Author Topic: I was wondering?  (Read 856 times)

Offline backstrap

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
I was wondering?
« on: April 05, 2008, 10:41:30 AM »
I was wondering y some many deer hunters think it takes a special bullet to kill a deer? I have shot deer with junk wolf ammo in 223 u know them bullets couldnt have been to well maid, i just think it makes the hunter fill better about the bullet they shoot.i dont shoot any partition,grandslam or any them well know name bullets, and have killed deer for many years with just plain ol soft nose bullets,i think it is all in shot placement is all that matter,there is 1 bullet i will not use had a bad experience with and dont use them any more but I think any bullet would kill a whitetail deer,now if i was going Elk or mouse hunting it would be a different store
1 shot 1 kill

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
Re: I was wondering?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2008, 12:15:09 PM »
I think this has been discussed before but my two cents are, certainly any bullet placed properly will kill a deer. I think it's just that premium bullets will retain more of their initial weight during expansion and therefore retain more kinetic energy resulting in more penetration, a better chance at a pass through and hopefuly a better blood trail to follow. Again just my opinion.
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 03:22:15 AM »
I agree with Grim.  It's a matter of confidence.  When I'm hunting around home, a Core Lokt or similar bullet is plenty fine. I don't see just how cheap I can go tho. But if I going off somewhere, I'm going to what I consider a premium bullet just for the peace of mind it will give me.  By premium bullet, I mean a NP or Grand Slam. I ain't gonna go to any $2.00 bullet however. There is a limit to my stupidity. Now if I was to be going to Africa or Alaska on a trip of a lifetime, those $2.00 bullets might start looking pretty good.
All that said, I don't think I've ever killed anything that a core lokt or hot core or other standard well made cup and core bullet wouldn't have done the job.  I don't guess I've ever had one of those bullet failures I read about.

Offline K.K

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 09:17:09 AM »
I used to load up with the newest "magic bullet" every year, and I have killed piles of deer with them. However, you certainly don't need them. Core-lokts, powerpoints, etc will work fine.  That said, premium bullets tend to shoot better in my rifles, and I like the added confidence that they give me. I think that a few more bucks for components or factory loads is cheap insurance when you consider the cost of a hunt, local or abroad. Also, anything that I can do to  deloiver a quick, painless death to the deer, I am all for.  Just my 2c

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 11:28:27 PM »
As a handloader, there are too many bullet and powder combinations to test each and every one through the barrels of my favorite hunting rifles in order to determine the "most" and "best" accuracy.  I like the accuracy and confidence (in agreement with beemanbeme and grimjim) when shooting the NP.  Small entrance and exit holes with very dynamic internal results.  Tracking of wounded game has been reduced to NONE.  One shot kills, as KK has indicated, by correct shot placement, from a steady rest and the rest is a satisfying meal in front of the fireplace remembering the hunt.

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008, 05:17:48 AM »
For the super dooper armor plated deer I'd move up to 180gr Core-Lokt of Hornady flat base bullets.  ;) If controlled expansion or platic tipped bullets make you happy good for you. I tried the plastic tipped bullets and I'm back to lead tipped.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2008, 06:19:04 AM »
  I think a lot of it is just plain marketing. Larger game is one thing, but it does not take a lot to put down a whitetail with good shot placement. A friend I grew up with has used nothing but a .222 Remington with 50gr core-lokts since the age of 12. He never seems to have a problem with finding deer. A special bonded bullet, IMO, is not needed. I can't remember having a Core-lokt bullet not exit in any caliber including a .243. Many of these through both shoulders. Now, hogs are walking bullet traps and they can be a different story when they get big.

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008, 02:39:20 AM »
Quote from: Mohawk
Now, hogs are walking bullet traps...

Really nice characterization there Mohawk.  It suits them.  ;D

Both hogs and deer are concurrent over a wide range of hunting territory.  Loading a bullet that is effective on both applies.