Author Topic: Encore rifled shotgun barrel... 12ga.  (Read 1703 times)

Offline 12ptdroptine

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Encore rifled shotgun barrel... 12ga.
« on: April 06, 2008, 12:34:44 PM »
Looking at buying another slug slinger... I read that the t/c barrel in 12 ga is a 1 in 28 twist.... What kind of accuracy are you user's getting and with what slug ...out to 150plus yds? I am womdering if the 12ga sst performs as well in the 1in28 12ga as it does in the ultra slugger in 20 ga. Any and all input is appreciated. Drop

Offline 12ptdroptine

• Contributor
Re: Encore rifled shotgun barrel... 12ga.
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 11:33:15 AM »
bump

Offline wink_man

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 07:29:12 PM »
You might want to send 'Qtip' on here a pm, and ask him. He's currently shooting an Encore with a 20 gauge barrel, and he did also at one time have 12 gauge slug barrel for it, so he could prolly give you an unbiased opinion in regard to the 2 of them.

Another option for the 12 gauge, is a badger barrel(depending on the gun). They make a rifled slug barrel for a variety of shotguns, barrels are 24 inches long and a 1 in 26" twist. Thats the route I'm going on the 12 gauge slug gun I'm currently building.

http://www.badgerbarrels.com/ShotGBarrles.htm
Garry
'Life is to short to hang with an ugly woman, or hunt with an ugly gun' - Garry
'It's not that our liberal friends are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't' Ronald Reagan
Just ask an American Indian what happens when you let immigration get out of hand.

Offline deerhunter10

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 09:31:10 PM »
I'm also getting a Badger Barrel put on my custom 12 ga. As I said on a previous post, the gunsmith putting the gun together told me that barrel is shooting 1 inch groups with Federal Barnes tipped expanders and 1 1/4 groups with the Lightfield at 50 yards. Both in 2 3/4 inch. However that barrel hated the SST's  he said about a 12 inch group at that same distance. I spoke with Randy at Lightfield and said that the 2 3/4 inch were good to about 130 yards and the 3 inch were good to about 170 yards. And that 3 inch faster slug should like that faster twist of the Badger barrel. And said that combo should be able to put golf ball size groups together at 50 yards under the right conditions, and proper technique day in and day out. I agree with wink man that Badger barrel would be a great option.

Deerhunter 10

Offline 12ptdroptine

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 10:35:45 AM »
So far so good.... right now I am throwing 2" group's with my Marlin Slugmaster @ 100yds 2 3/4 1.25 oz lightfields.... I am really looking to either buy another barrel for my Encore or another H&R ultra 20..... I am going to come up with some combination for a reliable 180 200 yd slug gun.... The Encore 20ga is a 1 in 24 twist...the 12 is a 1 in 28... I bought an H&R hltra slugger in 12 ga... Havent found what it likes yet... Its a MAJOR shoulder whopper ...Thats for sure...And it sure dont like SST's.... Got a few other brands to try out with it... I am hearing that a 20 ga is plenty enough  for killing out to 200 yds.Supposedly the sst in 20 is the 300 gr hornady...And It or the 250gr sst in a blackpowder is plenty enough out to those same range's...with 2 pyrodex pellets... I just appreciate all the help I can get ...So as I can make an educated decision.. Thanks all   Drop

Offline 12ptdroptine

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2008, 02:50:09 PM »
ttt

Offline 12ptdroptine

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2008, 06:38:20 AM »
any experienced help out there?

Offline Muddyboots

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008, 02:08:45 PM »
Had both barrels for Encore. 20 grouped very well with Federal Expanders out 100 yds. Killed nice 6 at about 75 yds with as nice of shot in crease as you would want with Expanders. Like a dope, sold it off with couple other barrels when I switched over to SS Encore. Have 12 ga barrel and I can say it is not as accurate so far except with my own reloads (Hammerheads from www.shotgunslugs.com). Doesn't shoot SSt's worth crap, Lightfields are OK but not nearly as accurate as the Hammerheads. The 12 will loosen fillings while the 20 was comfortable to shoot. Recoil is not an issue for me since I shoot big bores all the time but if you are of slight build, it will be absolutely wonderful to touch one off. At 6'5"/255 mass is always good for recoil. I had my druthers, I would definitely shoot the 20 over the 12 since I really felt it was more accurate. I would shoot the Hastings Lasers as well since it is same slug as Hammerheads. It is available in 20. I also got the 20 from Custom Shop in 26" barrel whcih made it point very nice.
Craig
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety." Ben Franklin