Author Topic: Firearms Safety  (Read 656 times)

Offline rockbilly

• Trade Count: (0)
Firearms Safety
« on: April 12, 2008, 05:08:09 PM »
I try to be safety conscience any time I am around a gun, but screwed up big time yesterday and had an AD in my shop.  I had just replaced the hammer spring on a Smith model 60 for a friend, I checked the gun out before putting it back in his holster and laying it on a table.  It was unloaded, and the five rounds of .357 were laying next to the gun.  I called the friend and told him his gun was ready, he showed up a short time later, took the gun out of the holster, checked to see if it was loaded, and dry fired it a couple of times, he then returned the gun to it's holster.  As we talked he made a comment about smoothing the action out a bit, I picked it up, pulled the hammer back and squeezed the trigger, BAM.  I didn't notice him reload the gun after he had checked it out.  I almost lost a finger on my left hand, shot a hole in a beautiful picture hanging on the wall, and put a nice hole clean through both walls.  The bullets flight took it out into a lake area where there are not normally very many people.  

This serves as a refresher course for me, from this day forward I will make it a practice that no one brings a loaded gun into my shop, nor do they load one while there.  It has also got my attention and now I will check every gun when I pick it up, makes no difference what the circumstances are.  I consider myself and friend to be very lucky.

Offline Savage

Re: Firearms Safety
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 02:45:36 AM »
Glad no one was injured! Thanks for sharing your valuable lesson in gun safety. It's just a reminder for all of us that: "All guns are always loaded, all the time"!
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline KN

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 01:52:14 PM »
Not to not pic or bash, But I don't believe in AD's. ND's yes.    KN

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 02:01:36 PM »
I test fit alot of ammo in the reloading process so this is a wake-up call to always check , thanks for sharing and glad both of you are OK .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline corbanzo

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 10:07:43 PM »
Me too. 

Last week.  Shot a hole through the garage roof.  Emptied out my golden boy, opened the action once, nothing came out, so cycled it again, and pulled the trigger to drop the hammer before putting it away.  Something came out that time, right out of the barrel.  Straight up.  So then I had to take out the rubber patch and climb up on the roof.... in the snow, to patch the hole.  Teathered myself to the truck, it was slippery as hell up there.  But at least I got a good patch on it.  And a .17 caliber hole isn't too awful horrible to fill. 
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."

Offline slim rem 7

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 04:40:01 PM »
  been there ,,done that .. just set there wondering how i could let it happen..you just never
assume anything.. check an double check.. :-[

Offline slim rem 7

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 02:49:45 AM »
  ive finally decided after seeing how potent my weopon is.. that i ll leave the chamber empty unless im going into an dangerouse place .. motels ,rest stops et..
 the whole concept of protection is dependent somewhat on my spotting potencial muggers etc..so hopefully this would mean i could slip a round in the chamber before the fireworks start..mine dont have real safty switches ....

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008, 04:12:44 AM »
Slim.  If you are going to carry empty, then you might as well not carry.  Generally speaking, by the time you detect a dangerous situation it is to late to jack a round in the chamber.  I carry FULLY loaded and READY!  The only exception might be to carry a DA revolver with the hammed down on an empty cylinder.

I think you will find most accidents occur like mine did, totally expected when you think you are safe.  Had my friend told me he had reloaded the gun, likely I would not have touched it, or if I did I would unload it.  This was not only a case of "Stupid" on my part, but a total lack of communications between the two of us.

Offline slim rem 7

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2008, 04:20:25 PM »
yep i said it but i didn t feel right not having a rnd ready..
  its hard to be careful enough .. my rule is dont do anything
with the gun but pull the trigger after ones in the chamber..
 i sold one last week to a friend.. i got to thinking that night and called him and reminded him to not clean ,show or do anything with his new gun .. without first taking the rd out the chamber.. after a rd is chambered and confirmed the only thing you do is shoot or unload it and confirm again..  he chuckled but i don t want to read about him in the paper..