Author Topic: 357 Mag "short barrel" Handis....?  (Read 969 times)

Offline alan in ga

• Trade Count: (13)
  • A Real Regular
357 Mag "short barrel" Handis....?
« on: April 12, 2008, 04:50:15 AM »
I had a REoccurance of Handi Rifle fever a year or so ago when I saw a Limited Edition laminated [green/tan wood] straight gripped stocked rifle in a local gunshop. I have mounted a Leupold 2.5-8X Matte scope on it. I guess the correct terminology would be that I have a SCOPE with a HANDI RIFLE attached to it. ;D
I have taken it to the range one time and shot several factory loads thu it, both .38 Spl and .357 Mag ammo. Long throat and all, it shoots great.
Now,,,thinking of tinkering:
-any reason to keep the barrel at 22"? {reaming to MAX is always possible as I have the reamer - did this to a previous Handi 357 Max I had and sold].
-consider that I already have one Fed Tax stamp for a 22 silencer. Easy to get since I am INCorporated and need no 'letter' from local official or fingerprints. Just the $200 stamp and then the compensator. I saw one Handi .357 Mag already here on the site,,NEAT~!
-My first thoughts WERE to ream it to MAX,,but then, I wondered if it might be more accurate if left as is ESPECIALLY since I enjoy shooting low power Target Wadcutters out of it?

=so,,,IF I were to ream it out to .357 MAXIMUM, what would/should be the minimum barrel length? I know 16" is the absolute minimum for legallity, but I'm more concerned about loosing performance out of 'maximum Maximum' loads should I decide to take it deer hunting.

Just random thoughts,,,jump in and tell me what your's are.......anxious to hear them.
BTW,,it is an SB-2.

Offline bighemidaddy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Re: 357 Mag "short barrel" Handis....?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 05:30:07 AM »
I get 3 shots at 25yds. on a rest with my dan wesson 6in. barrel just about .75in
16in should work just fine.

bighemidaddy  ;)

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 05:59:20 AM »
The issue is one of expansion ratio which is the ratio of the powder capacity with unfired bullet to the capacity of the bore as the bullet exits the muzzle. Generally speaking, a higher expansion ratio means higher velocity from a given load, or better efficiency. However, an extremely high expansion ration doesn't give very much more velocity than a medium high ration. That's a long winded way of saying, "I'd expect the velocity gain from 16" to 22" will be less than 100 fps for .357 magnum loads and probably not much more than 100 fps for .357 Maximum loads. On the other hand, a singleshot with 22" barrel is already as short overall as a repeater with a 16" barrel so I can't see much need to shorten a singleshot. I'd leave it at 22", more to save the cost and bother of cutting and crowning than to save the 100 fps but if you really want a stubby little rifle, then go for it. ;D But you should also consider that chopping six inches off the barrel will both increase the muzzle blast and bring it closer to your ears.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline Daniel Laws

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 06:54:58 AM »
I can't speak for the 357 mag, but I do have a 45-70 that has been cut off to 18 in. of barrel length.  Much handier in an Alabama box blind, easier to handle in a tree stand, easier and quieter to drag thru the brush to wherever you are going.  If the guestimated 100 FPS that I lost makes any difference to the deer, I haven't noticed it.  I killed 5 with this gun last year, 5 shots fired.  Ranges from 30 ft. to 120 yds.  I use Hornady 300 gr bullets, loaded to mid-level speeds.  Trust me, the convenience of the short barrel more than outweighs any velocity losses you may suffer, plus it's just plain nasty looking with the stubby little barrel. 

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2008, 07:13:45 AM »
.357 Max was designed as a revolver round, so cutting the barrel down shouldn't cost much in performance and would really help when you add a foot of suppressor the the muzzle end.  I also think if you plan on mostly using lite wad cutters or SWCs  I wouldn't bother making a Max out of it. ( It believe that the sub sonic rounds are much more effective with a suppressor)  Load some 180gr FNGC hard cast bullet in .357 brass around 900 to 975 FPS and they probably won't be much if any louder than your suppressed .22, with about a half ton more punch on the receiving end. I would love to do just that but I can't justify the suppressor right now. I'd hunt deer with it if it's legal, Don't know if it is or not here in Kentucky.
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline alan in ga

• Trade Count: (13)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2008, 02:50:17 AM »
This thought brings up what I call a "working formula' for such gun projects:
"If in doubt, Don't~!"

I think I'll play with it as is a while longer. Still thinking a suppressor possibly. For now low powered wadcutters at 25-50 yards is tempting fun.
Maybe a deer or coyote as well.
Now I have a Leupold 2.5-8X Matt on it. I just did buy a used 22 with a Leupold 4X Compact on it [non rimfire version] and it looks like an even BETTER scope choice for this little "fun gun".
Thanks for the posts,,,,more welcome if you think of something.
By the way,,,those new laminate thumbhole stocks sure look neat.

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2008, 03:24:19 AM »
Just a word of CAUTION!
Although 16" barrels are the legal minimum length I seem to recall that there is also a MINIMUM OVERALL LENGTH for all long guns.
I can't recall the numbers right now but you may want to check into this.
While a 16" barrel is legal, it is the length of the action that comes into play here.
A single shot being much shorter than a bolt action.
If I am mistaken than someone please correct me.
Just don't want to see anyone getting into trouble with the DREADED BATFE!

LONGTOM
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline Steve P

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2008, 04:15:34 AM »
18" barrel with silencer.....SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!  Quick moving and plenty of punch.  Shoot the SWC out of Max brass and shoot it as a max.  I have a DW 357sm and a contender 10" in the max.  I would not be afraid to take deer size game out to 200 with either of them.  I can put my shots right where I want due to many years and thousands of rounds thru them.

Steve  :)
"Life is a play before an audience of One.  When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaude, or stay seated and cry?"  SP 2002

Offline Curt Dawson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2008, 07:28:59 AM »
Yea,I am debating cutting the barrel of my 45-70 down to 16"-18".I only reload to level one(trapdoor pressures).
'

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2008, 10:03:56 AM »
26" minimum OAL for shot guns and the bbl must be at least 18". Rifle barrel must be at least 16" if you have a butt stock on it but if you put a pistol grip on it it can be shorter
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline Lucky Joe

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2008, 04:01:37 PM »
Here is a thread that was started a while back. May be of interest to you. http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums//index.php/topic,90347.0.html
Lucky Joe

"There's always a way."