I need , its expensive with tools and machines but its also very satisfying to make your own things .
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2008, 03:47:55 AM »
In years past I bought or traded for most of my Artillery,

my first piece was a Swivel gun bought back in 1982

The next was a Lapan iron gun I think was a two pounder on a naval truck carriage I traded a 1816 musket

reconverted to flint and a little cash for,

next was a small coehorn pool balls fit it well I built the oak base,

Another early style 17th C. Coehorn again the oak base is my doing,

Then a Thundermug came my way.......

I then made a Trade with a fellow for a full scale repro 3 inch ordnance rifle mounted on a 3 year old

carriage I traded an original 18th C. tomahawk and a 18th C. small sword for it, unfortunalty that one

got stolen! >:(

Next trade got me an original 2pnd. Spanish cannon which now resides in Cannonmns collection,

then with the same fellow I traded for a small bronze King howitzer on a field carriage, a iron British mortar if memory is right about 4.5"

I had other items also that did not fit this forum, everything except the Spanish gun & the thunder mug were reproductions.

unfortunately due to the loss of a job while handling my Mom's estate, I was forced to sell everything.

It has taken allot of years to recover monetarily..... I was almost there last year when I lost my job,

now after 9 months I am back at my old job, and need to build a little savings, I plan to build my next

cannon since I can't afford to spend the money I'd like to spend. I have access to a full machine shop,

and have some knowledge of casting metal I've made reproduction sword parts and brass pans for flint locks

in the past. so we will see what comes about in the coming months......

Allen <><

Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline rifleshooter2

• Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2008, 07:58:57 AM »
I go for Build nothing like saying "I made that"

Andy
Save Legionville

Offline armorer77

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2008, 09:44:43 AM »
I will go with building myself , but I have been buying tooling for 18 years . Armorer

Offline accuratemike

• Avid Poster
    • http://www.accuratepower.com
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2008, 10:37:35 AM »
.............. but I have been buying tooling for 18 years . Armorer

;)  MIKE

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2008, 10:47:55 AM »
I did notice a not quite accurate statement by CW. He said BUY is a four letter word. I know better.  CW is the pre-eminent flea Market junkie.  If he found a nice cannon  or mortar that caught his fancy at a flea market and he could haggle the dealer down 50-75%, he'd BUY!!!! Confess Tim, I'm right aren't I?

Not quite.  I still maintain that 'buy' is a four letter word.  Yes, I've been known to cuss; but I didn't inhale.

Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline Tropico

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
    • Tropico Beach
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2008, 05:18:16 PM »
KABAR2 ..., Nice looking swivel you got there !

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2008, 08:25:49 PM »
 I'd rather build than buy.

In years past, I would rarely buy something like a cannon or other relatively simple manufactured item even if I had cash in hand to do so. I get a lot of satisfaction out of making things myself.

Now however, even though I have the ability, tools and most materials available to make just about any small to medium size cannon/mortar for cheap or free, time is the limiting factor.

Over the past two years, I've bought two 'turn-key' mortars and one semi-finished cannon. Only thing I've made from scratch is my mini-handgonne...
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2008, 10:59:05 PM »
I buy old stuff then shoot it, that way I get to enjoy two aspects of it, the historical and the functional.  I recommend everyone buy original, historic pieces, enjoy them briefly, then sell them to me! : )

Offline Cannon caster

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2008, 11:56:19 AM »
Well I like to build more than to buy. But since I am 15 years old I cant really build or buy much things.
500 g of black powder.

Offline HuecoDoc

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2008, 02:35:27 PM »

I then made a Trade with a fellow for a full scale repro 3 inch ordnance rifle mounted on a 3 year old

carriage I traded an original 18th C. tomahawk and a 18th C. small sword for it, unfortunalty that one

I hate when that happens(!) and it makes me worry a bit.  Was it outside, and what would you do differently to prevent that?  I don't (yet) have a cannon to play with, but it seems a heavy chain in a figure 8 around the trunnions (a loop on each trunnion locked together over or under the barrel) chained around a tree would guard against quick theft, at the least.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2008, 04:57:55 PM »
...it seems a heavy chain in a figure 8 around the trunnions (a loop on each trunnion locked together over or under the barrel) chained around a tree would guard against quick theft...

How much time would the potential thief have before someone would see and recognize his activity and get someone there to inhibit it?  That is the minimum length of time a passive system must resist the thief.  What's to prevent the thief from felling the tree with a chainsaw?  Collateral damage means nothing to the thief; it's not his stuff being destroyed.

Best thing to do is put a well marked dummy out for display so when it's stolen, the thief is identifiable and has nothing of significant value.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline HuecoDoc

« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2008, 08:20:29 PM »
How much time would the potential thief have before someone would see and recognize his activity and get someone there to inhibit it?  That is the minimum length of time a passive system must resist the thief.  What's to prevent the thief from felling the tree with a chainsaw?  Collateral damage means nothing to the thief; it's not his stuff being destroyed.

Best thing to do is put a well marked dummy out for display so when it's stolen, the thief is identifiable and has nothing of significant value.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2008, 01:28:13 AM »
Using much the same technique a friend of mine and his wife both carry TWO wallets when they're in DC.

AND another friend who collects sleighs and carriages keeps a small pile of newspaper and hay UNDER each one (on the floor) for the mice to nest in.

The technique WORKS!

Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2008, 04:17:58 AM »

I hate when that happens(!) and it makes me worry a bit.  Was it outside, and what would you do differently to prevent that?  I don't (yet) have a cannon to play with, but it seems a heavy chain in a figure 8 around the trunnions (a loop on each trunnion locked together over or under the barrel) chained around a tree would guard against quick theft, at the least.

Short answer-I was in the middle of a move from one location to another My Cube van which I would have used to move it had a blown transmission I had it chained and locked at the one location which was fenced with locked gates. I was trying to borrow a truck and trailer from a friend to move it, it took a week when I went to get it, it was gone. I believe the real-estate people made off with it but could not prove it.

Allen
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline HuecoDoc

« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2008, 05:19:22 AM »

Short answer-I was in the middle of a move from one location to another My Cube van which I would have used to move it had a blown transmission I had it chained and locked at the one location which was fenced with locked gates. I was trying to borrow a truck and trailer from a friend to move it, it took a week when I went to get it, it was gone. I believe the real-estate people made off with it but could not prove it.

Allen

Sorry to hear that.  There aren't a whole lot of places to put a full scale cannon.  I may have space in the house, but no doorway one would fit through!

Offline Tropico

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
    • Tropico Beach
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2008, 08:00:25 AM »
I believe the real-estate people made off with it but could not prove it.

Bloody Pirates !