Author Topic: RCBS lubricator/sizer  (Read 2037 times)

Offline flutedchamber

• Trade Count: (0)
RCBS lubricator/sizer
« on: April 13, 2008, 08:41:06 PM »
I understand from reading in other posts on this subject that the RCBS lubricator/sizer is a copy of the Lyman.  Is the RCBS units main body made of cast iron?  I checked the RCBS website but that information is not given.

Offline woodchukhntr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (108)
Re: RCBS lubricator/sizer
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 01:31:32 AM »
Mine is cast iron.  It accepts Lyman dies and punches.  I've never had a problem with it.  When I use it in the winter, I wrap a heat tape around it to warm up the lube to make it easier to use.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 03:28:43 AM »
To say the RCBS is a copy of the Lyman would be an error. It is similar enough in design and construction that it will use the Lyman dies but the RCBS dies work better in it than the Lyman do or at least in mine they do. It is a much superior tool to the Lyman in my experience and I gave away my Lyman to my cousin after getting my RCBS.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline flutedchamber

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 05:15:27 AM »
Thank you guys, you helped clear things up for me.  The RCBS is hard to beat, and they stand behind their products, something Lyman has yet to learn.

Offline Argonaut

• Avid Poster
  • Semper FI
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 04:54:55 PM »
Doesn't seem like anyone ever mentions the SEACO  sizer. It is a very nice sizer though is does cost a little more and so do the dies as they are not interchangeable with rcbs or lyman.  It uses solid sticks instead of hollow too.  I have never thought to look but I have no idea if lyman or rcbs uses hollow sticks, i always assumed that's what the hollow ones must be made for but maybe someone could clear that up for me.
4 years United States Marine Corps 1976-1980 (the entire carter adminstration)
16 years United States Air Force 1981-1997

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • When it ceases to be fun, I shall cease to do it.
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 06:06:21 PM »
My Lyman uses hollow sticks - I have it instead of any other because it was in the bottom of a box that I bought at a yard sale for $15. The box had some 10 pounds of pure lead (which I sold to a BPR shooter pal of mine) and some odds and ends of reloading stuff, but....under a pile of scrap leather, was this Lyman lubrisizer. Oh, this box also had my Lee 10# Electric melting pot. That was 15 years ago, guess I won't trade it now.

Regards,
Sweetwater
Regards,
Sweetwater

Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway - John Wayne

The proof is in the freezer - Sweetwater

Offline muskeg13

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008, 09:08:20 PM »
RCBS customer service is great!  After 15 years of hard use, the yoke on the arm of my Lube-A-Matic broke.  I have no idea how old the unit is since I bought it at a gun show.  When I called RCBS, they said they would send the part to me that day, at no charge.  The lady at RCBS said they guarantee their products for life.  It didn't matter how old or how many owners the unit had.  I had the part in less than a week.

Offline Gun Runner

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 04:31:16 AM »
I'am with muskeg13 on RCBS service. (I live 54 miles from them) Got a older luber/sizer  in a trade deal. The handle was missing so called them about buying a handle. Lady said one would be in the mail next day at no charge. (cost them $6 and change to mail it) Explained I had gotten it used and was willing to pay for it. They said it was still under warrenty even if I was the 50th owner. Hard to beat a deal like that.
Also have a Lyman 45- (plus a spare parts one) needed a part and lyman charged for the part and shipping.

Gun Runner

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • When it ceases to be fun, I shall cease to do it.
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 04:45:18 PM »
Sounds like some great testimony for RCBS - thanks for sharing that!

I stated my Lyman was a 45, it is a 450, but they still charged me for the parts and shipping - maybe I should find a new home for it after all and pony up for the RCBS model. I do like the way they both work and I have a fair mix of Lyman and RCBS dies and top punches on hand.

Regards,
Sweetwater
Regards,
Sweetwater

Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway - John Wayne

The proof is in the freezer - Sweetwater

Offline Ireload2

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 10:17:15 AM »
The first RCBS lubricator was just the Lachmiller copy of the Lyman with the name changed.  About the only difference was the improved handle and linkage design with the mickey mouse automatic wrench feature.. I still have the RCBS sizer I bought in 1975. The later Lubamatic II was almost a step backward but it was an attempt at avoiding the problems caused by bone heads running the thing out of lube and jamming the compression piston in the bottom of the casting with no way to get it out.  Now they back out the big top nut and break the E clip and mess up the compression screw.

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008, 02:47:34 PM »
Some of us boneheads keep messing up o-rings.... ::) But the customer service just sends new ones.....
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!