Author Topic: Remington Consolidation Plan  (Read 18202 times)

Offline plumberroy

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
Re: Remington Consolidation Plan
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2008, 07:08:28 PM »
It comes down to this  north east plant = union move to south east = non union or weaker unions  I plan on informing  the remington contact that  nothing remington will be purchased  by this household   if H&Rs are not made  In gardner  period no ammo  no knives no gun oil nothing
Roy
Every breath I take as a Free man was paid for with the blood of an American Soldier

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2008, 07:23:04 PM »
I would say they will cut a deal with Rossi to dump the whole line (for a price) and leave Braztek the whole low end single shot rifle market.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2008, 07:33:24 PM »
I seen the writing on the "BIG GREEN" wall!  I could smell a big fat rat. You can bet this is the beginning of the end.

Get ready for the CHINESE, RUSSIAN, BRAZILIAN JUNK!

NOT ME, NEVER!
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline coyotejoe

« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2008, 04:11:58 AM »
It is always sad to see American manufacturing jobs shut down. It is generally recognized that WWll was won as much by our manufacturing ability as by our fighting ability. U.S. manufacturing is now history and the kind of jobs which permitted the ordinary working guy to have a decent lifestyle are also history. But as to H&R, the quality has been so poor I doubt they could get much worse.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline fish280

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2008, 05:02:51 AM »
forgive me for being mildly optimistic, but how about this: moving the equipment to a larger, current plant, re-tooling where necessary, and perhaps expanding the line of barrels ...
hey, it could happen ...
His,
><>

Offline plumberroy

• Contributor
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2008, 05:12:25 AM »
I call the contact nunber today  and politely told the lady I talked to that I use a lot of remington products  have expendable income  and have bought my last remington anything unless they decide to reverse the decision to close the gardner plant.   Yes I am a extremely stuburn old hillbilly
Roy
Every breath I take as a Free man was paid for with the blood of an American Soldier

Offline STUMPJMPR

« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2008, 05:37:16 AM »
It probably won't be long before even the remington 700's are made in china.  The quality isn't there but they are cheaper to manufacture and to the guy on the top its all about profit margin and getting rich.  They don't care about the quality of the product.  To my way of thinking it won't be long before you see alot of the marlin product line disappear primarily the lever actions.  They are climbing in price.  A bottom line 336 now sells for $370 dollars or so. 

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2008, 06:07:44 AM »
Why buy an operation like NEF and close it. Why not try and improve it. Remington seeks one thing only and that's the bottom line and people................dedicated people don't matter.

Mc

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2008, 06:15:55 AM »
The  current consolidation plan is to move H&R production to other existing Marlin/Remington plants, not to cease production, although the move will temporarily stop production and barrel fitting I'm sure.

Tim

This integration will be seamless and will not affect our customers or our product offerings.
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline plumberroy

• Contributor
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2008, 06:25:23 AM »
This integration will be seamless and will not affect our customers or our product offerings.
Yea Right
I have been involved in start up of moved manufacturing plants more than once
I know better

Offline norman

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Avid Poster
  • Liberal, Kansas
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2008, 07:41:12 AM »
As torpedoman said they will end up being made from some foreign port of call. >:(

Glad I bought a T/C Encore now.  If they do start making them in China then looks like I will have to start getting more high priced bbls from tc or Bergara.  Damn, why not just start flying the commie flag now instead of waiting for them to take over????  This stinks.

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2008, 07:59:08 AM »
With all the gun manufactures are being bought up and the total number of companies becoming fewer and fewer, what happens if Remington goes under?  It makes it easier and more likely that the Antis could decide to go after one company to get it closed down.  That would take a bigger percentage of gun makers out of business.  In other words I would like to have a bunch of little companies than one big one. 

Personally I feel that this move was made by a cooperate group that don't even know which end a bullet come out of, and don't care.  It's a white collar business deal, and financial top line is the only concern.  When the top line drops they will divest themselves of the worthless companies and they will sink into oblivion.  Look at Winchester.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline phatgemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2008, 10:15:56 AM »
The fallout from the future new "market" won't be the only thing! Think about all the Handi's we have out here now. What happens for warranty and non warranty service. You bought it, now we got it.............

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2008, 10:34:54 AM »
sounds like no warranty, no service, maybe you should start selling now before the bottom drops out
I will give $50.00 for a Ultra Varmint fluted in 204, or 223, haw heck both. I am trying to help
don't want you to lose every thing. ::) :o
Rex
GOD GUNS and GUTS MADE AMERICA GREAT

Texas is good for men and dogs, but it is hell on women and horses.

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2008, 11:23:54 AM »
sounds like no warranty, no service, maybe you should start selling now before the bottom drops out
I will give $50.00 for a Ultra Varmint fluted in 204, or 223, haw heck both. I am trying to help

:D
Good luck on that one.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2008, 11:33:10 AM »
I'd like to remind everyone that Remington is moving production of H&Rs to one or more of their other plants, this Chicken Little talk is getting a little too much, they never said they were discontinuing them, just closing the old plant down!! ::) Considering H&Rs have been more profitable to Marlin than Marlin products itself, Remington would be foolish to stop production and support of the products that are making money.

Tim

http://wbjournal.com/j/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3055&Itemid=129

Gardner Firearm Manufacturer Sold     
Written by Christina Davis     
Thursday, 27 December 2007 
The parent company of a gun manufacturer in Gardner is expected to be bought by North Carolina-based Remington Arms Co. Inc.

Remington has entered into a definitive agreement to buy Marlin Firearms Co. Inc. of North Haven, Conn., for an undisclosed sum. Marlin, a family-owned business, owns H&R 1871 Inc. in Gardner, which employs about 230 people.

H&R (Harrington and Richardson) was founded in the 1871, and at one time had a plant in Worcester. According to past news reports, the company was bought by James O. Garrison in 1991, who then sold the company to Marlin in 2000 citing mounting legal bills from class action handgun lawsuits.

Greater Gardner Chamber of Commerce President Michael Ellis said he does not expect the purchase to hurt H&R.

"As a subsidiary of Marlin they have done better than Marlin," he said. "They have had better earnings and better profits. So my feeling is that H&R is in a pretty good position."

The Remington deal is expected to close in January

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2008, 01:08:56 PM »
I wish the employees and their families the best of luck. I think it is a sad state of affairs when the "bottom line" becomes more important than the American family.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Spanky

Offline NAM70

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2008, 01:13:25 PM »
I'd like to remind everyone that Remington is moving production of H&Rs to one or more of their other plants, this Chicken Little talk is getting a little too much, they never said they were discontinuing them, just closing the old plant down!! ::) Considering H&Rs have been more profitable to Marlin than Marlin products itself, Remington would be foolish to stop production and support of the products that are making money.

Tim

http://wbjournal.com/j/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3055&Itemid=129

Gardner Firearm Manufacturer Sold     
Written by Christina Davis    
Thursday, 27 December 2007 
The parent company of a gun manufacturer in Gardner is expected to be bought by North Carolina-based Remington Arms Co. Inc.

Remington has entered into a definitive agreement to buy Marlin Firearms Co. Inc. of North Haven, Conn., for an undisclosed sum. Marlin, a family-owned business, owns H&R 1871 Inc. in Gardner, which employs about 230 people.

H&R (Harrington and Richardson) was founded in the 1871, and at one time had a plant in Worcester. According to past news reports, the company was bought by James O. Garrison in 1991, who then sold the company to Marlin in 2000 citing mounting legal bills from class action handgun lawsuits.

Greater Gardner Chamber of Commerce President Michael Ellis said he does not expect the purchase to hurt H&R.

"As a subsidiary of Marlin they have done better than Marlin," he said. "They have had better earnings and better profits. So my feeling is that H&R is in a pretty good position."

The Remington deal is expected to close in January

I agree. Lets let the dust settle a little bit before we all go off half cocked. Dave

Offline MOGLEY

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2008, 01:42:11 PM »
This is what I was told. Cerebus bought Remington, Remington bought H&R. Cerebus also bought up bushmaster and I think another I forget right now BUT the important segment of conversation  I do remember was That corporate Cerebus is comprised ( at least in part) of retired service brass and their intent is to bring back the gun industry in the USA. With an agenda ,for instance, of kicking Berreta out of the service contracts and be self sufficient for our troops  armament. Winchesters fate was not well received and the intent is to prevent that. Personally I am not a corporate genius but can understand that consolidating means some will lose out. I am very sympathetic to those affected. Here in Maine we have a big pulp and paper industry and towns that survive solely by the fate of the mill. There has been many mills shut down in the last 20 years and the ones that have not shut down have upgraded equipment to become more competitive.......... which meant sometimes as much as 20 people get laid off for one new machine installed. My brother in law moved his family out of Millinocket  and had to find a new skill at 45.

Lets worry about what we know and not doom the handi rifles. It is possible they could improve the tolerances and we won't have to send in recievers anymore! I personally hope they drop the foreign single shots for the Handis
Stupid Hurts

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2008, 02:54:18 PM »
Cerberus is in the business to make money nothing more nothing less . They told the folks at Chrysler they had no intent to to cut jobs or production at the plant near me . I guess they must of ment after they cut the 1000 3rd shift jobs that they have cut so far. Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline tmccray45

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2008, 03:08:02 PM »
What is it about these Handi's that invokes this kind of reaction to the announcement of yet another plant closing?   I read the announcement posted by Quick and immediately thought of the workers that produced these stupid little rifles.   Kinda like a distant family member that just lost his/her job.

I've got a Remington .308, a Mossberg 100 ATR in a .270, a Stevens 25-06, a Savage .243.   They all shoot very well and I like them.   

But the Handi 25-06, the Handi 30-30, the Handi Huntsman 50 cal., and the Handi 7.62x39 are like the runt of the litter.   When I go to the range, one of them ALWAYS goes with me.   I can shoot any of the bolt action rifles at the range, but when I pull out the Handi, people look.   I feel like "anyone can buy one of the bolts", but this Handi is special.

I just have a special feeling for these rifles.   I'm glad I have the ones that I do.   They are VERY accurate and each season, when I go into the field, one of them goes with me.

I'll be keeping mine.   (Might just go out in the garage and run a patch or two through them just to let them know they're wanted.)
"Work: The New Retirement"

Offline RLA

« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2008, 03:55:10 PM »
After reading this, i called my local gun shop. i am buying one more Marlin and one more NEF before there is a "R" stamped on it.

Offline tn_junk

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • A Real Regular
  • Look to Him
« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2008, 04:01:07 PM »
I hope the frame I sent to NEF yesterday for .357 and .45 Colt barrels makes it there and back, with the barrels.

alan
Common Sense Ain't Very Common

Deceased May 20, 2009.  RIP Alan we miss you.

Offline plumberroy

• Contributor
« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2008, 07:43:02 PM »

Tim
I have no doubt that H&R's will be contiued for a while a t least what I am fed up with is corporations closing/moving profitable plants to lower paying areas to make a few cents more for share holder and bonus for the ceo I get tired of some one making $250-$500 an hour (that has never stood in front of a machine for 8 hours a day) telling some one making $15-$25 an hour their making to much
I might tolerate it if they passed on  part of  savings  but they don't 
I am a plumber  people have to have water and have to s_ _t so I will have some kind of work if we don't start standing up for each other there ain't going to be many decent jobs left . Ok I get off the soap box now  ;D anyone else make make a subsonic hp 22? like I said I'm a stuburn old hillbilly
Roy

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
« Reply #54 on: April 09, 2008, 02:48:04 AM »
Ok I guess it's my turn to chime in on the subject.
First off I never cared much for a REMINGTON except for the model 30s EXPRESS which never really was a REM. in the first place, (p14/p17 action)
Second I do like my HANDIs in all forms.
As for the workers I am truly sorry their lives will be changed forever.
Maybe some for the better, some for the worst.
As for now I will just have to wait and see where this all ends up, WHO KNOWS!
I can tell you this much, no matter how much I like a product I will never buy a foreign made HANDI.
I am a WINCHESTER nut but they have sold me the last one I will ever buy off of them.
Nothing wrong with FN. I love my A5s. I just can't see a WINCHESTER with these letters stamped on them!
As a famous person once said in battle "KEEP YOUR CHIN UP BOYS AND LETS JUST SEE WHAT HAPPENS"

LONGTOM
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline JustShootin

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (70)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2008, 03:41:04 AM »
Is the glass half full or half empty?

Lets look at the other side of layoffs. If the companies had not laid off the workers they did what would have happened? Perhaps they would have continued to operate until they had to close the door. Then they auction off equipment and other leftovers and forever close the doors. How many people are working there now? What management did maintained the profit line so the company could continue to operate which in turn keeps people working.

Occasionally here on GBO someone complains about a gun that wouldn't shoot a group, only patterns. How do other posters respond? Do other posters chime in with more and more complaints? No. They reply with positive comments and help fixes. They take there time to promote a positive attitude towards this little rifle. Perhaps we need to continue with this positive attitude until we know the outcome that will materialize regardless of our complaints.

Is the glass half full or half empty? We will all be happier if we look at half full.

My 2 cents. Thanks. Grant
12ga 18 1/4" barrel = Bedroom gun,    12 w/rifled slug barrel,    .410,    12ga mod barrel only,    .22 Sportster,    .17 HMR Sportster,    .223 Rem,    .22 Hornet,    30/30,    45/70,    .357 Rem Max,    .50 Sidekick.

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #56 on: April 09, 2008, 03:50:43 AM »
I was just trying to be funny, didn't mean to be chicken little, i am sure things will work out, we
will have to wait and see.  Just funing guys ::)
Rex
GOD GUNS and GUTS MADE AMERICA GREAT

Texas is good for men and dogs, but it is hell on women and horses.

Offline aldar

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #57 on: April 09, 2008, 04:07:37 AM »
I have to agree with Justshooting. Maybe, just maybe there's a Chance that Remington will start engineering the Handis to compete with TC's using drop-in barrels. No more sending them in for extra barrels. In either case, there will always be a Handi forum and bunch of guys who are willing to sell and trade

Offline mrbgt

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #58 on: April 09, 2008, 05:11:12 AM »
Unfortunately , most Remington rifles were already overpriced , Savage usually gets my $$ . Now I'm afraid handi's will go that direction !! The good news is, there is a huge market in this country for inexpensive firearms , and handi's aren't overly complicated to produce .

Offline tn_junk

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • A Real Regular
  • Look to Him
« Reply #59 on: April 09, 2008, 06:16:01 AM »
I just talked to HR about the .45 and .357 barrels I am hoping for and they said that they are in stock, and should be a quick turn around. They also said that they were going to continue the barrel program and that it would be moving to a plant in Kentucky.
Sounds promising.

alan
Common Sense Ain't Very Common

Deceased May 20, 2009.  RIP Alan we miss you.