Author Topic: Warranty on New Haven-made M70?  (Read 1580 times)

Offline winfan

• Trade Count: (0)
Warranty on New Haven-made M70?
« on: April 06, 2008, 05:25:36 PM »
Hello, Had a few minutes to kill before an appointment yesterday, so I stopped at a gun shop to browse a bit.  I found a new M70 Featherweight, a gun I always really wanted, but never got around to getting.  Anyways, does anyone know how warranty issues are handled on the New Haven made guns since they are discontinued?   Just in case I would get a lemon, I was wondering who, if anyone, would stand behind it.  I was thinking of going back to check it out again.  The price seemed pretty good, but it's still enough money I'd like to have some sort of warranty.

Thanks, Mike

Offline Rangr44

• Trade Count: (6)
Re: Warranty on New Haven-made M70?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 03:37:18 AM »
Sorry, I can't help you with your Model 70 warranty question, since I've never had one (nor ever heard of one) that required a factory/warranty repair - and I've owned about 8 different new M70 rifles since the 70's.

JMO, but I think your concern is unwarranted.  ;D

If you truely "always really wanted" one, and the price is satisfactory - what R U waiting for ?
There's a Place for All God's Creatures - Right Next to the Potatoes & Gravy ! !

Offline p15camborne

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 07:42:01 AM »
I never even thought about warranty when I bought my new 9422 last year.  So far it's perfect.   

Offline winfan

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 04:38:53 PM »
Oh, I wasn't really worried, just happen to think about it.  I was finallly able to get on Winchester's site & from what I could gather, they are still covered.  I own five Winchester lever-actions, three of recent manufacture & never had a problem. 

What am I waiting for?  A day off - gun shop is 90 miles away.  I'm a carpenter & cabinetmaker and I can't keep up with all the work coming in.  Lord willing it keeps up this way - so I can buy more rifles :)

Thanks, Mike

Offline Slowpoke Slim

• Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 05:58:23 AM »
Before they announced the closing of the New Haven factory, USRAC announced that Browning was taking over all warranty work for Winchester products. As far as I know, this is still in place. A call to Browning should confirm this for you.

I still want a Featherweight in 6.5x55 myself, what caliber is the one you're looking at?

I say, if you've always wanted one, then BUY IT!!

Offline Tikkabuck

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 07:18:32 AM »
 I had the same thoughts on my last one.The paperwork in the box when you get it,the one with all the warrenty. shops for Winchester,they still do all the work just as before.

Offline 277284

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 10:00:01 AM »
Earlier this month I used - winchesterguns.com/purchaseconfirm.  I had found a new M70 with all papers.  It sent me back a reply that confirmed registration.

Offline winfan

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 04:55:26 PM »
Before they announced the closing of the New Haven factory, USRAC announced that Browning was taking over all warranty work for Winchester products. As far as I know, this is still in place. A call to Browning should confirm this for you.

I still want a Featherweight in 6.5x55 myself, what caliber is the one you're looking at?

I say, if you've always wanted one, then BUY IT!!

Oh, I'd love one in 6.5 Swede or .270, but this is a lefty model & AFAIK, they only made those in WSM calibers.  This one is the .270 wsm.   I'm pretty traditional when it comes to rifle calibers, but I'd kinda like a lefty, so I could live with the caliber.  My rifle stock broke last year when we were in Montana, so I ended up using my buddies 270 wsm to shoot my muley with.

Offline winfan

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 05:08:18 PM »
Well, I ended up getting it on Monday.  Just happened to have a job in Minneapolis, & the gunshop was right there.   Still have to get a scope on her tho.

Mike

Offline Rangr44

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2008, 02:23:49 PM »
[I still want a Featherweight in 6.5x55 myself]

I bought one of those last year, in what looked like perfect condition, complete with a 2-7x33 Leupold.

It wouldn't shoot any better than about 6-8" @ 100yds when I got it home, but when I investigated - I found that someone that didn't know any better had glass bedded the action with zero tolerance all around - a definite "no-no".

I relieved the glass bedding both in front and on the sides of the recoil lug, in back of the rear tang, and then added a shim in the barrel channel about 1 1/2" back from the tip.

The next time out, it shot several 3/4" groups @ 100yds - until I ran out of ammo.

They are very decent rifles, indeed.
There's a Place for All God's Creatures - Right Next to the Potatoes & Gravy ! !