Author Topic: WHAT ABOUT CHEEPER SCOPES THAT WILL HOLD UP WITH A 7MM REM.????  (Read 1867 times)

Offline BulletBob

• Trade Count: (0)
DOES ANYBODY KNOW A GOOD CHEAPER SCOPE THAT WILL HOLD UP, NOT FOG, AND STAY ZEROED ?
I'M SHOOTING A REM 7MM MAG.  AND CASH IS SHORT....... 
ANYBODY KNOW WHATS AVAILABLE THAT  ( REALLY )  FITS THIS DELIMIA ??????
PRICE RANGE $69.00 TO $159.00
THANKS. GUY'S.........

Offline 300S+W

Re: WHAT ABOUT CHEEPER SCOPES THAT WILL HOLD UP WITH A 7MM REM.????
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 10:41:50 AM »
      I may have to head for the hills after this post but here goes!  You could use a scope with decent eye relief,probably in the 2x7 or 3x9 range. There's a 3x9 scope out that was tested by a WELL KNOWN outdoor writer back in 05 when it first came out. He did a number of tests on it including  freezing it ,submergeing in water,tracking,holding zero ,well you get the idea. But he also tested it on a 7.5lb .338 Winchester Magnum shooting max loaded 250gr bullets. He still has the scope,moves it around on various rifles and it's still working fine. This scope is light weight and comes with some type of rainguard on the lenses like the 3200 and 4200 Bushnells. You can get either a 2x7 or 3x9 for under $100 not counting shipping but some places ship free. It's the Simmons Master Series Prohunter(not Prosport). I've got a 2x7 model on a .25-06 Winchester and it's a NICE scope. They offer these scopes in higher magnifications ,with side focus,and target turrets but let's be realistic about this. Once you get into this price range of scope I've found your best to stay with the basics. You said CHEAP and that's what I showed you. By the way this writer said at the end of the article that it was the best scope for the money and better than some that cost alot more. Hey,if nothing else it'll hold ya over until you can up grade if you want!

til later

Offline bigjeepman

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 12:40:40 PM »
DOES ANYBODY KNOW A GOOD CHEAPER SCOPE THAT WILL HOLD UP, NOT FOG, AND STAY ZEROED ?
I'M SHOOTING A REM 7MM MAG.  AND CASH IS SHORT....... 
ANYBODY KNOW WHATS AVAILABLE THAT  ( REALLY )  FITS THIS DELIMIA ??????

BulletBob ... Welcome to GBO Forums. What kind of price range are you talking about here? It might help others to give you their opinions.

bjm
5 Rules for Happiness
free your heart from hatred ... free your mind from worries ... live simply ... give more ... expect less

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 04:48:41 PM »
Rifle scopes are alot like wives.  It is far cheaper to get a good one the first time than to go through several replacements.  Save up your money for what you really want.

Offline thesteeleboy

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2008, 06:46:44 PM »
I don't own one at the present time but, For someone on a limited budget Tasco, in my opinion is hard to beat. They have a great warranty and are inexpensive. But there is no substitute for quality. You don't drive a $30,000.00 truck on $40.00 tire's, so I recommend, save-save-save, and buy the best you can afford.

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 04:46:43 AM »
I'm with 300 S+W

http://www.simmonsoptics.com/Riflescopes_MS_PH.htm

Long eye relief, True Zero, and my 6x40 is very bright.
Plus they are right in your price range.

Offline Catfish

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008, 08:02:47 AM »
You get what you pay for with scopes. I won`t but a cheap scope.

Offline boaman88

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2008, 10:25:56 AM »
I have a 4-12x40 Pentax Gameseeker on my Ruger 77 7mm Rem Mag. So far no problems and the bullet drop reticle has worked perfect. Gameseekers can be had fairly cheap. I get mine from Fox Optics on Ebay. Cannot argue with $129 shipped for such nice scopes.

Offline bcraig

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2008, 10:07:02 AM »
HI, i am curious about the cheaper scopes myself , I too have a Rem 7mm mag and have yet to fire a round through it as i just got it but I am interested in a scope less than about a $150.00 that I can mount on the gun and will hold up to the recoil . Of course I realize that the optical clarity will not be as good as on some of the more expensive scopes BUT I also realize that a scope is not a birdwatching tool!therefore the optical clarity is not a huge issue with me but holding up to the recoil of a 7 mag is ! I also would like to have 3.5 inches or better of eye relief.Bottom line is I am looking for a hunting scope either a 3-9 variable or a fixed 6 power,that doesn,t fog, holds its adjustments 3.5 inches of eye relief . DOes anyone make such a scope? Also I went over to the Simmons sight and read that the parralax on their scopes are set at 100 yards, is this gonna make a big accuracy issue at say 350 yards? also does anyone have any experience with the Weaver 6 power? thanks ,bcraig by the way i also want to mount the scope as low as possible any recomendations? leopold style or weaver style ? I think I would really like the weaver style but I dont know if the Aluminum mount will be strong enough ?

Offline boaman88

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2008, 10:39:51 AM »
There are several decent priced scopes available these days that have decent optics as well. The Pentax gameseekers already mentioned and the Nikon Prostaffs are both very good for the money. I believe there is also a couple models from Swift that can be had under $200. I check Ebay and then several other sites for the best prices. I have Gameseekers and Prostaffs, both have proven to be quite worth their resonable prices. No experience with the Swifts yet but I have read many good reviews about them.

Tasco and Simmons made decent scopes in the past. From my experience and those I have read by others I would steer clear of their current products however. Not the same quality they once were.

Offline 300S+W

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2008, 11:11:14 AM »
                Tell ya what you guys who just don't have the funds to buy a decent scope right now can do. I just saw a Leupold M8 4x on a classified for $150. A used scope with a lifetime warrenty? Can't beat it! Also a Burris Fullfield ll for $130. Just stay with the well known forums and you'll do fine. Another option is the steel tubed Weaver. Check out the gun shops,pawn shops,whatever. Just take a small magnet with ya. I had someone give me a V7 that I should get back from El Paso next month. Total bill is $63 with shipping included. If you locate a steel tubed Weaver,before you buy it,call Weaver Scope Repair Service in El Paso(915-593-1005)and make sure they have the parts to fix it even if it looks good. I've sent three in and all are now in top shape. I had a K6-B they didn't have parts for.
                As far as the CHEAP CHEAP scopes go I'll still stand by my earlier post. The Simmons MS Prohunter(not Prosport)Series Scope in either 2x7,3x9,6X.You stand a better chance of getting a scope that will hold up if you stay with the basics and forget the bells and whistles. GOOD LUCK!!

til later                               

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2008, 04:14:32 AM »
Buy a used Leupold in 4x, 6x or variable, your choice.  Many are on the auctions sites.

A no-nonsense choice for a 7mm Remington Magnum would be the Leupold 6x scope.

yooper77

Offline IRA51

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2008, 08:20:56 AM »
if you can find a Weaver Grand slam used you would have a nice cheap durable scope for chump change ,the Weaver GS scopes are built like a tank.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2008, 02:29:59 PM »
Another one to consider is the Bushnell Banner in 3 x 9 x 40 , it has just under 4" eye relief and holds up to my 7 1/2 pound 45/70 with upper levergun loads . Trust me when I say that the recoil on it can be nasty and it holds zero like its on a 22 LR .

I also have them on my 25/06 and 30/30 barrels , the glass is very good for a low cost scope .

They can be had for under $75 at just about any Walmart .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Kragman71

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2008, 02:21:29 PM »
I find this thread quite interesting.
Yesterday,I bought a Simmons 1.5X-4x "Shotgun" scope for my new Wolf MZL.
My chief concern was to get as small a scope that can do the job,as I see it.
The variable scope was chosen only because it had no bell on the front,and had 5.5 inches to the rear of the turret.The other scopes that I liked,needed extension bases/rings to be mounted.
I noted that Simmons is/was a Mead enterprise,and Mead has a bad reputation.Maybe that will change now that the Company has been sold.
Does anyone have an opinion on the Simmons Prodiamond scope?
Frank
Frank

Offline RaySendero

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2008, 02:23:57 PM »
Look at some Bushnell's in your price range.
    Ray

Offline tn_junk

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • A Real Regular
  • Look to Him
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2008, 02:36:14 AM »
I have a Kronus that held up to a bunch of 460 &W mag loads with no loss of zero. Did the famous "freezer to hot water" test on it and it did not leak, fog or blow bubbles.
It is extremely clear. Now mounted on my 7.62x39 Handi. I bought a 2.5x Kronus that will be going on my .454 Casull Handi.

alan
Common Sense Ain't Very Common

Deceased May 20, 2009.  RIP Alan we miss you.

Offline kevthebassman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2008, 04:12:44 AM »
Burris Fullfield II.  I have one on my Savage '06, which has pretty stiff recoil.  Good scope for not a lot of money.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Burris-Fullfield-II-3x9x40-Hunting-Rifle-Scope-NEW-Deer_W0QQitemZ150243481883QQihZ005QQcategoryZ31714QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
(note, not my auction, just an example)

Offline Ramhunter

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2008, 04:41:11 AM »
The question of whether you can get away with a cheap scope really depends on what you have at risk.  If you are just fun shooting at the local rifle range or plinking at tin cans, you might well get by with a cheap scope.  If it fails, all you're out is a few bucks for the cheap scope and a lost day at the range. 

On the other hand, if you're out west chasing elk, or are in the Yukon after Dall sheep, you can have thousands of dollars and possibly the hunt of a lifetime depending on the performance of your equipment.  This is not the time to be "penny wise and pound foolish".  It doesn't even have to be an expensive hunt to fully justify a good quality scope.  If you're an avid deer hunter, you surely don't want to risk the enjoyment of your annual deer hunt on a scope that can fog up or on one which has poor low-light gathering abilities.

Cheap scopes may have their place, but there are many places where the risk of using a cheapie doesn't warrant the potential savings.

Offline T.R.

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2008, 05:48:00 AM »

This Winchester AE in 30-30 has taken stacks of mulies for me.  Scope is a 2.5X TASCO shotgun scope I bought as close-out from Sportsman's Guide.  I think it was $29.00 in 1995.  It holds it's zero year to year.  I'll keep it until the scope fails.

I rarely shoot much beyond 175 yards or so.  Stalking close as possible is how I was taught to hunt by Dad and other old timers. 

Simmons AETEC is on my long range antelope rifle.  We've also had good luck with 44 MAG and Whitetail Expedition series on other rifles in the family. Some hunters buy the best of everything but that's not an option for us.  This region is lacking good paying jobs.  We hunt for sport and meat. 

The myth that a hunter has to prepare for the trophy of a lifetime at 300+ yards is laughable to my family. Many huge animals have been taken successfully with open sights.  For that matter, many trophies are taken each year with short range archery gear.

TR

Offline Brithunter

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2008, 08:50:09 AM »
Ok folks need a liitle insight here  ;) how are the Simmons Whitetail Classic 3.4-10x40 Night View scopes? or the Bushnell trophy 3-9x40 as it seems these are possibly what's on offer in replacement for the faulty Nikko Sterlings.

Of those two the Simmons or Bushnell which would you go for?

Offline eye shot

• A Real Regular
    • Mike's Obituary
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2008, 03:47:53 PM »
  Go to ebay and get a denver made Redfield Illuminator in that price range and you will have the best scope for the money!
RIP Mike. Died on July 14th, around 2am, with his family at his side, he went peacefully to be with god.

http://www.sent-trib.com/obituaries/michael-l-schulte

Offline Brithunter

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2008, 09:57:59 PM »
Yeah thanks but that is no help as a Redfield is NOT on offer  ::) the choice is between a Bushnell Trophy and the Simmons Whitetail Classic!

Offline 300S+W

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2008, 01:11:59 AM »
      Brithunter,what I usually do if I don't have any experience with a scope,such as either one of the scopes your asking about,is to go to Midways web and check specs and reviews. They don't carry the Whitetail Classic which I thought it was discontinued although I saw them for sale on another sight.  The Bushnell Trophy was rated at 4 1/2 out of 5 stars from ALOT of reviews that spanned from 2001 to present. If it were me and I were choosing between those two there would be no doubt that I'd go with the Trophy. Sorry I can't give you any hands on info. I've heard MANY times that Bushnells are the best entry level scopes. GOOD LUCK!!

til later

Offline Brithunter

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2008, 09:48:58 PM »
Thank you, I sent the Nikko Sterling back yesterday with a letter asking that the Bushnell Trophy 3-9x40 be supplied in it's place  ;) so now we wait. Meanwhile I phoned Highland Outdoors to let them know that I had returned the replacement Platinum scope that Ramsbottom had sent me because it too had the fault. Got put through to the boss who informed me that he had sent out my scope back to me Yesterday morning after checking it over the weekend and finding nothing wrong with it  :o

The fact that the fast focus eyepiece is so sloppy in the threads that you can wobble it about and pull it in and out with the amount of slack in the threads. This NOT a fault neither is the fact that as you look through and do this the reticle dances about. Seems he now has some machine to check the scopes and that says it's fine   ???. Will just have to wait for the postman now and take a look at it myself when it gets here but I have other scopes with a fast focus eye piece and they don't flop about and when I was setting and running machines I would not have allowed a sloppy thread like this out and been embarressed if the inspector found one that I had missed like it.

With a bit of luck the Bushnell should be here by Friday, I was not really intending to go to the range on Sunday but it now looks like I had better to check this out and try the rifle again, if it shoot acceptable groups with the new scope that will be the final nail in the coffin of this saga  ;) if it doesn't then there is still a problem with the rifle and perhaps I was wrong about the scope  ???

Offline eye shot

• A Real Regular
    • Mike's Obituary
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2008, 02:16:38 PM »
Brithunter
I think your on the wrong topic. My reply is for this topic--- What about cheeper scopes that will hold up with a 7mm Rem.????!
RIP Mike. Died on July 14th, around 2am, with his family at his side, he went peacefully to be with god.

http://www.sent-trib.com/obituaries/michael-l-schulte

Offline Brithunter

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2008, 09:32:33 PM »
OK perhaps you should look for a spring air rifle rated scope as those tend to destroy scopes more than centerfire rifles. However I gather from this thread and site and others I have asked on that the Bushnell Trophy is a fairly good scope and excellent for the money and I am just waiting on the postman now. On my 9.3mm rifle I have an old Bushnell Scopechief 3x scope and one the 458 I have a stee tubed Weaver K1.5 neither have given me problems.

From my personal experiences I would steer clear of modern production out of China seems they have gone too far in the cost reduction thing and quality is a "crap-shoot" I know it's difficult with all the production seemign to being moved there and that the Chinese can and do make some good stuff but how does one tell the difference. Canon moved some production to China years ago, I have a set of Canon 8x21 pocket binos which are great however Canon is careful in checking quality as they value their name. Unfortuneately some are more interested in the bottom line than reputations and seem to work on the premisis that you can fool all of the people all the time.

Offline mtbugle

• Trade Count: (32)
  • Contributor
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2008, 06:32:36 PM »
I had an eagleeye 6-18 power on my last 7 mag winchester classic, and it was still keeping the groups under a quarter at 100 yds when i was relieved of it by a thief.  The last shot with that rifle was a one shot drop of an antelope at 610 yds.  I really liked that scope, although a little large for the hunting rig.  They also are not a great deal of money.

Offline *ROCK-MAN*

• Avid Poster
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2008, 11:50:36 AM »
I have a long time friend who has a Burris FFII on his 338mag this going on the third year and it has held up and the glass looks as good as whats in my Leupold VXII.
Good Luck,
Rock
Walk softly,keep the wind in your face and watch your backtrail.