Author Topic: scope adjustable  (Read 1146 times)

Offline jamaldog87

• Trade Count: (0)
scope adjustable
« on: April 14, 2008, 10:56:33 AM »
i was told that adjustable scopes that every time you adjust them for 3x to say 6x that it hurts   it a little , is that true?
Most Interesting Man in the World: I Don’t Always Watch Shows for Little Girls, but when I Do, I prefer My Little pony . stay magic my friends

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
Re: scope adjustable
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 12:44:51 PM »
Other than a bit of wear on the threads i don't think so.
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten

Offline 30-06man

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 05:34:24 PM »
Hurts what a little? The point of impact? I haven't had any issues with it, but others claimed they have.
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline Brithunter

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 01:42:14 AM »
Does the scope cry?

No now seriously if you buy cheap then you expect cheap and problems. It's been well reported that cheap varible scopes often change point of impact when changing magnification and if it's one of the newer Chinese made scopes check that the eyepiece is secure and does not wobble. Seems it's a common problem with them! and if it does then the reticule is moving inside the scope and basically it's useless.

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 03:50:49 AM »
Does the scope cry?

No now seriously if you buy cheap then you expect cheap and problems. It's been well reported that cheap varible scopes often change point of impact when changing magnification and if it's one of the newer Chinese made scopes check that the eyepiece is secure and does not wobble. Seems it's a common problem with them! and if it does then the reticule is moving inside the scope and basically it's useless.

Exactly. I would stick to Nikons, Leupold, and other upper end scopes. Don't look over the Chinese Muller Scope though.
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline corbanzo

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 07:22:55 AM »
I have had some super cheap airgun/rimfire scopes that the POI changed when you changed the magnification.   But we are talking $30 3-9's here. 

I have never had that problem as such with a real rifle scope, and I crank my magnification back and forth pretty often. 
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008, 11:36:35 AM »
I'm thinging that it isn't so much where the scope is made anymore but rather the QC that it is held to.  Also, they make components all over the globe and assemble them in yet another spot. Kinda like these "made in America" cars. 

Anytime you move moving parts there is a certain amount of wear.  The way to avoid this in a scope is to use fixed power scopes.  We buy a 3x9 and then carry it set on one power 99% of the time and only use 9x when we sight it in.  But then, I have some vintage Weaver 1.5x5 scopes that are @ 40+ years old that are still bright and tight.

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2008, 12:28:41 PM »

see that what i thought, cause i was at a new gun store and i was going to get a used Bushnell Banner 6-24x for 100$ but someone say that adjustable are damage everything you adjust them but i think he just wanted me to get the Tasco scope cause it was more money(it was 150$ for some reason)
Most Interesting Man in the World: I Don’t Always Watch Shows for Little Girls, but when I Do, I prefer My Little pony . stay magic my friends

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2008, 04:44:11 PM »

see that what i thought, cause i was at a new gun store and i was going to get a used Bushnell Banner 6-24x for 100$ but someone say that adjustable are damage everything you adjust them but i think he just wanted me to get the Tasco scope cause it was more money(it was 150$ for some reason)

That Tasco's price is too high and I wouldn't pay that much for a used Bushnell Banner as you can get the same one new for the same price if you look around. I would look at Mueller if you are in that price range.

http://www.muelleroptics.com/

Rick

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008, 06:43:13 AM »
That Tasco's price is too high and I wouldn't pay that much for a used Bushnell Banner as you can get the same one new for the same price if you look around. I would look at Mueller if you are in that price range.

http://www.muelleroptics.com/
[/quote]

if i go to my gun store most likey i could find something for less cause i buy a lot of stuff when i do go in and he will make a deal( i got 2 boxs of old 44mag bullets for 3$). the other day i asked i ask bob and he said just about every scope will hold up pretty well even the cheap scopes on a rim fire or varmint gun( he pointed out that my 4x15mm daisy scope i have been using for years on both airguns and my 22LR and he will hold zero) but the better scopes are better glass and will last for years. i like www.riflescopes.com or sportmanguide.com for my scope from on-line.  he has a nikko stirling gold crown airking 4-12x42 ao for 100$ but will go 50$ for me( no one wants it and it came off a Savage Mark II and the scope was just a add on) really he paid 120 for that gun and has it for sell for 185 without the scope.

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2008, 04:19:09 PM »

A rimfire scope will NOT hold up a Air gun and a Airgun scope will NOT hold up a rimfire. The recoil both guns are totally diffrent and it will cause both to fail unless it is designed for both such as some upper end scopes like the Leupold.

Rick

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2008, 11:32:58 AM »

A rimfire scope will NOT hold up a Air gun and a Airgun scope will NOT hold up a rimfire. The recoil both guns are totally diffrent and it will cause both to fail unless it is designed for both such as some upper end scopes like the Leupold.

I know that, i have a pump-up gun so there no recoil at all. Also airgun scope that are made for spring piston gun will hold up on any gun from .22 to 338win mags(that why Leupolds are the best for both spring piston guns and real guns) the nikko stirling gold crown airking 4-12x42 ao  is a airgun scope made for spring piston guns.

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2008, 11:58:39 AM »

I know that, i have a pump-up gun so there no recoil at all. Also airgun scope that are made for spring piston gun will hold up on any gun from .22 to 338win mags(that why Leupolds are the best for both spring piston guns and real guns) the nikko stirling gold crown airking 4-12x42 ao  is a airgun scope made for spring piston guns.

Airguns have foward recoil and that will kill any scope not designed and a Leupold rimfire or any rimfire scope is not suggested for a airgun. Also when you pump the air gun it can cause damage to the scope.

Rick

Offline Brithunter

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2008, 11:43:26 PM »
Actually Spring powered air guns unless of specil design with sledges or opposign pistons and springs have double recoil as they start off going forwards then when the piston hit the cushion of air at the end ot it's stroke it bounces and then settles causing the recoil to changer directions and it's this abrut change that wrecks scopes and shakes them loose on the rails. My Fienwerkbau 127 trys to shake the scope and mount forwards as attested to by the mark made by the arrester bolt through the Rhino one piece mount.

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2008, 11:02:48 AM »
go to http://straightshooters.com/navagationpages/scopeselections.html  and the Leupold  EFR  is under Heavy Recoil Scopes.

Offline Brithunter

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2008, 09:50:58 AM »
if I was going to spend the money a new Leupold costs then I would wait a little longer and get a Pecar Berlin or Schmidt & Bender and get the better optics as well.