Author Topic: lee loaders  (Read 1080 times)

Offline Illhunter

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
lee loaders
« on: April 09, 2008, 03:39:57 PM »
any of you ever use the Lee Classic Loader Kit or the Lee Hand Press Reloading Kit. I am thinking about getting something like this to start off with so I don't have alot invested in it anyway what did you all think of it and how difficult were they to use.   

Offline victorcharlie

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: lee loaders
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 03:47:17 PM »
I started handloading using a lee loader back in the 60's.....

They are easy to use, and load very good ammo.....

The first piece of additional equipment I'd add would be a good balance beam scale......
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 04:22:21 PM »
Yeah what VictorCharlie said x2 on the good scale.  I started in the 70's with 30-30 and 41 magnum. But if you shoot much at all you'll probably get tired of pounding brass in and out of the size die.  You might find the next step up small press much more enjoyable, quieter, easier on the brass.  Shop around, check GB's classifieds or Ebay and you could likely find a decent press (RCBS Jr., Lee, Lyman, other RCBS) for very moderate cost.

I have kept my Lee kits - they are real portable.

Good luck - read a manual.  Have fun.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline Rebel-1

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 05:09:40 PM »
For around $100 you can get the Lee Anniversary kit that has everything you need except the dies, bullets, powder and primers. And with the reloading industry having a hard time keeping up with the sales right now you could probably get your money back out of it if you decided reloading wasn't for you, which i can't see happening. ;)

Offline FourBee

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 05:52:31 PM »

Illhunter:
  If you prefer to use the hand held Auto Primer with the LEE Kit that Rebel-1 describes.   It comes with a Breech Lock Challeger  Kit for the same price.  The Anniversary Kit comes with a Press mounted Primer.   Which ever you prefer.   I like the hand held primer myself.

4/B
Enjoy your rights to keep and bear arms.

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 05:58:58 PM »
  I started loading the 6MM Remington with one. The neighbor lady thought i was redoing the kitchen i was banging so much. It is a bit time consuming to load a thousand rounds with one. You definately NEED a scale in my opinion, those dippers are neat but...! Get several good manuals and the scale. READ the books first ,then start low and work up. They do not make as many sets as the used to, so be sure they have your cartridge before you go to far. I really think the press kit is the way for you to go.http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=0004487466
 or this one  http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=423081

Offline Illhunter

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2008, 06:20:57 PM »
i was thinking for portability it would be great but the more i think i may just hold a bit and get a regular kit for home would probably be easier on me

Offline FourBee

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 01:03:34 AM »
 :)  Illhunter; I started with the  LEE Classic, and still have one.   While they're fun to use, they sure are time consuming.
Enjoy your rights to keep and bear arms.

Offline wncchester

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2008, 02:23:25 AM »
Lee tools have made it possible for more people to get into reloading than all the other makers combined and I appreciate them for that.  And, at the same time, Lee has captured a large segment of the reloading market so their competition has had to hold their prices a lot more than they would have with  out Lee.  I REALLY appreciate that!

Other than being slow, the old Lee hand tools only neck size so using donated brass can be a problem. 

If anyone is lacking space for a loading bench the hand press is a good option, it will allow the user to full length resize fairly easily.  If there is room for even a small bench, I know anyone just starting would prefer a conventional press and the Lee Classic Cast is as good as they come.  And they sell for little more than the Anniversary/Challenger press.

Ammo made with Lee tools is as good as that made from any other brand; it's very good stuff.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2008, 02:38:47 AM »
Wasn't too long ago that Bench Rest shooters were setting records with reloading tools quite similar to Lee Loaders.  I still have mine and every so often I run up a batch of ammo with one just to remind myself that all those whistles and bells on my bench are just that, nice to have thingies not got to have thingies.
After the purchase of your Lee Loader your next purchases should be a Lee Auto Prime and a mid priced balance beam scale. 

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2008, 04:02:15 AM »
The Lee loader may be the only way for the occasional shooter to save money reloading.
It costs about what a set of dies or box of loaded ammo does.

The hand press gives you the ability to full length re size or crimp.
You still have to buy dies that cost as much as a Lee loader to use it though.

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2008, 06:46:59 AM »
I started loading shotgun shells with the classic Lee loader in elementary school in the middle of last century.  I think I paid three or four dollars plus postage for it.

A few years later I started loading 38/357 rounds with one.  I continued to use this loading kit years after I had a standard bench press.  It became my travel reloading kit when we went to my wife’s folks place for a couple of weeks.  When thing got slow I would load ammunition and go out back and setup targets against the rural hillside. 

The nearest neighbor did not mind he was a police officer who did the same thing on his property.  How America has changed.

I have never loaded bottle neck cases with a Lee Loader.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline roger460xvr

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2008, 11:21:56 AM »
I'm  a lee user........ROGER460XVR

Offline hotrod0872

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2008, 02:30:20 PM »
i use all lee stuff and luv it!
you can buy the whole kit and a set of dies for around $100.00 and have everything you need to start loading the day you get it!

Offline hotburn76

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2008, 03:22:17 PM »
I think it is a great kit to figure out if reloading is something you want to do or not.  I get alot of ideas and then realize its not what I want to do so the lee kit worked good for me.  One thing you will need that is not in the kit and you must have is a set of calipers, you will need to know when your cases are to long and how deep you are setting your bullets.  The kit will work and load you up some ammo, but the first thing that I upgraded on was the scale.  The lee scale works, but it is about a cheap as you can get.  I always checked with bullets and it was always right, but it is just cheap IMO.  The powder thrower was the next thing, mainly cause I ran across a used one on a good deal.  I still like the press and dies, they seem pretty good.   

Offline murphdog

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2008, 08:11:54 AM »
I am a new reloader, and I recently purchased the Lee hand press because (1) it was inexpensive, (2) I have no space for a dedicated loading bench, and (3) other reloaders had cautioned that I might be unhappy with the Lee Classic kit.  The hand press with primer, and a used Lee scale and set of Lee dies from the gun show cost me a total of $54.  I am very happy with the hand press.  It works well, and has plenty of oomph for what I am doing.  I am only loading 44 magnum, so I can't say whether its strong enough for larger bottleneck cartridges.  I would certainly recommend the hand press to anyone else starting out with pistol cartridges.  I have been weighing all my charges, and that is slow, so I am now craving a powder measure.  The Lee scale was very cheap, and it actually works, but it is a little touchy to keep it properly calibrated during use.  Maybe a better scale would speed things up.  The included Ram Prime is also a little tedious, and I've been told I would be happier with the hand primer (Lee Autoprime).  Thats about all I can contribute from my limited experience.  Hope it helps.
Duane

Offline 351 power

• A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2008, 01:52:16 PM »
i started with a lee "c" press and manual in a package deal. 25$ and read the book thru 2 times before starting to get dies, etc. i'm a slow learner but it taught me alot before i commited to reloading. decided to use ram prime and the powder dippers. i feel confident with the results i have got. i find that if i choose a powder that fits a dipper that gives me about 85% load density i get fine accuracy. and if it gives me a mid range load for pressure, there have been no problems. an example would be .223 rem.
     1.87cc case space    use a 1.6 cc dipper   h322 powder is 22.1g of powder   
every day is a gift. use it well

colour is a symbol of where you are from and not of who you are

Offline Chilachuck

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2008, 04:39:35 PM »
The first thing I bought to go with my Lee Loader was a priming tool. There's some old ones around that load one primer at a time, and they are better for saving space. Not available new. The auto primers are fine, just bulky. You don't really need them, just don't be surprised when you pop the occasional primer. Bad for the nerves and makes the cat jumpy, but that's all.

If you get a Hand Press, be sure to get the one with the priming attachment so you don't have to fuss. A scale is handy, otherwise get the dipper set. Get both, if you can afford it.

A few chamberings take a bit of grunting to resize. Find out if what you are reloading is one of them, and consider getting a bench press ifso. Carbide is good here, too.

Reloading tools are part of my "bad times" supplies, so I'm not selling any of mine, even though I'm not likely to use most of it. I can't tell ahead of time what part I will want, and what parts to give or trade to my neighbors so they can guard my back. But, if you are considering what to get that holds it's resell value, buy used Dillon. Keep the rust off and you can resell for about what you paid for it.

Offline tn_junk

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • A Real Regular
  • Look to Him
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2008, 02:58:42 AM »
I have a Lee Original (the one you bang with a hammer) along with some loading supplies as a part of my bug out kit.
I started loading 20 gauge with one about 40 years ago, progressed to loading .30-30 with another one, and still use one occasionally when I just want to put together a few experimental loads.

alan
Common Sense Ain't Very Common

Deceased May 20, 2009.  RIP Alan we miss you.

Offline FW Conch

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2008, 12:06:44 PM »

I'm a Lee Loader !  Get the Auto Prime & the scale as soon as you can swing it.  Then build from there.  :) 8) ;D Jim

-
Jim

Offline Illhunter

• A Real Regular
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2008, 01:03:07 PM »
i am looking for a handloader for right now have a few on ebay but can get them from cabela's for less than $30 and am trying to decide which to get the handloader or the classic getting a set of dies for 30-06 so that will have to be first rifle i buy