Author Topic: Off topic: tumbling broken glass  (Read 500 times)

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
Off topic: tumbling broken glass
« on: April 10, 2008, 07:46:01 AM »
My wife brought home some beautiful chips of broken glass from the Blinko factory in WV,  The colored glass pieces range from dime size to golf ball size.  They had very sharp edges. 

I put the glass in my vibrating case cleaner with old walnut media and ran it for two days.  The rough sharp edges were rounded down nicely.  We are happy with the results.

Question:  Can I continue to use this media or does it now contain micro glass particles? Got way more brass than I can ever use, so I guess I'll test it out.  I doubt the media is doing anything to the glass.  The smoothing of the sharp edges might be coming from glass to glass contact.

Anyone with an opinion?

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
Re: Off topic: tumbling broken glass
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 08:06:29 AM »
Go ahead and use it , woln't hurt a thing , walnut is very hard stuff , I've run rocks through mine for my little girl and then done brass the next day .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline KN

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 02:23:19 PM »
I wouldn't. I would clean out the tumbler well also before using it on any brass. I don't believe it would hurt the brass but I would worry about contaminating my dies.   KN

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 03:02:09 PM »
I wouldn't.  You might get minute particles of glass on your fingers and then in your eyes, on your food, and so forth.  Usually I'm kinda cavalier about some of the stuff we do but on this I think I'd be a chicken little. 
Have your wife buy you some new media. :D

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 03:44:40 PM »
You can dump it if it makes you feel better , but any glass still in there will have been rubbed smooth just like the pieces that you took out , we have used crushed walnut to blast steel clean for painting at work on more than one occasion .

I've even used it to clean the rust off of used dies that i have picked up at yard sales . I would be more worried about some other type of grit scraching the dies before i would worry about the glass .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Catfish

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 02:47:54 AM »
 I`m like Stimpylu, I don`t think it would hurt anything. What glass is there is dust and might act as a polish, but I doubt could scratch anything.

Offline wncchester

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2008, 03:21:32 AM »
Well, the powdered glass won't harm the brass.  But, any small residual glass dust remaining inside the cases will then get fired down your bores.   I wouldn't do it unless I had a rusty bore and wanted to blast clean it!
Common sense is an uncommon virtue